Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    motogpman wrote: »
    I hold TE as THE best IT forum that I have been to and continue to visit. Also, thanks to everyone in this thread for the info and help.

Somewhere out there icon_wm.gif is smiling....
    Ok, a great big thank you to Veritas, Ear, and AJ for the help.

NP, there is a TE thread on the WGU IT Community forums. Leave a post on there and I will catch up with you on the WGU Messenger. icon_thumright.gif
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    I appreciate the offers for the referral as well.

My CC is also on their partner list, so looks like this is turning out to be a no brainer.

Community College Transfers | Online University Admissions | Western Governors University Online
    Welcome Community College Graduates
    As a community college graduate, you’re eligible for an application fee waiver (a savings of $65). Talk to an Enrollment Counselor about how to receive this waiver. If your community college is a member of WGU’s Community College Partnership Program, you’re also eligible for two special benefits. First, you are immediately eligible to receive a 5 percent tuition discount for the entirety of your degree program.

Hope that helps. They might waive the fee.
    CCNP :study:
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you guys getting multiple gift certs or just helping because you are such nice guys?
    They are just being nice guys icon_thumright.gif

I think they can get 1 gift card a year -- or something like that. But I think they can still refer people to save YOU the application fee.

If someone else who can earn the Amazon Gift Card (I think that's the referral perk) doesn't get back to you, these guys are your fallback option for saving the application fee $.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    On a side note, I looked at someone's pic the took of their diploma. I have to say that I was impressed with the quality, it didn't look cheap like some other well respected B&M colleges I've seen. The looks don't make the degree, but it is nice to have something that looks like a Bently versus a Yugo when you've worked hard to earn it. Just my 2 cents.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    azjag-albums-certs-picture125-wgu-diploma.jpg

I am kinda shocked that with such a large following on TE for WGU nobody has posted what the degree looks like.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    I am kinda shocked that with such a large following on TE for WGU nobody has posted what the degree looks like.[/QUOTE]

I take it you haven't looked at the beginning of the thread? LOL I try to keep it up to date. Thanks for the scanned diploma! I will add it to the thread.
    I have to admit I missed that. But i was looking for a picture and not a link. That and this thread is 16 pages long. Since March no less.
    My bad. =)
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    azjag wrote: »
    I have to admit I missed that. But i was looking for a picture and not a link. That and this thread is 16 pages long. Since March no less.
    My bad. =)

I was just teasing...

So you have graduated from WGU? How has it helped you out so far in your career?
    I looked at the original pic shot of the Diploma in a nice looking frame (black framed Dip that someone took up against a room wall). Did the diploma come in that frame or was it purchased separately? Just asking, since the framing and cardboard surrounding diploma look professionally done, hence my original post.

I went online and searched WGU's reputation and reviews. Several sites have a few "supposedly" unhappy prior students posting statements that are obviously false. I am sure that some people haven't been happy at some point, but it just goes to show how many of those people either DON'T read, research, are the "I'm used to everyone else spoon feeding me in life," or didn't properly listen to WGU's policies prior to becoming a student. I got the feeling that some of them were just bloggers writing crap.

How can anyone expect ALL their credits to transfer from one CC or B&M to another, let alone WGU? People have even posted statements about WGU's IT programs without even mentioning how the IT industry certifications are acquired during the degree program. Personally, I think it may be their "competition" since most of the posts I read were completely off base and I am not even an enrolled student yet. I don't think that WGU is perfect, but I also think that some people might not be motivated enough to do well and then trash WGU for their own deficiencies.

On that note, has anyone actually had issues transferring to a B&M after finishing WGU for a Masters or PHD? I haven't run across any actual data on the feasibility of transfers without actually going to specific B&M's to find out. Being from the South Texas area, I am going to look into A&M, Sam Houston, and UT. I will post what I find out.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    On that note, has anyone actually had issues transferring to a B&M after finishing WGU for a Masters or PHD? I haven't run across any actual data on the feasibility of transfers without actually going to specific B&M's to find out. Being from the South Texas area, I am going to look into A&M, Sam Houston, and UT. I will post what I find out.

I've read that A&M is happy to take WGU grads. Can't remember where I read that, though.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    I left a message with one of their counselors, will be contacting Sam H and UT in a few minutes. Pete, I was expecting some Aggie jokes from your post, LOL.

