building an Olive PC

m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
I would like to build a physical Olive machine in ATX case. Starting from NIC's, those ones should work fine:
* Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 and Pro/100B (82558 / 82558B chipset)
* Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ Management Adapter (82559 chipset)
* Intel Pro/1000MT Desktop Gigabit Adapter
* Intel Pro/1000MT Dual Port Server Adapter (FW82546EB chipset)
* Intel ICH3 Onboard Controller (82801CAM)
* Compaq NC3120 (82258 chipset)
* Compaq NC3121 (82558B chipset)
* Compaq NC3134 (82559 chipset - 1496 MTU when using Dot1q)
* Matrox QS-NIC Quad FE NIC (8255x chipset)
* Radisys Quad Ethernet' FE NIC (82559ER chipset - 1496 MTU when using Dot1q)

I have ordered four Intel Pro/100+ 82558B NIC's from eBay. Then I have a Chieftec BH-01B-B-B case and 400W ATX 2.2 PSU(ATX connector is 20+4) and two 80GB PATA Seagate HDD's + PATA optical device. What else do I need in order to run newest JunOS? Obviously a motherboard with at least 4 PCI slots, but what socket? And which CPU would be fine? A P4/Athlon? Would 2*512MB SDRAM be fine? Is it good to have an integrated serial port on the motherboard?icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As long as the NIC's are supported you can build an olive from just about anything. I used two old Nokia firewalls where the shipping cost more than the units and shipping was only $30. I have member seraphus to thank for that see his thread as a sticky here. http://www.techexams.net/forums/juniper-certifications/46233-1u-olive.html

Most all things Olive can be found on cluepon Olive - Juniper Clue
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    m4rtin wrote: »
    I have ordered four Intel Pro/100+ 82558B NIC's from eBay. Then I have a Chieftec BH-01B-B-B case and 400W ATX 2.2 PSU(ATX connector is 20+4) and two 80GB PATA Seagate HDD's + PATA optical device. What else do I need in order to run newest JunOS?

I can't verify what will work with the latest version of JUNOS. Hoogen has just verified that 8.1 was on the JNCIE lab (assuming you're interested in the M&T series track).

http://www.techexams.net/forums/juniper-certifications/52194-junos-verion-book-lab.html

I can tell you I run 9.0R1.10 on my PC Olive, and 8.4R1.13 on my Nokia Olives. (9.0R1.10 was the latest version available to me when I last upgraded, but my Nokia Olives don't have enough ram to support 9.0R1.10).
    Obviously a motherboard with at least 4 PCI slots, but what socket?

Since you're building a PC Olive, why not get a Matrox QS-NIC Quad FE NIC or two?
    Per Aldur, you can use up to 8 ports on the PC Olive, and two of these cards will allow you to do just that while only using two PCI slots. (Of course, that's just a personal preference. I do realize you have already ordered your cards.)

The number of PCI slots is more important that the CPU socket type, as far as the motherboard is concerned. The CPU socket type shouldn't make a difference. But as The Shadow said, Juniper Clue (Olive - Juniper Clue) has most things on the Olive.
    And which CPU would be fine? A P4/Athlon?

It shouldn't matter. I used an old AMD eMachine for my PC Olive.
    Would 2*512MB SDRAM be fine?

1G of RAM would easily run the JUNOS versions I run. I have 1GB of RAM in my PC Olive, and my Nokia Olives have 256MB of RAM.
    Is it good to have an integrated serial port on the motherboard?icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes. Then you can connect a RJ45/DB9 adapter and use a standard console cable to access your Olive. (Sid Smokes has adapter pinouts here: Sid Smokes)
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
    seraphus, TheShadow thanks for answers!

Did I understand correctly, that Juniper certificate lab uses few releases older version than the current one if 8.1 was on the JNCIE lab and the current Junos release is 10.1?

seraphus, by Matrox QS-NIC Quad FE NIC you mean fallowing card:
    Matrox Shark NS-100/4 4-Port 10/100 Network Card?

Does DDR SDRAM and DDR2 SDRAM work as well? Or only (PC100 or PC133) SDRAM?

Generally speaking, as I understand Junos is based on FreeBSD 4.4 icon_rolleyes.gif If yes, then probably hardware, which is good for FreeBSD 4.4, is good for Olive as well? Does Juniper newer versions use newer version of FreeBSD? Or am I able to install for example FreeBSD 8.0 i386 instead of FreeBSD 4.4 i386 and then install jinstall on top of it?
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Did I understand correctly, that Juniper certificate lab uses few releases older version than the current one if 8.1 was on the JNCIE lab and the current Junos release is 10.1?

