Is Cisco I.T. Essentials worth putting on a resume?

My teacher at school said that I am eligible for the Cisco IT Essentials exam, because I made a great score on the first half of the certification. All I have to do is go take the exam at school next week. Pass or fail, it won't cost me a thing, I just have to make a certain score on it.

Is it worth putting this on a resume? I just don't know what its value is. It looks just like the A+ certification, just Cisco's own version.

How valuable is this certification? I believe it's worth my time to take the exam if I can fit it in with finals AND my Security+.
WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I believe that is just a course and not a certification. It looks to be the very lowest level network academy course also. I wouldn't bother putting it on a resume.

IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software - Course Catalog - Cisco Systems
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    You do actually get a certificate in the mail upon completion.

I don't believe it holds much value. I believe it is just a simple coursework. I may just not study and take it anyway, just for the heck of it. It hurts me in no way shape or form.

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take the test. Get the certificate (which isn't a certification like the A+). And if you don't have anything better to fill up your resume -- put it on your resume. It might be enough to push you up in the queue for a (summer) job at Best Buy/Geek Squad.

When you pass, compare your course to the CompTIA A+ requirements and objectives. This course may have been preparation for an older version of the A+ exam(s) -- so it's worth checking out in case you're 60-70% on your way to the current A+ exam(s). If you can get those A+ exams done by the end of the year you'll have a "lifetime" certification -- so it could be worth the $200+ per exam to earn the A+ Certification.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Take the test. Get the certificate (which isn't a certification like the A+). And if you don't have anything better to fill up your resume -- put it on your resume. It might be enough to push you up in the queue for a (summer) job at Best Buy/Geek Squad.

When you pass, compare your course to the CompTIA A+ requirements and objectives. This course may have been preparation for an older version of the A+ exam(s) -- so it's worth checking out in case you're 60-70% on your way to the current A+ exam(s). If you can get those A+ exams done by the end of the year you'll have a "lifetime" certification -- so it could be worth the $200+ per exam to earn the A+ Certification.

Ditto, I'm an alum of Cisco's NetAcademy (IT Ess. I & II, and CCNA Curriculum). I don't consider the Certificate anywhere near an actual certification or "Cisco's version of A+", but rather more of a curriculum to help study for A+). I had originally listed it on my very first resume - before having an IT job. I also had alot of space to fill up then though.
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Well, I've already got the A+ and Network+ and I found the IT Essentials I exam very similar to the material on both of the CompTIA exams. Especially the information in regards to printers. I cannot speak for the IT Essentials II material, as I haven't been over it. I've heard that it is just a step further than the first half.

I'll take the exam for the heck of it and see what happens.