70-642 study materials

za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've passed 70-680 and my second exam is 70-642, I'm studying for it now I've already got MS Press book and it's good but I'm wondering if I should get other books.

I've got many resources that was mentioned here in the sticky post and its quiet useful bit I need to be sure I'm 100% ready.

70-680 was hard since it got many things to ask about but i heard that 70-642 is easier.

Thanks a lot for this great forum. it's really helpful :)

Comments

• kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get yourself the Sybex 70-642 book. You can really never go wrong with Sybex + MS Press books.

Amazon.com: MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-642 (9780470261699): William Panek, Tylor Wentworth, James Chellis: Books

I used the Security+ Sybex book and passed with that. I'm using MS Press for my 70-649, but if they had a Sybex version I'd probably have that too.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used Sybex books for most of the exams I've passed (including 642) and I agree that they're good. However I don't think you really need multiple books. Pick one book, study it thoroughly and do all the labs, and you should be fine on the exam.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I haven't used the Sybex books. I've been using the MS Press books for all my exams, and I think they've been fine.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kiki1579 wrote: »
    Get yourself the Sybex 70-642 book. You can really never go wrong with Sybex + MS Press books.

Amazon.com: MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-642 (9780470261699): William Panek, Tylor Wentworth, James Chellis: Books

I used the Security+ Sybex book and passed with that. I'm using MS Press for my 70-649, but if they had a Sybex version I'd probably have that too.

Thanks a lot for the tip, i will read the review about this book i've never read sybex books before to be honest.
    I used Sybex books for most of the exams I've passed (including 642) and I agree that they're good. However I don't think you really need multiple books. Pick one book, study it thoroughly and do all the labs, and you should be fine on the exam.

This is what i've done in 680 i used only one book. thanks for the advice.
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    I haven't used the Sybex books. I've been using the MS Press books for all my exams, and I think they've been fine.

The only problem i had with 680 book was that there were some errors and some of them were really obvious so is it known about 642 book that it has errors as well ?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll probably find some errors in every book you use. It's why you don't limit yourself to one resource.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    You'll probably find some errors in every book you use. It's why you don't limit yourself to one resource.

True, that's why I've ordered the Sybex book(which i've read it's a great recourse) , too bad it will take up to 2 weeks before it arrives. Thanks every one for the help.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I guess it may depend on the person. For me, one book plus labs was more than enough for each exam I did, and reading another book would have been overkill.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    People with a lot of experience can prob get by with one book and labbing. I have no AD exxperience so I used 2 books, Labsim, and labbing everything I can. As far as using more than 1 resource the other resources could just be checking the articles referenced in the MS book.
    It's mostly up to the person and their experience level and what kind of learner they are.
    I also recommend to get some practice test to help determine weak areas. I had to use examforce for WGU (don't recommend it) but I do recommend the measure up test included with the MS book and I'm also using ucertify practice test (a little overkill on the practice tests, I know) All the practice tests have been pretty consistent on what my weak points are so more than 1 is really a waste.
    I'm scheduling the 70-640 for 2 weeks from now and then I'll be getting ready for the 70-642. I'm just going to use the 1 book for the 70-642 as the MS press book is a lot better, so far, than the one for the 70-640 has been.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    The measure up test are really helpfull at least in 70-680 they were great and they've helped me to learn my weak points.