Yes that is right, I can assure you that for JNCIP and JNCIE M/T.. For JNCIE-ER I am thinking and maybe Aldur posts might have answers..the version is also 8.1... That's the only question I can answer.. I am not that good with olives to answer the rest...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    seraphus, by Matrox QS-NIC Quad FE NIC you mean fallowing card:
    Matrox Shark NS-100/4 4-Port 10/100 Network Card?

No. I have two of these (though I paid lower):

MATROX NS-QNIC 948-0001. Great deals on eBay!

You can verify the chipset for your cards at Olive - Juniper Clue. That will let you know exactly what to use.
    Does DDR SDRAM and DDR2 SDRAM work as well? Or only (PC100 or PC133) SDRAM?

It should make no difference.
    Generally speaking, as I understand Junos is based on FreeBSD 4.4 icon_rolleyes.gifIf yes, then probably hardware, which is good for FreeBSD 4.4, is good for Olive as well?

I would assume so.
    Does Juniper newer versions use newer version of FreeBSD?

I don't know the answer to this one.
    Or am I able to install for example FreeBSD 8.0 i386 instead of FreeBSD 4.4 i386 and then install jinstall on top of it?

I used FreeBSD 4.4. I recommend that, as that is what worked for me.
    Ok, thanks for tips :) However, is an Olive with for example 8 physical ports somehow much better than an Olive with 2 physical ports? Is it a big advantage to have more than two physical ports in order to learn Junos and use this Olive in the lab?
    Ok, thanks for tips :) However, is an Olive with for example 8 physical ports somehow much better than an Olive with 2 physical ports? Is it a big advantage to have more than two physical ports in order to learn Junos and use this Olive in the lab?

Well, no, not necessarily. Again, personal preference.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460

extra physical ports is aways nice. It allows you to have extra ports per router and you can end up putting any extra unused physical ports inside a logical router.

Something else to keep in mind is that you can slice up each port into vlans and virtually get as many p2p links as you could want. I did this with my J2300 routers since they only come with 2 FE ports.

Basically took one FE port, plugged it into a switch, sliced it up into vlans, and repeated the process with the rest of the routers. This allowed me to have 5 or 6 p2p links per port. Kind of hard to explain in words so if you'd like me to post a diagram explaining it let me know.

Back to the original question, you can never go wrong with more ports :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    Aldur wrote: »
    Kind of hard to explain in words so if you'd like me to post a diagram explaining it let me know.

I could have sworn that you had already posted something to this effect, but didn't see it in the searches I tried. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll vote now for a posting of this diagram!
    +1 for Aldur diagram.

One more thing. As I understand, I need jinstall package in order to install Junos on FreeBSD 4.4. However, it looks like it's not free:
    Juniper wrote:
    To download the software packages, you must have a service contract and an access account.

A friend of mine has access to a Juniper M series router, which has 9.3R3.8 installed on it. Is it possible to download this software to a computer once the user is logged in to the Juniper(for example using the scp)?icon_rolleyes.gif
    I think in a post a while back I went into detail about slicing up a port into vlans but don't think I did a diagram. I'll work on a diagram/sample configs and hopefully get it posted tomorrow.

Yes you can log into a Juniper router and pull the jinstall file if it hasn't been erased from when it was installed. Typically people don't erase the jinstall used to upgrade the router so it might be there.

-Bender
    I think in a post a while back I went into detail about slicing up a port into vlans but don't think I did a diagram. I'll work on a diagram/sample configs and hopefully get it posted tomorrow.

Looking forward to that... I'd like to set a friend up with 2 Nokia Olives and a switch...

(not to mention the uber-utilization of my own lab)
    One more question- as far as I know, (older)integrated graphics are usually using PCI. However, is AGP supported in FreeBSD 4.4 as well?
    One more question- as far as I know, (older)integrated graphics are usually using PCI. However, is AGP supported in FreeBSD 4.4 as well?

well for the latest 3D Junos graphics you need it least a 2gb video card with a cooling system that takes up 2 rooms ;)

You'll actually need to console in to the olive via the serial port, this may pose a problem with using a newer computer.... man I should of thought to tell you this earlier icon_neutral.gif

-Bender
    I have hardware ready for my Olive machine:
    img5361.th.jpg

..plus one Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ Management Adapter (82559 chipset):
    img5364j.th.jpg

..plus one MATROX NS-QNIC 948-0001 Quad Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter is ordered(should arrive within a week) :)

I have installed FreeBSD 4.11 with minimal feature-set. However, not there is something wrong with FreeBSD 4.11, does Olive support newer versions of FreeBSD as well?
    Yes you can log into a Juniper router and pull the jinstall file if it hasn't been erased from when it was installed. Typically people don't erase the jinstall used to upgrade the router so it might be there.
    Could you please specify, how to pull jinstall file from a Juniper router?
    I have installed FreeBSD 4.11 with minimal feature-set. However, not there is something wrong with FreeBSD 4.11, does Olive support newer versions of FreeBSD as well?

hmm... Well I used 4.4 and didn't have any problems. Maybe try that?