Waiting for responses from admissions for UT, A&M, and SHSU. Once i get everything back, I will repost the findings. I am curious though, each person I spoke to said that they needed "course" numbers and when I gave them the code off of the WGU PDF they didn't have a clue about what those related to. Does anyone know if there is a list for converting WGU's course numbers to common course numbers?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Just dont count on an national championship at ol' UT, its all SEC all the time. icon_cool.gif
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    WGU has finally updated the IT Security degree PDF. icon_thumright.gif

I am going to go through it later just to verify everything that they changed.
    CCNP :study:
    I left a message with one of their counselors, will be contacting Sam H and UT in a few minutes. Pete, I was expecting some Aggie jokes from your post, LOL.

. . .Does anyone know if there is a list for converting WGU's course numbers to common course numbers?

The SoCal high school I went to had one of the best "aggie" programs in the area, so I can't kid too much. :: chuckle ::

I doubt there's a course number mapping. I think you'd probably have to shoot the program PDF over and see what they say. Personally, I'd rather look up the stated requirements on the target college's website and go from there. As an example, I looked at Cal State's masters pages yesterday, and it indicated they want two things from your bachelor's: 1) regional accreditation, 2) a minimum GPA. I recall WGU having a canned letter to take care of the GPA question, so it shouldn't be hard to get into Cal State if you wanted to (assuming you do OK on the GMAT).

There are some regionally accredited master's programs out there (Amberton U in Texas, for example) that will take anyone as long as they have a regionally accredited bachelor's degree.
    --Will Rogers
    Well,

Here is the skinny from my WGU counselor..... He did give me a link:

http://kb.wgu.edu/display/2/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=9.295291E-02

It is for the College of IT Undergraduate PDF. It should be the second one from the far right window.

I will send it to their admission contacts for review.

***Down here, it is either A&M or UT that holds the most weight. Having a diploma from those 3 I listed, especially A&M is a huge deal. This is Aggieland ya know.

I'll keep at it and post again. Hopefully it will help someone too.

Pete: Gotcha. I am from the Valley/Bay Area in CA, so Agg stuff was big. FFA and VICA. It is amazing how many people I tell that to can't seem to believe that California has good ol boys. Guess it's that mental picture Hollywood has put in their heads that portrays everyone being blond, blue eyed, and surfers. I do miss the weather and Santa Cruz/Monterrey for beaches, but that's it.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

***Down here, it is either A&M or UT that holds the most weight. Having a diploma from those 3 I listed, especially A&M is a huge deal. This is Aggieland ya know.

Pete: Gotcha. . . It is amazing how many people I tell that to can't seem to believe that California has good ol boys. . . ..

I've read WGU has a list of master's programs their students have successfully been admitted to. I wish they'd publicize that.

And as far as good ol' boys. . . well, we even have people you might perceive to be downright redneck. . . and that's in nicer areas of LA county even.
    --Will Rogers
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Wow, I totally missed this thread! Thanks for turning me onto WGU. I'll check it out. Need to pay the fee to see what my degree will transfer.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
    redline5th wrote: »
    Wow, I totally missed this thread! Thanks for turning me onto WGU. I'll check it out. Need to pay the fee to see what my degree will transfer.

Why don't you ask somebody to refer you? That way the fee is waived.
    Currently Studying:
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    redline5th wrote: »
    Here's a better way to find out what transfers (if the link works)
    http://kb.wgu.edu/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=3041r5ddxF0IetxgscnfYq4KF2b&cid=3&cat=&catURL=&r=0.3600275

Edit: Ok, it works sort of. go to records and transcipts > then go to Transfer credit Evaluations > then to your right choose Information Technology > this gives you a pdf of the transfer policy.

If you need someone to refer you I'd be happy to, send me a pm look a few posts back to the refer a friend link to see what info is needed. If someone else who hasn't refered anyone this year would like to that's even better.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Awesome! After finals next week I'll look into it and get you to refer me so I can have my transcript examined.

Thanks!
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • gpitts85gpitts85 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have seen alot of people on this site are attending WGU. I went to the site and saw where they give life experience credits. Has anyone got these credits from them and if so what is the process on how the gather the information to give you X amount of points? Also how are the courses that you take online?

[post merged with this ongoing thread by Webmaster]
    G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

Philippians 4:13:
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
    gpitts85 wrote: »
    I have seen alot of people on this site are attending WGU. I went to the site and saw where they give life experience credits. Has anyone got these credits from them and if so what is the process on how the gather the information to give you X amount of points? Also how are the courses that you take online?

I think the best thing you can do is call them.

Life experience points? WGU? I've not heard of that. If it were possible, you'd have to tie it to specific competencies, and I imagine there would be some writing to defend those positions.
    --Will Rogers
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□

I looked into that before attending. I was told those mostly applied towards Education (teachers) and health care.
    For your IT classes they go by your certs, and they must be current.
    Most of the IT classes, except your capstone project, involve studying for and taking the certification exam.
    The gen ed classes are a mix between doing a series of tasks (exercises, writing papers) and taking 1 test. These are referred to as performance and objective assessments, respectively.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have seen alot of people on this site are attending WGU. I went to the site and saw where they give life experience credits.

There are three ways I know of to get credit at WGU:
    1) Transfer equivalent courses from another college/university
    2) Current certifications (passed within 5 years)
    3) Pass the WGU class

I have 12 years professional IT experience, and when I started, I still had to take CIW Foundations and A+ since they were part of the curriculum, and I didn't have those certifications.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First I want to thank Veritas Libertas for the referral. I know you sent it to me almost a month ago and I never had the chance to thank you. Just so you know, I start on June 1st.

Now about my experience so far. I have an AS degree in Networking Services Technology from the local community college and my certifications on the left. I was told that if you have an AA or AS degree from an accredited school, then they will automatically waive all the lower level general classes (math, english, sciences, etc.) regardless if you've actually taken them or not. For instance, I never took any natural science classes during my program at the community college, but WGU still gave me credit in that area since I have an AS. I also never took statistics (only college algebra), but I still received full math credit from them. If you have an AAS then they will do a class by class evaluation to see what generals you may still need to take. I was very surprised by the amount of transfer credit I was given with just my few credentials. I've listed below what classes, besides the generals, that are already satisfied.

Core IT classes already satisfied by transferring credit:
    TEV1 IT Fundamentals II - Satisfied by MCSA
    TTV1 IT Fundamentals III - Satisfied by MCSA
    AKV1 Web Programming - Satisfied by AS Degree
    GTT1 Introduction to Programming - Satisfied by AS Degree
    GUT1 Object Oriented Design and Development - Satisfied by AS Degree
    ABV1 Operating Systems - Satisfied by MCTS 70-620
    TNV1 Networks I - Satisfied by MCSA
    TSV1 Security I - Satisfied by MCSA

Classes I will have to take:
    EWB2 Education Without Boundaries (2 credits)
    WFV1 IT Fundamentals I (3 credits)
    WDV1 Database I (6 credits)
    WSV1 E-commerce and the Internet (6 credits)
    TPV1 Project Management (6 credits)
    MGC1 Principles of Management (4 credits)
    ORC1 Fundamentals of Organizational Behavior and Leadership (4 credits)
    TWA1 Technical Writing (4 credits)
    PFI1 IT Portfolio (3 credits)
    CPW1 IT Capstone Project ( 9 credits)

So based on my transcript evaluation and the program guide I downloaded off their site, it seems I only have to take 10 classes (47 credits) to obtain my BS in IT. Not bad. I'm thinking I could probably finish this in a year. Maybe a year and a half at the most.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    First I want to thank Veritas Libertas for the referral. I know you sent it to me almost a month ago and I never had the chance to thank you. Just so you know, I start on June 1st.

No problem, be sure to hit me up on WGU Messenger after you start your classes! I have about three other TE members I chat with on a regular basis, and they have been a great help to me in transitioning into the WGU world.
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    hey;

i just did my application today for the M.S. Information Security and Assurance.

I was wondering if anyone is in this program, and how they like it?

Also is anyone from Canada, and using doing there student loans from here?

Thank you
    asurania wrote: »
    hey;

i just did my application today for the M.S. Information Security and Assurance.

I was wondering if anyone is in this program, and how they like it?

Also is anyone from Canada, and using doing there student loans from here?

Thank you

Msteinhilber is in the Master program.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am debating to continue my studies over at Devry or go to WGU. I like WGU program and I have my MCSE and many credits from three other colleges.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.