Questions Regarding The CCNP

teksource1984teksource1984 Member Posts: 100
Fellas,

I'm currently pursuing my CCNA and wanted to ask a few questions about the CCNP certification. I will deeply appreciate your feedback since im really new to the Cisco program.

-Can someone without any work experience on Cisco routers or switches sit in for the CCNP exams ? if yes, how difficult will the content be ?

-Is the CCNP certification regarded as a tough or valuable cert to have ? how do employers view it ?

- I heard Cisco will be changing the 4 part sequence of the exam to 3 in a few months, is this true ? if so, how will this be better?

-If I become CCNP certified in a couple of years will my CCNA also be renewed ?

-Will a CCNP combined with an MCITP cert look good on my resume ?

Comments

• jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    -Can someone without any work experience on Cisco routers or switches sit in for the CCNP exams ? if yes, how difficult will the content be ?

I have only some basic IPSec tunnel experience from work, I have never had a job doing cisco networking. I feel as though the CCNP material is as difficult as anything in college, including data structures in c++. You don't need work experience to succeed, but I would say you need hands on experience in the form of a lab.
    - I heard Cisco will be changing the 4 part sequence of the exam to 3 in a few months, is this true ? if so, how will this be better?

Yes. I think that the addition of the TSHOOT exam makes the CCNP program far stronger. I have been reviewing materials for the TSHOOT and it is a unique set of information based on real world troubleshooting.

Yes. Every time I have passed a CCNP exam my CCNA expatriation date changes to 3 years from the date of passing an NP level exam.

The other questions I don't know about.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□

Work experience is not a requirement for sitting the exams but is highly recommended. If you have never worked on a live Cisco-based network I think the content will be pretty tough.
    -Is the CCNP certification regarded as a tough or valuable cert to have ? how do employers view it ?

Definitely. Cisco Certifications are widely respected and a CCNP shows that you not only understand the basic concepts but have deep knowledge in the major areas.

The are introducing a whole new troubleshooting exam (TSHOOT), which will test your ability to diagnose and fix configurations. You can read feedback from people who have taken the beta-exams and from what I hear it's pretty tough.

Yes. Higher Cisco Certifications always renew the lower ones. Even just passing one CCNP exam will renew your CCNA.

A CCNP is always good but, in my opinion, it needs to be backed up by work experience. CCNP jobs are serious stuff and if I would be hiring people I would not only look for the cert but more for the experience. Theory is all fine and dandy but nothing beats real-world experience.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • NuulNuul Member Posts: 158

It's possible, but it's not probable. If you were to have a good lab and really have a good knowledge of the material you could pull it off. Keep in mind that the CCNP is designed for people that have a few years of admin under their belt.
    It's a good tool to help you get an interview, but it's not going to land you a job on it's own. Most places wanting a CCNP are also wanting 5-10 years experience as well.

It's a beautiful thing. It will be nearly impossible to brain **** your way into a CCNP. Which in turn makes the cert have more value in the job market since the "paper" CCNP will cease to exist.
    Yes, your CCNA is extended each time you pass a CCNP level or above exam.
    Yes, I wouldn't count on it getting you a job in and of itself though. Almost every job out there wants experience + certs or just the experience. Certs have gradually lost their value over the years because of all the brain **** and boot camps. They still add value to your resume, but it's not like it was in the late 90s where you could pass the CCNP, quit your job in the morning and have a job after lunch making $30,000 more.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Having had 3 year experince managing switches I can tell you that teh CCNP SWITCH exam is still TOUGH!!

its a questions of, the network should do this, this, and this. here's the commands line of the devices, set it up and run some commands to show its working...

as well as directed questions to see if you know the facts.

IF you don't know your way around the technologies then you will struggle. CISCO don't ask set questions. they expect you to know the ideas and to be able to work several ideas together as you go...
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lordy wrote: »
    A CCNP is always good but, in my opinion, it needs to be backed up by work experience. CCNP jobs are serious stuff and if I would be hiring people I would not only look for the cert but more for the experience. Theory is all fine and dandy but nothing beats real-world experience.

For that level of work, I understand your reasoning. Question though, would you consider someone strongly who had the CCNP, but was applying for a CCNA level position without any direct experience with Cisco in the field?
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    I would. But if you were going head to head with a CCNA w/ experience, then it will probably all come down to the interview. I sit in on interviews from time to time and we ask ridiculously hard questions, just to see what the response will be and if you can think on your toes. If you do better then your competition then I see no reason you could not pull it off. So make sure to brush up those skills as well.