Could you please specify, how to pull jinstall file from a Juniper router?

Well it depends on a few things, to get the jinstall file on a router it has to be FTP'd there and typically that jinstall file isn't removed after a router is upgraded.

So if you have access to a lab Juniper router, know where the jinstall file was stored on the router to have it upgraded, and the jinstall file wasn't erased after the upgrade then you can simple FTP it off the router.

For example in my home lab I FTP'd the jinstall file to my /var/tmp/ directory and then upgraded my router.

After the upgrade the jinstall package is still there. I could then FTP to the router and down the package off of it.

HTH

-Bender
    hmm... Well I used 4.4 and didn't have any problems. Maybe try that?

I'll try with 4.11 at first because it's already installed and as much as I have checked, drivers for all the hardware components are nicely installed. I just thought is there a particular reason to use older FreeBSD versions instead of current onesicon_rolleyes.gif

Well it depends on a few things, to get the jinstall file on a router it has to be FTP'd there and typically that jinstall file isn't removed after a router is upgraded.

So if you have access to a lab Juniper router, know where the jinstall file was stored on the router to have it upgraded, and the jinstall file wasn't erased after the upgrade then you can simple FTP it off the router.

For example in my home lab I FTP'd the jinstall file to my /var/tmp/ directory and then upgraded my router.

After the upgrade the jinstall package is still there. I could then FTP to the router and down the package off of it.

HTH
    Ok, I see:) And as much as I have researches scp should work as well.

Does anybody know, will network card with SB82558B chip work as well?
    I'll try with 4.11 at first because it's already installed and as much as I have checked, drivers for all the hardware components are nicely installed. I just thought is there a particular reason to use older FreeBSD versions instead of current onesicon_rolleyes.gif

Ahh yea, misread your actual question. I think 4.11 should work, give it a shot and let us know.

Does anybody know, will network card with SB82558B chip work as well?

Not to terrible sure, if you got it handy give it a shot.

I used the following with my olives. Seems they've gone down in price too.

Intel Dual NIC E139761 PCI Network Card 711269-003 Used - eBay (item 190358226924 end time May-13-10 13:10:53 PDT)

-Bender
    Now I finally have this dual-port SB825558B:
    photo3bf.th.jpg

The only step left, as I understand, is to install jinstall package. I have fallowing packages available:
    jinstall-7.3R2.9-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-7.4R3.4-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-7.6R4.3-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-8.2R4.5-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-8.3R1.5-export-signed.tgz
    jinstall-8.4R1.13-export-signed.tgz
    jinstall-8.5R2.6-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-8.5R2.10-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-8.5R3.4-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-9.1R3.5-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-9.4R2.9-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-9.4R3.5-domestic-signed.tgz
    jinstall-9.4R4.5-domestic-signed.tgz

As I understand, not all of those jinstall packages are suitable for install. Which ones are? I mean is there some sort of general rule, which jinstall packages are upgrade only and which ones are suitable for installation as well?icon_rolleyes.gif
    How do I know, if installation went fine or not(with pkg_add jinstall-xxx.tgz)?icon_rolleyes.gif
    Sweet! nice looking NIC you got there ;)

I've heard of good results using anything in the 7.x area and experienced bad results with anything in 8.x area. I personally had the best success with 7.0.

Once the Jinstall files has been installed you'll need to reboot the olive. Once you've done that you'll need to monitor the router through a terminal window. The router will load up and reboot automatically. On the second reboot you will hopefully see a login prompt with the word amnesiac above it.

From there I'd recommend plugging in some of the NICs, configuring IP addresses, and doing ping tests. When I first did this I bought a bunch of old computers that appeared to work correctly but come to find out they wouldn't work with dual NICs, just single NICs...

