Options

Just received a new goodie from my job.

ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
My company was changing our wireless provider and the new one does not use Cisco equipment so I was able to take this home a few weeks ago. Not a bad upgrade for my CCNA Lab.

It's and 1841 with the Advanced Security bundle and the VPN card. Also has a T1 WIC and a 4 port Ethernet WIC.

wpid-2010-03-29-19.17.53.jpg
Working on currently:
Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1

Comments

• Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice, there is no better equipment like free equipment!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I think you need to give that to me...
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Niiiiiiiiccccccceeeee!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cha' Ching!

What a score!
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definite score! I pulled several broken 7206vxr chassis out of the dumpster at my previous employer and was able to produce one working chassis with the parts. It was pretty rewarding.

That router should help you for a while :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Definite score! I pulled several broken 7206vxr chassis out of the dumpster at my previous employer and was able to produce one working chassis with the parts. It was pretty rewarding.

LOL!! That's great....I would love to find a dumpster with thrown out gear....
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Good catch! An 1841 is a nice small router. I use one as my home router now and I've not had any problems with it. It is overkill for a CCNA lab but it won't hurt anything to use it and it doesn't have crazy power consumption or noise level like the big chassis routers do :)
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    thats awsome dude!!! i want one 2 icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I am hoping to get a second one from a sister property that changed as well, I know the supervisors very well :) Now if I just need to upgrade my 2600's to XM models and I will be set.
    Working on currently:
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thats nice.. its alsways nice to get some thing like that from work :)

MY lab at work is made up from half the spares we have laying around :) It's with the understanding that if needed it goes back..

but to have upto date equpment in you lab is great, and with the security service pack thats even better!!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    ajmatson wrote: »
    I am hoping to get a second one from a sister property that changed as well, I know the supervisors very well :) Now if I just need to upgrade my 2600's to XM models and I will be set.

Those 2600's are really really cheap so don't fret it....just check out eBay...
  • Options
    steve514steve514 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ...and where did you say you work?? lol
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    My company was changing our wireless provider and the new one does not use Cisco equipment so I was able to take this home a few weeks ago. Not a bad upgrade for my CCNA Lab.

It's and 1841 with the Advanced Security bundle and the VPN card. Also has a T1 WIC and a 4 port Ethernet WIC.
    Nobody likes show offs and gloaters on this forumicon_wink.gif
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    ik I'm not trying to be a show off I'm just excited. I really needed this with my studies sine I am a father and a student all rolled up in one I really don't have the cash for the good stuff. If all goes well however; I may plan on donating one of my 2600's here :)
    Working on currently:
  • Options
    ik I'm not trying to be a show off I'm just excited. I really needed this with my studies sine I am a father and a student all rolled up in one I really don't have the cash for the good stuff. If all goes well however; I may plan on donating one of my 2600's here :)

That would be a nice gesture. If you were to go this route, I'd hold a contest or some kind of raffle.
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking ;)
    Working on currently:
  • Options
    tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have some older gear if needed to donate, 2500's and 2924xl switches 2 of each. I see the comments to stay clear of these, they worked great for me. Let me know if needed.
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010
  • Options
    mensmens Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey if you don't need the hwic-4esw or whatever its name is you can sell it on ebay for like 450 bucks. I sold mine in one minute. True story, last week :)
  • Options
    mens wrote: »
    hey if you don't need the hwic-4esw or whatever its name is you can sell it on ebay for like 450 bucks. I sold mine in one minute. True story, last week :)

Really??? Damn, This may sound like a noobish question but do I really need it with my switches in my Lab? What good is it really for anyway?

I plan on going thru my CCNA: Security and CCNP. Do you think I would need it for that?
    Working on currently:
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I plan on going thru my CCNA: Security and CCNP. Do you think I would need it for that?
    Definately not needed.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what a coincidence just what I need can I have it ? lol icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    duzzeyduzzey Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool stuff
    CCENT ICDN1 - Passed 29/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 26/03/10
    Studying for CCNP
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    tiersten wrote: »
    Good catch! An 1841 is a nice small router. I use one as my home router now and I've not had any problems with it. It is overkill for a CCNA lab but it won't hurt anything to use it and it doesn't have crazy power consumption or noise level like the big chassis routers do :)

+1

Been using an 1841 as my Home DSL gateway from quite some time now....running a HWIC-ADSL2+ & a HWIC-4ESW.... has been rock solid.

Nice score indeed my friend..... ;)

HWIC-4ESW comes in handy... I wouldn't sell it if I were you... allows me the extra switchports to trunk over to my rack\run my 7960G SIP phone\perform inter-vlan routing on the 1841 and you can then use the routed ports for other functions (for instance I use them as imitation WAN interfaces to labup things like MPLS-TE, AToM).

Remember the fixed ports are 'routed' ports and you can't use them for any sort switching functionality like you would with the HWIC-4ESW.

So basically what I'm saying is.... you never know when you might just want the functionality on the 1841 when you are labbing things up for the CCNP... CCSP... CCIP....who knows what qual you might chase down... :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Paul Boz wrote: »

You are my hero..... can you dumpster dive a 7206VXR for me pwease?

Don't tell me you got an NPE-G1 for your efforts as well....... :D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP