Options

Some book recommendations please?

TenisuBakaTenisuBaka Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am studying for TSHOOT right now. I have the 3 available Cisco Press resources, but was just wondering if anyone has any other good recommendations.

I the Study Guide and Cert Guides for BSCI and BCMSN. I have Routing TCP/IP Volume 1. I would like something similar to the Doyle book for switching. I also know practically nothing about security, so I am feeling quite insecure about the tunneling parts of the TSHOOT exam.

I do have the cert guides for ONT and ISCW however. But just curious for some people's suggestions for some real gems.

Comments

• Options
    ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TenisuBaka wrote: »
    Hello,

I am studying for TSHOOT right now. I have the 3 available Cisco Press resources, but was just wondering if anyone has any other good recommendations.

I the Study Guide and Cert Guides for BSCI and BCMSN. I have Routing TCP/IP Volume 1. I would like something similar to the Doyle book for switching. I also know practically nothing about security, so I am feeling quite insecure about the tunneling parts of the TSHOOT exam.

I do have the cert guides for ONT and ISCW however. But just curious for some people's suggestions for some real gems.

The only thing similar to doyle for cisco switching afaik is Cisco LAN switching, which is pretty outdated for NP purposes. It doesn't cover MST and a couple other things iirc. The BCMSN cert guide is actually a pretty good book.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Kennedy's book is a massive tome, but it's probably the best dissertation I've ever read on layer 2 switching. As mentioned, it is a bit dated, and I would sacrifice the souls of 1000 geeks for an updated edition, but it's still worth reading for a good grounding in the fundamentals. Read that, and then the Cisco white papers will be enough to catch you up on the modern topics of switching, though for MST in particular, this blog post is very good:

Understanding MSTP | CCIE Blog
  • Options
    TenisuBakaTenisuBaka Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cool.

Thanks guys.

I have recently discovered I really don't learn too well from beginner or intermediate type books as they try to explain concepts and such with way too much humanization style of writing. I very much prefer the style of Doyle or even some nice little articles here and there on cisco's site.

Having said that, any recommendations for security and remote access?
  • Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    There is a TSHOOT exam certification guide. It has good reviews on Amazon. I am getting a free copy of it at the up coming Cisco Live conference.

Amazon.com: CCNP TSHOOT 642-832 Official Certification Guide (978158705844icon_cool.gif: Kevin Wallace: Books