i need help in creating my objective for my Resume

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
im trying to get a position of a system administrator, actually an assistant system adminstrator. I just dont know how to word it right.

The guy likes me and he wants to see my Resume.

I tried something like this but I cant finish it!

"To obtain an administrative position that allows me to learn new technologies while utilizing my past experience"

Is this good???
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    The objective is typically a boiled-down version of the information you would put in the resume's cover letter. It lets the reader know what your objectives and goals are with respect to employment.

Keep the objective short (one or two sentences) and very general. Don't put anything into the objective that will give a prospective employer the idea that s/he shouldn't bother reading the rest of your resume. For example, if you mention a desire to work with Cisco and Novell technologies, but the employer is looking for a Bay Networks and Microsoft person, then you'll be out of luck. (Although this may not be a bad thing is you only work with Cisco/Novell.)

Some examples i pulled off the web:
      To provide your organization with the best possible computer and systems administration, maintenance and support services.

Seeking a varied and diverse system administration or development position requiring new and creative applications of technology.

I am a talented, results-driven IT leader with versatile, cross-platform experience in systems/network architecture, installation, implementation, integration, security, and administration in local and remote environments for diverse client industries.

Here's a page on resume objectives: http://businessmajors.about.com/od/resumehel1/a/resume23.htm

You can find Microsoft Word templates for resumes and cover letters at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT061993551033.aspx
    • drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
      You may actually be better off scrapping the Objective and using that space to better document your skills and achievements. A lot of employers will skip past the objective because 99% of the time it is a bunch of fluff and BS anyway.
    • CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
      drewm320 wrote:
      You may actually be better off scrapping the Objective and using that space to better document your skills and achievements. A lot of employers will skip past the objective because 99% of the time it is a bunch of fluff and BS anyway.

There is some truth to that, but often your resume is sent to whoever is hiring without the cover sheet, and the objective can be useful to get a glimpse at the person behind the resume. Objective statements are a catch-22, "damned if you don't, damned if you do."
      Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
      Cherper wrote:
      Objective statements are a catch-22, "damned if you don't, damned if you do."
      This is why you don't put any specific information in the objective. Remember, you don't want any possible job. You want a job that you will actually enjoy and will look good on a resume. The objective section helps potential employers realize that you want a job in IT or programming, and not as a janitor or a cashier.

You will find that all standard resume format have an "objective" section. A resume without this section will appear non-standard and will possibly be judged as unprofessional.
    • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
      jdmurray thanks man and the rest of you guys, thanks for that info!

Im going to try some of the words from your example.
    • CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
      jdmurray wrote:
      You will find that all standard resume format have an "objective" section. A resume without this section will appear non-standard and will possibly be judged as unprofessional.

I agree with you that all standard resumes have an objective format, and I have one on mine. I think that biggest complaint is that a few lines will take too much space away from the technical information that they could put on their resume. My opinion is that maybe they are putting too much info (useless fluff) in and they should cut it out and focus the resume to the specific job.
      Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
      Cherper wrote:
      I think that biggest complaint is that a few lines will take too much space away from the technical information that they could put on their resume.
      Change the font from Arial 12 to New Time Roman 11 and new space will appear.

Alternately, you can trim out all of the keywords for the technologies that you no longer wish to work in. I removed all mentions of DDE, OLE, MFC, HTML, and assembly language from my resume, and that opened up some space.
      say, this is what I have as my objective!

To obtain an entry level position as a System Administrator of a Windows based network.

what do you guys think?
      If that's accurate and what you want, then that's all you need for a resume objective.

Congrats! :P
      for my beginning job, that is what I am applying for and the guy likes me!!

Thanks dude, I needed to know if it was to the point!

This is my beginning job, I want to get into security or networking! I guess I will decided after experiencing the CCNA and Security+
    • AL36078AL36078 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
      Please don't bore your potential employer with vague and general objective statements. You have to realize that they might be sifting through hundres of resumes. If I saw a statement like that- it would indicate to me that this person doesn't exactly know what it is he wants to do. I would probably toss it immediately without looking further. Try to make your resume interesting- I know that is hard to do-. Don't be afraid to play with the format either- as long as its easily readable. Most people subscribe to the recommended objective statements- which are painful to even look at. If you can make yours interesting it would cause me to look over the entire document carefully. If you are an entry level IT worker- be honest and tell me why I should give you a chance. You have nothing to lose vs the run of the mill crap I see all the time.