-Bender
    As I understand, not all of those jinstall packages are suitable for install. Which ones are? I mean is there some sort of general rule, which jinstall packages are upgrade only and which ones are suitable for installation as well?icon_rolleyes.gif
    How do I know, if installation went fine or not(with pkg_add jinstall-xxx.tgz)?icon_rolleyes.gif

I've heard of good results using anything in the 7.x area and experienced bad results with anything in 8.x area. I personally had the best success with 7.0.

To second Aldur, you will have better (or at least eaiser) results installing a JUNOS version 7.4 or lower. Juniper Clue gets into the details of why Olive - Juniper Clue.

I personally installed jinstall-7.4R1.7-export-signed.tgz, then upgraded. This worked well on my Nokia Olives and my PC Olive.
  • froggy3132000froggy3132000 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can go straight to 8.5 by installing FreeBSD 6.X

1G for / partition - ad0s1a
    1G for swap - ad0s1b
    1G for /tmp - ad0s1d
    1G for /config - ad0s1e
    5G for /var - ad0s1f

We need to untar the signed jinstall file first:

#cd /var/tmp
    #mkdir jinst-signed
    #cd jinst-signed
    #tar zxvf ../jinstall-8.5R3.4-domestic-signed.tgz

Then untar the unsigned image:

#mkdir jinst
    #cd jinst
    #tar zxvf ../jinstall--8.5R3.4-domestic.tgz

Extract the pkgtools.tgz file and replace the checkpic binary inside with /usr/bin/true :

#mkdir pkgtools
    #cd pkgtools
    #tar zxvf ../pkgtools.tgz
    #cd bin
    #cp /usr/bin/true ./checkpic
    #cd ..

Create tar for pkgtools then remove the directory:

#tar zcvf ../pkgtools.tgz *
    #cd ..
    #rm -rf pkgtools

Create tar for the new jinstall package with modified checkpic

#tar zcfv /var/tmp/jinstall-8.5R3.4-domestic-olive.tgz *

Then install the new jinstall with bsd pkg_add tool:

#pkg_add -f /var/tmp/jinstall-8.5R3.4-domestic-olive.tgz
    Sweet! icon_cheers.gif

Thanks for the info froggy, I'll have to try this if I get some time.

-Bender
    froggy3132000, Aldur:

I installed FreeBSD 6.4 i386. I set up following slices and partitions:
    2048MB for / - ad0s1a - UFS2
    2048MB for swap - ad0s1b - SWAP
    2048MB for /tmp - ad0s1d - UFS2+S
    2048MB for /config - ad0s1e - UFS2+S
    5G for /var - ad0s1f - UFS2+S

For canned distribution set I used "Minimal". FreeBSD 6.4 i386 installation went successfully and after replacing the checkpic binary with true, I proceeded with installation of jinstall-8.5R3.4-domestic-signed.tgz:
    pkg_add -f jinstall-8.5R3.4-domestic-olive.tgz >$ install.log

install.log file looks following:

img5446u.th.jpg

img5447g.th.jpg

This doesn't look good, does it? However, then I did reboot and saved console output to a file(I missed the very beginning of the console output):
    tar: +CONTENTS: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010610 s in the future 
    tar: +COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010610 s in the future  
    tar: +DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010610 s in the future     
    tar: +INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010610 s in the future
    tar: +DEINSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010610 s in the future
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010610 s in the future
    tar: packages/jbase-8.5R3.4: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010610 s in the future
    tar: �X�����ͽjbase-8.5R3.4.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010610 s in the future
    tar: packages/jbase-8.5R3.4.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010610 s in the future
    tar: jbase.symlinks: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010607 s in the future
    Mounted jbase on /mnt/packages/mnt/jbase (/dev/md2)

AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
    Adding jbundle-8.5R3.4-domestic.tgz...
    tar: +CONTENTS: time stamp Apr 24 04:20 2008 is 1209010779 s in the future
    tar: +COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:20 2008 is 1209010779 s in the future
    tar: +DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:20 2008 is 1209010779 s in the future
    tar: +INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:20 2008 is 1209010779 s in the future
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:20 2008 is 1209010779 s in the future
    tar: pkgtools.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010734 s in the future
    tar: pkgtools.tgz.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010734 s in the future
    tar: pkgtools.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010734 s in the future
    tar: jboot-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:16 2008 is 1209010573 s in the future
    tar: jboot-8.5R3.4.tgz.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:16 2008 is 1209010573 s in the future
    tar: jboot-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:16 2008 is 1209010573 s in the future
    tar: jbase-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010600 s in the future
    tar: jbase-8.5R3.4.tgz.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010600 s in the future
    tar: jbase-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010600 s in the future
    tar: jkernel-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010662 s in the future
    tar: jkernel-8.5R3.4.tgz.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010662 s in the future
    tar: jkernel-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010662 s in the future
    tar: jcrypto-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010697 s in the future
    tar: jcrypto-8.5R3.4.tgz.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010697 s in the future
    tar: jcrypto-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010697 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010735 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-8.5R3.4.tgz.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010735 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010736 s in the future
    tar: jroute-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010680 s in the future
    tar: jroute-8.5R3.4.tgz.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010680 s in the future
    tar: jroute-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010680 s in the future
    tar: jdocs-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: jdocs-8.5R3.4.tgz.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: jdocs-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: +require.jboot: time stamp Apr 24 04:20 2008 is 1209010772 s in the future
    tar: +install.jboot: time stamp Apr 24 04:20 2008 is 1209010772 s in the future
    tar: +clean.jboot: time stamp Apr 24 04:20 2008 is 1209010772 s in the future
    Checking package integrity...
    Verified SHA1 checksum of jbase-8.5R3.4.tgz
    Verified SHA1 checksum of jboot-8.5R3.4.tgz
    Verified SHA1 checksum of jcrypto-8.5R3.4.tgz
    Verified SHA1 checksum of jdocs-8.5R3.4.tgz
    Verified SHA1 checksum of jkernel-8.5R3.4.tgz
    Verified SHA1 checksum of jpfe-8.5R3.4.tgz
    Verified SHA1 checksum of jroute-8.5R3.4.tgz
    Verified SHA1 checksum of pkgtools.tgz
    Running requirements check first for jbundle-8.5R3.4-domestic...
    Running pre-install for jbundle-8.5R3.4-domestic...
    Installing jbundle-8.5R3.4-domestic in /var/tmp/pa1653.33/jbundle-8.5R3.4-domestic.x1653...
    Running post-install for jbundle-8.5R3.4-domestic...
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:17 2008 is 1209010591 s in the future
    Adding jkernel...
    tar: +CONTENTS: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010651 s in the future
    tar: +COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010651 s in the future
    tar: +DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010651 s in the future
    tar: +INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010651 s in the future
    tar: +DEINSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010651 s in the future
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010651 s in the future
    tar: packages/jkernel-8.5R3.4: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010649 s in the future
    tar: packages/jkernel-8.5R3.4.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010649 s in the future
    tar: packages/jkernel-8.5R3.4.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010649 s in the future
    tar: jkernel.symlinks: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010644 s in the future
    Adding jcrypto...
    tar: +CONTENTS: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: +COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: +DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: +INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: +DEINSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: packages/jcrypto-8.5R3.4: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: packages/jcrypto-8.5R3.4.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: packages/jcrypto-8.5R3.4.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: jcrypto.symlinks: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010683 s in the future
    Adding jpfe...
    tar: +CONTENTS: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010720 s in the future
    tar: +COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010720 s in the future
    tar: +DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010720 s in the future
    tar: +INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010720 s in the future
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010720 s in the future
