PASSED Security Plus Today!!! (probably a redundant thread)

chungerballchungerball Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the Security Plus exam today with a 825/900! I believe that if you have already acquired the Network plus cert, you're chances of passing it will greatly be increased. The test was much more difficult than I expected (probably other people as well). There were questions that I would never would have expected to be on the exam, which might have been the ungraded ones.

Darril gibson's book was my primary study guide for the exam, and I read it thoroughly twice (which I highly recommend). My advice for future security plus exam takers is to have Darrils book as the priority study guide, with other supplemental guides such as Sybexs' version. You have to understand the material thoroughly in order pass the test without having a heart attack like I had, and not spent too much time on the hundreds of study questions that are out there (I personally don't find it to be too effective and redundant). Many of the questions require critical thinking to narrow down to the best answer. Wow...Long rant. I'm done.

Chungerball

Comments

• cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Xargon61Xargon61 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • GiddyGGiddyG Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Great pass.
    WIP:

CCENT; CCNA; CWSP; 70-680; CompTIA Stitchup+
  • chungerballchungerball Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks alot fellas and gals!!! I had passed both the A+ and Network Plus in the last couple of months before this security+ exam. I actually thought that the A+ exam was more strenuous compared to the other two because there was much broader topics compared the others....
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My approach on the tests have been to power through all 100 questions in the first 30 minutes, and then go back and take the rest of the remaining 60 minutes and re-read each question carefully. This strategy has helped me a great deal because it made it less stressful knowing the last 60 minutes would be a reviewing process. I hope my advice could help....
  • Magic RavioliMagic Ravioli Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! :D

I completely agree about the difficulty of the exam, it was harder than I expected it to be.

Do you know what you're going to study next?
  • botbillbotbill Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the Security Plus exam today with a 825/900! I believe that if you have already acquired the Network plus cert, you're chances of passing it will greatly be increased. The test was much more difficult than I expected (probably other people as well). There were questions that I would never would have expected to be on the exam, which might have been the ungraded ones.

Darril gibson's book was my primary study guide for the exam, and I read it thoroughly twice (which I highly recommend). My advice for future security plus exam takers is to have Darrils book as the priority study guide, with other supplemental guides such as Sybexs' version. You have to understand the material thoroughly in order pass the test without having a heart attack like I had, and not spent too much time on the hundreds of study questions that are out there (I personally don't find it to be too effective and redundant). Many of the questions require critical thinking to narrow down to the best answer. Wow...Long rant. I'm done.

Chungerball
    congrats!!! i hope i will pass next week
    working on cissp, ceh and pmp
    Congrats! :D

I completely agree about the difficulty of the exam, it was harder than I expected it to be.

Do you know what you're going to study next?

Thanks for asking. I have accrued CompTIA's A+, Network+, and Security+ thus far, and I'm trying to enter the IT field since I majored and graduated in Information Techology with a bachelors degree. I would think that I should be done with compTIA certifcations since the other certs are not too relevant to me. I think that going for microsoft's MCSA/MCSE would be the next big step regarding becoming a future network administrator. What do you think should be my next step? :)
    botbill wrote: »
    congrats!!! i hope i will pass next week

What have been your primary study materials???
    Congrats!!!! icon_cheers.gif

Thanks!!! I see that you are in the process of pursuing many certs in a relevatively short period of time...That seems like alot to take in!!! How is your progress so far?
  • botbillbotbill Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What have been your primary study materials???

Darrill's book, google, prelogic selft test, and selftestsoftware.
    working on cissp, ceh and pmp
  • LordMarshalLordMarshal Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magic RavioliMagic Ravioli Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for asking. I have accrued CompTIA's A+, Network+, and Security+ thus far, and I'm trying to enter the IT field since I majored and graduated in Information Techology with a bachelors degree. I would think that I should be done with compTIA certifcations since the other certs are not too relevant to me. I think that going for microsoft's MCSA/MCSE would be the next big step regarding becoming a future network administrator. What do you think should be my next step? :)

I think the MCSA would be great if you're looking to become a network administrator - I'm no expert on different types of qualifications but that seems like a logical step, and then maybe the MCSE if you feel the need to take things further. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to go for it! :D
    I think the MCSA would be great if you're looking to become a network administrator - I'm no expert on different types of qualifications but that seems like a logical step, and then maybe the MCSE if you feel the need to take things further. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to go for it! :D

I'll probably be going for the MCSA because I just found out that both the Network+ and security+ exam counts as an elective for the MCSA! Crazy I didn't know about that.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.