CEH Exam Feedback

down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
I just finished taking the EC0-350 exam and I had a similar experience to many of you. I felt the exam was broad in the topics that it covered but generally not that deep. Make sure you understand the tools found within the exam objectives, situations they could be used, and command line arguments.

The material I used was from the following:

CEH Prep Guide - Krutz
Hacking Exposed
WGU CBT Material

Link to the Objectives:
EC-Council | CEH Exam 312-50

Next up is the CWSP and CHFI... looks like I will continue to postpone the ISSAP and CCNP until I get a little break from school work.
CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the review. What kind of material, and support does WGU provide for the C|EH? I am wondering because I plan on taking the MS in Information Assurance after I complete my BS in IT. Also, I don't have a year of security experience like the C|EH requires, and wonder how WGU deals with that.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    After a bit of communication and discovery with both the vendor and the school I found that WGU has an agreement with EC Council for the MS:ISA students to take the CEH exam. As a Masters candidate you are expected to purchase many of the texts with your own money (which some could be from grant/loan/scholarship).

From the CoS they provide:
    ExamForce Certified Ethical Hacker
    Learnkey Hacking Revealed 2008 (6 Sessions)
    SkillSoft Library
    Books 24x7 eLearning material

The rest I purchased off of Amazon.
    How does the SANS course work? I would assume you would still have to go to a conference to take the test?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can challenge them for $900. Sharing materials can get your (and whoever owns the materials) certifications revoked. You can sometimes buy spare copies at conferences though.
    dynamik wrote: »
    You can challenge them for $900. Sharing materials can get your (and whoever owns the materials) certifications revoked. You can sometimes buy spare copies at conferences though.

@Dynamik: I assume you still have to go to the conferences to take the tests?
    Nope, there are testing centers all over. Actually, I believe they explicitly state that they do not give the exams during the conferences.

The one I went to was this rickety building that is used primarily for TSA exams at the Lafayette airport. I thought it was going to collapse when planes and trains went by. The men's restroom didn't have lights either. It had one exterior construction light clipped to the top of a stall. It was connected across the room via an extension cord, which clothes-lined you as you walked through the door into darkness. I'd say it was the worst exam center I've ever been too, but the receptionist was smoking hot.
    Nope, there are testing centers all over. Actually, I believe they explicitly state that they do not give the exams during the conferences.

The one I went to was this rickety building that is used primarily for TSA exams at the Lafayette airport. I thought it was going to collapse when planes and trains went by. The men's restroom didn't have lights either. It had one exterior construction light clipped to the top of a stall. It was connected across the room via an extension cord, which clothes-lined you as you walked through the door into darkness. I'd say it was the worst exam center I've ever been too, but the receptionist was smoking hot.

Well, I guess it wasn't all bad... :D

Another question if you don't mind, is the conference the only place you can get their study material at?
    Most importantly, congrats to the OP! Sorry for hijacking your thread ;)
    Another question if you don't mind, is the conference the only place you can get their study material at?

In terms of not paying $3500 for them? As far as I know.

You can also go the self-study route, and mentors may occasionally offer courses in your area. Those cost just as much as the regular course, but you save on travel/lodging costs.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Most importantly, congrats to the OP! Sorry for hijacking your thread ;)

Thats fine with me! I'm getting some good feedback on what to expect when I sit for the G7799 exam towards Nov/Dec of this year. I will be "challenging" the exam but without the assistance of the official SANS 411 material. We are expected to use the following materials:

-How to achieve 27001 certification: An example of applied compliance management. Auerbach Publications. ISBN: 9780849336485

-IT governance: A manager's guide to data security and ISO27001/ISO 27002. (4th ed.). Kogan Page. ISBN: 9780749452711

-Information security management handbook. (6th ed., Vol 2). Auerbach Publications. ISBN: 9781420067088

and the official ISC2 CISSP CBK.

I'm hopeful that my ITIL/CoBIT background and studies on the CISA will assist with this one but we shall see. In the meantime, I just ordered the updated PW0-204 CWSP course material (had the PW0-200) and starting to review the CHFI material.
    Cool, good luck with that!

You also get two official practice exams when you challenge an exam, so those will provide you with some additional guidance regarding what (if anything) you need to research some more.

The SANS courses are awesome from what I hear, but I simply can't afford them. I can challenge four exams for the price of a single course, and retakes are only $150. I just wish they had more detailed exam objectives. They're very high-level, which makes self-study difficult.