    tar: pkgtools.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010719 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-common-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010691 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-common-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010691 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M160-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010693 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M160-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010693 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M40-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010695 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M40-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010696 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M10-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010696 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M10-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010696 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M7i-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010703 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M7i-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010703 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-T-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010701 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-T-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010701 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M320-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010708 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M320-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010708 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M120-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010713 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-M120-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010713 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-X960-8.5R3.4.tgz: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010715 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-X960-8.5R3.4.tgz.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010715 s in the future
    tar: +check.jpfe: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010715 s in the future
    WARNING: hw.product.model='unknown' using jpfe-M40
    tar: +CONTENTS: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010686 s in the future
    tar: +COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010686 s in the future
    tar: +DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010686 s in the future
    tar: +INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010686 s in the future
    tar: +DEINSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010686 s in the future
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010686 s in the future
    tar: packages/jpfe-common-8.5R3.4: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010684 s in the future
    tar: packages/jpfe-common-8.5R3.4.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010685 s in the future
    tar: packages/jpfe-common-8.5R3.4.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010685 s in the future
    tar: jpfe-common.symlinks: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010682 s in the future
    tar: +CONTENTS: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010690 s in the future
    tar: +COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010690 s in the future
    tar: +DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010690 s in the future
    tar: +INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010690 s in the future
    tar: +DEINSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010690 s in the future
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010690 s in the future
    tar: packages/jpfe-M40-8.5R3.4: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010690 s in the future
    tar: packages/jpfe-M40-8.5R3.4.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010690 s in the future
    tar: packages/jpfe-M40-8.5R3.4.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010690 s in the future
    tar: jpfe.symlinks: time stamp Apr 24 04:19 2008 is 1209010689 s in the future
    Adding jdocs...
    tar: +CONTENTS: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    tar: +COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    tar: +DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    tar: +INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    tar: +DEINSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    tar: packages/jdocs-8.5R3.4: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    tar: packages/jdocs-8.5R3.4.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    tar: packages/jdocs-8.5R3.4.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    tar: jdocs.symlinks: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010668 s in the future
    Adding jroute...
    tar: +CONTENTS: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010663 s in the future
    tar: +COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010663 s in the future
    tar: +DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010663 s in the future
    tar: +INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010663 s in the future
    tar: +DEINSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010663 s in the future
    tar: +REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010663 s in the future
    tar: packages/jroute-8.5R3.4: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010662 s in the future
    tar: packages/jroute-8.5R3.4.md5: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010662 s in the future
    tar: packages/jroute-8.5R3.4.sha1: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010662 s in the future
    tar: jroute.symlinks: time stamp Apr 24 04:18 2008 is 1209010660 s in the future
    Restoring backed up configurations...
    tar: var/db/locate.database: time stamp Nov 26 07:22 2008 is 1227684074 s in the future
    tar: var/db/mountdtab: time stamp Nov 26 12:36 2008 is 1227702914 s in the future
    tar: var/db/pkg/jinstall/+DESC: time stamp Apr 24 04:21 2008 is 1209010842 s in the future
    tar: var/db/pkg/jinstall/+COMMENT: time stamp Apr 24 04:21 2008 is 1209010842 s in the future
    tar: var/db/pkg/jinstall/+INSTALL: time stamp Apr 24 04:21 2008 is 1209010842 s in the future
    tar: var/db/pkg/jinstall/+REQUIRE: time stamp Apr 24 04:21 2008 is 1209010842 s in the future
    tar: var/db/pkg/jinstall/+CONTENTS: time stamp Nov 26 13:01 2008 is 1227704414 s in the future
    tar: var/db/entropy/saved-entropy.1: time stamp Nov 26 13:00 2008 is 1227704343 s in the future
    tar: var/db/entropy/saved-entropy.2: time stamp Nov 26 12:55 2008 is 1227704043 s in the future
    tar: var/db/entropy/saved-entropy.3: time stamp Nov 26 12:44 2008 is 1227703384 s in the future
    tar: etc/ssh/ssh_config: time stamp Nov 26 07:22 2008 is 1227684074 s in the future
    tar: etc/ssh/sshd_config: time stamp Nov 26 07:22 2008 is 1227684074 s in the future
    tar: etc/ssh/moduli: time stamp Nov 26 07:22 2008 is 1227684074 s in the future
    tar: var/tmp/preinstall_boot_loader.conf: time stamp Nov 26 13:01 2008 is 1227704422 s in the future
    Unmounted /mnt/packages/mnt/jbase
    machdep.bootsuccess: 0 -> 0
     -> Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop...done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop...done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
    Syncing disks, vnodes remaining...0 0 done

