Options

Finally...

Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
What I mean is- after reading how to get my foot in the door of IT- I volunteered to teach a extremeley basic Introduction to computer class at the Community Center.....well the computers are a mess because the kids that go to the after school program, get on three of the computers and download so much stuff, one has a hi-jacked IE icon_confused.gif ....well I did a few virus scans on the three computers, (three others have Gnome 2.3 flavor), the three the kids play with are win 2000 pro (donated from an office somewhere)- one computer has 98. I was able to talk to the IT person in charge of the computers, and requested that Admin rights/restrictions be placed on the 2000 computers, so the kids can't download. Then come to find out whoever placed office on three of the computers did not activate it (XP flavor) and one computer is unusable (just the office part)-
So here is my plan: Number these computers (on the case) use the repair option for a few of the 2000 OS's (I made the four setup disks and one erd, actually create a two users (one for the kids- restricted and one for my class), and try to figure out which flavor of Linux is on the other three computers so I can keep an eye on thsoe and know how to get around the system a little better....and keep a notebook to document the changes that I made to the computers....I would LOVE to just fdisk the three bombed out computers but I only have the 120 day trail cd's for 2000....so for now I'll just get the virus scanners to work what they can-
The only thing the server that's in the room is used for is internet connection from the main house. But the IT guy was nice enough to tell me to do what I needed to do with the computers. :P ...
So now it's on to get CCNA)half-way through reading), MCP and FINALLY sec+!....
OH...I said all this to say...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....(I did dust off the Microsoft offical 2000 curriculum- to get started)
Someone asked me when will my studying be over......

Comments

• Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Well, it seems you are on the right track and aggressively taking the steps necessary to let the computers serve the kids, not the other way around. Volunteer work always looks good for any type of "whole person" type of review for any job or performance report. Kick butt and good luck! I'm sure doing some real world work with Windows and implementing security schemes will be excellent experience that can help you with your MCP and Sec+. icon_cool.gif
    Reloaded~4~Ever