syncing disks... All buffers synced.
    Uptime: 1m9s
    Normal shutdown (no **** device defined)
    Rebooting...
    /kernel text=0x8f7840 data=0x4e7c8+0x7343c syms=[0x4+0x8ef30+0x4+0x91766]

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or space bar for command prompt.
    Booting [/kernel]...               
    ACPI autoload failed - no such file or directory
    Olive CPU
    GDB: debug ports: sio
    GDB: current port: sio
    KDB: debugger backends: ddb gdb
    KDB: current backend: ddb
    Copyright (c) 1996-2008, Juniper Networks, Inc.
    All rights reserved.
    Copyright (c) 1992-2006 The FreeBSD Project.
    Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
            The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
    JUNOS 8.5R3.4 #0: 2008-04-24 03:40:14 UTC
        builder@rahu.juniper.net:/volume/build/junos/8.5/release/8.5R3.4/obj-i386/sys/compile/JUNIPER
    Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) processor (1000.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
      Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x644  Stepping = 4
      Features=0x183fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
      AMD Features=0xc0440800<SYSCALL,<b18>,MMX+,3DNow+,3DNow>
    real memory  = 1072562176 (1022 MB)
    avail memory = 1037811712 (989 MB)
    cpu0 on motherboard
    pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> pcibus 0 on motherboard
    pir0: <PCI Interrupt Routing Table: 12 Entries> on motherboard
    pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
    $PIR: No matching entry for 0.1.INTA
    $PIR: No matching entry for 0.2.INTA
    $PIR: No matching entry for 0.2.INTB
    $PIR: No matching entry for 0.2.INTC
    $PIR: No matching entry for 0.4.INTA
    $PIR: No matching entry for 0.6.INTA
    $PIR: No matching entry for 0.11.INTA
    pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.1 (no driver attached)
    pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.2 (no driver attached)
    pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.3 (no driver attached)
    pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.4 (no driver attached)
    pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.5 (no driver attached)
    isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
    isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
    ichsmb0: <SMBus controller> port 0xe500-0xe51f irq 5 at device 1.1 on pci0
    ichsmb0: can't map I/O
    device_attach: ichsmb0 attach returned 6
    pci0: <serial bus, USB> at device 2.0 (no driver attached)
    pci0: <serial bus, USB> at device 2.1 (no driver attached)
    pci0: <serial bus, USB> at device 2.2 (no driver attached)
    pci0: <bridge> at device 4.0 (no driver attached)
    pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 6.0 (no driver attached)
    pcib1: <PCIBIOS PCI-PCI bridge> at device 8.0 on pci0
    pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
    pci1: <display, VGA> at device 6.0 (no driver attached)
    pcib2: <PCI-PCI bridge> at device 7.0 on pci1
    pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib2
    $PIR: ROUTE_INTERRUPT failed.
    fxp0: <Intel 82558 Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xb000-0xb01f mem 0xec000000-0xec000fff,0xe8000000-0xe80fffff irq 11 at device 4.02
    fxp0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    fxp1: <Intel 82558 Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xb100-0xb11f mem 0xec001000-0xec001fff,0xe8100000-0xe81fffff irq 9 at device 5.0 2
    fxp1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    fxp2: <Intel 82559 Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xd000-0xd03f mem 0xea300000-0xea300fff,0xea000000-0xea0fffff irq 9 at device 8.0 1
    fxp2: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    pcib3: <PCI-PCI bridge> at device 9.0 on pci1
    pci3: <PCI bus> on pcib3
    fxp3: <Intel 82559ER Embedded 10/100 Ethernet> port 0xc000-0xc03f mem 0xe9083000-0xe9083fff,0xe9000000-0xe901ffff irq 5 at d3
    fxp3: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    fxp4: <Intel 82559ER Embedded 10/100 Ethernet> port 0xc100-0xc13f mem 0xe9081000-0xe9081fff,0xe9020000-0xe903ffff irq 5 at d3
    fxp4: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    fxp5: <Intel 82559ER Embedded 10/100 Ethernet> port 0xc200-0xc23f mem 0xe9080000-0xe9080fff,0xe9040000-0xe905ffff irq 11 at 3
    fxp5: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    fxp6: <Intel 82559ER Embedded 10/100 Ethernet> port 0xc300-0xc33f mem 0xe9082000-0xe9082fff,0xe9060000-0xe907ffff irq 9 at d3
    fxp6: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    fxp7: <Intel 82559 Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xd100-0xd13f mem 0xea301000-0xea301fff,0xea100000-0xea1fffff irq 5 at device 10.01
    fxp7: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    atapci0: <nVidia nForce2 Pro UDMA133 controller> port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xf000-0xf00f at device 9.0 on pci0
    ata0: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
    ata1: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
    atapci1: <nVidia nForce2 Pro SATA150 controller> port 0x9f0-0x9f7,0xbf0-0xbf3,0x970-0x977,0xb70-0xb73,0xea00-0xea0f,0xeb00-00
    ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci1
    ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci1
    pcib4: <PCI-PCI bridge> at device 30.0 on pci0
    pci4: <PCI bus> on pcib4
    orm0: <ISA Option ROMs> at iomem 0xc0000-0xc7fff,0xc8000-0xc97ff,0xca000-0xcafff,0xcb000-0xcbfff on isa0
    fdc0: <Enhanced floppy controller> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
    fdc0: [FAST]
    fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
    atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
    atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
    atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
    sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
    sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x100>
    sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x90 on isa0
    sio0: type 16550A, console
    sio1: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
    sio1: port may not be enabled
    sio2 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
    sio2: type 16550A
    sio3: configured irq 7 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
    sio3: port may not be enabled
    fxp0: Ethernet address 00:d0:b7:61:36:60
    fxp1: Ethernet address 00:d0:b7:61:36:61
    fxp2: Ethernet address 00:90:27:44:d0:95
    fxp3: Ethernet address 00:20:fc:1e:2e:64
    fxp4: Ethernet address 00:20:fc:1e:2e:65
    fxp5: Ethernet address 00:20:fc:1e:2e:66
    fxp6: Ethernet address 00:20:fc:1e:2e:67
    fxp7: Ethernet address 00:90:27:90:b4:38
    Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1000005604 Hz quality 800
    Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
    IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
    ad0: 117800MB <HDS722512VLAT80 V33OA6EA> at ata0-master UDMA100
    if_pfe_open: listener socket opened, listening on ...
    Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
    Invalid time in real time clock.
    Check and reset the date immediately!
    Attaching /packages/jbase via /dev/mdctl...
    Mounted jbase package on /dev/md0...

Verified manifest signed by PackageProduction_8_5_0
    Verified jboot signed by PackageProduction_8_5_0
    Mounted jkernel package on /dev/md1...
    Mounted jpfe package on /dev/md2...
    Mounted jdocs package on /dev/md3...
    Mounted jroute package on /dev/md4...
    Mounted jcrypto package on /dev/md5...
    Mounted jpfe-common package on /dev/md6...
    swapon: adding /dev/ad0s1b as swap device
    Automatic reboot in progress...
    /dev/ad0s1a: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
    /dev/ad0s1a: clean, 980347 free (67 frags, 122535 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
    /dev/ad0s1e: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
    /dev/ad0s1e: clean, 1030709 free (21 frags, 128836 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
    /dev/ad0s1f: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
    /dev/ad0s1f: clean, 2307915 free (171 frags, 288468 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
    tunefs: soft updates remains unchanged as enabled
    Creating initial configuration...mgd: error: Cannot open configuration file: /config/juniper.conf
    mgd: warning: activating factory configuration
    mgd: commit complete
    Setting initial options:  debugger_on_panic=NO debugger_on_break=NO.
    Starting optional daemons: .
    Doing initial network setup:
    Initial interface configuration:
    additional daemons:.
    checking for core ****...
    savecore: could not be determined
    savecore: could not be determined
    savecore: no **** found
    Additional routing options: ipsec kld.
    Doing additional network setup:.
    Starting final network daemons:.
    setting ldconfig path: /usr/lib /opt/lib
    starting standard daemons: cron.
    Initial rc.i386 initialization: microcode kld.

Database Initialization Utility
    RDM Embedded 7 [04-Aug-2006] http://www.birdstep.com
    Copyright (c) 1992-2006 Birdstep Technology, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

session_db initialized

Local package initialization:.
    kern.securelevel: -1 -> 1
    starting local daemons:.
    root@%   1 00:01:24 UTC 1970
    root@% 00:01:25 
    root@% c (ttyd0)
    root@% 
    root@% 
    root@% 
    root@% c (ttyd0)
    root@% 
    root@% root
    root@% 
    root@% OS 8.5R3.4 built 2008-04-24 03:40:14 UTC
    root@% 
    root@% cli
    root> show version 
    Model: olive
    JUNOS Base OS boot [8.5R3.4]
    JUNOS Base OS Software Suite [8.5R3.4]
    JUNOS Kernel Software Suite [8.5R3.4]
    JUNOS Crypto Software Suite [8.5R3.4]
    JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Support (M/T Common) [8.5R3.4]
    JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Support (M20/M40) [8.5R3.4]
    JUNOS Online Documentation [8.5R3.4]
    JUNOS Routing Software Suite [8.5R3.4]

root> 

Any comments/remark to this installation icon_rolleyes.gif Is it possible to upgrade from here to jinstall-10.1R1.8?

What purpose this checkpic has? Something related to checking the PIC's during the installation of JUNOS?
    Finally I copied jinstall-10.1R1.8 to /var and made:
    request system software add no-validate force jinstall-10.1R1.8-domestic-.tgz

According to Juniper official information one is not able to upgrade by more than three releases at a time, but using force and no-validate I managed to upgrade 9 releases at once :) However, probably not the brightest idea in live network. Finally running 10.1R1.8:
    root> show version 
    Model: olive
    JUNOS Base OS boot [10.1R1.8]
    JUNOS Base OS Software Suite [10.1R1.8]
    JUNOS Kernel Software Suite [10.1R1.8]
    JUNOS Crypto Software Suite [10.1R1.8]
    JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Support (M/T Common) [10.1R1.8]
    JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Support (M20/M40) [10.1R1.8]
    JUNOS Online Documentation [10.1R1.8]
    JUNOS Voice Services Container package [10.1R1.8]
    JUNOS Border Gateway Function package [10.1R1.8]
    JUNOS Services AACL Container package [10.1R1.8]