college degrees in the I.T. field

chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
i was doing a job job search earlier and more than half of the jobs that i saw in I.T. does not require a degree. how many of you guys on here have a degree
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    I do not have a degree.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Can of worms opened here. I'm one of the no degree people.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • sdyesssdyess Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a Master's in Computer Information Systems from Keller Graduate School.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have two A.A.S' in progress.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I guess it depends on where you live and what your specialty is.

Good luck getting on an IA federal contract here in the DC area if you don't have at least your bachelor's.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    Just saw a job in the Lexington, KY area CCNA and MCSA 2k3 preferred. Also BS in computer related field. It is this sort of thing that sent me back after dropping out of college.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Almost every job posting I see requires at least a BS, and some say that they prefer a Master degree. I currently have an A.A.S. in Computer Network Technology, and I am working on completing my BS in IT. With the way the job market is going I will probably pursue a MS in INFOSEC after I finish my Bachelor degree, and why not since my employer will finance it?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Every job I've had "required" a degree. I think most of the time that is just something they put on there to scare people off. Hasn't stopped me from applying or getting any of the positions though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If it says it does not require one does not mean they will not ignore applicants who have them. What I mean is there are others who might appeal more because they have one and you need to get past that HR wall to get an interview in the first place
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No degree here
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have no degree. Heck I have never even taken a single college course but I work I.T. for the biggest University in the state. They said they wanted a B.S. degree and 8 years experience but that didn't stop me from being hired. On the other hand my certs didn't do much either. I guess I am just really good at interviews and know my stuff.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I have 1 class left next semester to finish my A.A.S.

I've been in the I.T. field for 10 years and only decided to start going for a degree last fall. I was able to transfer in all of my certifications for credits, most applied towards the 2 year degree while some applied toward the 4 year degree.

I'm really going to school more for my own fulfillment, but I also know that if I want to one day take over when my supervisor retires I will need a degree. That is if I don't find something better, though I'm not currently looking.
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    No degree here... just certs
  • ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently have a BS in management info systems, working on an MS in the same.
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
  • chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my bad is supposed to be progress i dont know how to edit a poll
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Almost every job posting I see requires at least a BS, and some say that they prefer a Master degree. I currently have an A.A.S. in Computer Network Technology, and I am working on completing my BS in IT. With the way the job market is going I will probably pursue a MS in INFOSEC after I finish my Bachelor degree, and why not since my employer will finance it?

+1 I have even seen a majority of help desk jobs that ask for at least an A.A.S degree, for a minimum job requirement.
    I’m pursuing my A.A.S degree, and someday I will obtain my 4 year degree. Having a degree is just more thing that can make you stand out from the other people that are competing for the same job as you.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No degree, just certs.

I'm probably going to get my AAS soon though.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't have a degree and it was not required when I was hired for a desktop position. I am now currently in a networking position that required either a BS or a CCNA. I chose the latter. I am now pursuing my Bachelors to open other oppportunities at my work.

I say if you want to stay the technical geek for the rest of your life, a Bachelors will only help in so many ways. Continue with certs to keep up to date on new technologies.

If you want a management/supervisor position in IT, then you will need a minimum of a Bachelors.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    No degree, I do alright. Hasn't been an issue (that I know of) yet.

I do wish I had one though, but it just doesn't seem worth the effort right now.
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    I guess it depends on where you live and what your specialty is.

Good luck getting on an IA federal contract here in the DC area if you don't have at least your bachelor's.

It depends. What good is a 4 year degree when you cannot set up a network for a company?
    I don't have a degree and I don't plan on getting on anytime soon. I can wipe the floor with many degree network engineers anytime any day. I live in the DC area and have been doing contracts for years without a degree. It all comes down to the interview. My voice experience is like a kryptonite down here.
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm in the progress of obtaining my A.A.S in Network Administration. This is the last week of school and then I have to wait and see for grades. I'm over half way to my B.S degree in Network Administration and less than half way for Network Security.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    nice343 wrote: »
    What good is a 4 year degree when you cannot set up a network for a company?

I agree. I don't understand why people are asking for 4 year degree's when a student can't do this. I had a teacher ask the who class what is needed for a network and over half of the class responded with the right answers. I was really surprised. Anyways I think it has something to do with not having enough reinforcement of the material and having to take 'filler' classes along with classes not useful to the subject such as calculus or accounting. If I wanted to take those classes then I would be an Accounting major or a Math major.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree. I don't understand why people are asking for 4 year degree's when a student can't do this. I had a teacher ask the who class what is needed for a network and over half of the class responded with the right answers. I was really surprised. Anyways I think it has something to do with not having enough reinforcement of the material and having to take 'filler' classes along with classes not useful to the subject such as calculus or accounting. If I wanted to take those classes then I would be an Accounting major or a Math major.

Accounting is helpful if you are going to be supporting accounting users... They can better explain a problem that you can understand.

Calc can help with all kinds of things.

Do a networking or MIS degree, not CS if you don't want those sort of classes. But they are helpful if you are going to do programming, imagine writing a piece of software for accounts payable and not knowing at all what they accountants are trying to use it for...

Those were bad examples! Say "humanities" and I'd have nodded and agreed. :)
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am close to finishing my BS and I am hoping it will open some doors for me. It is not easy, but in the long run it will be worth it.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I kick myself for not getting my BS a long time ago. I put myself 10 years behind my goals by next finishing my BS, a few shy of my AAS. This is the same thing I have told my kids, do it and don't look back.

What bad come come from appyling yourself and getting the knowledge and that piece of paper out of the way? When you get older, you will be glad you did instead of waiting. You could be in the "family, work, bills, money is tight......" category if you wait too long.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way, I had a discussion my boss last night, Rice grad and the VP of IT. Lots of years hiring/firing and has ran major IT deptarments for oil/gas and metro. He gave me the same advice I am stating here. Nowadays, just having a BS isn't going to give you an edge. Many people I work with and support are higly degreed and none of them have said thay they regretted it or putting the time in. These guys all said the same thing, with regards to degrees. It boils down to BS or Masters and what college you came from. Bragging rights or affiliation are just as important.

Some people may request it and not actually require it, always send in your resume, you never know. But then, if the hiring manager/HR possibly come from the same college as you, it may give you that much more of an edge.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have my degree.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chevy454 wrote: »
    i was doing a job job search earlier and more than half of the jobs that i saw in I.T. does not require a degree. how many of you guys on here have a degree

What you didn't ask is, is your degree in an it field. Most people do have degrees (required to get past hr) but it can be in booger picking if thats what your good at.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • bobnetbobnet Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Probably a lot of differences between the US and the UK but over here, at the moment a degree isn't worth the paper it's written on unless you have all the skills and experience companies want. I'm coming to the end of my degree now and have good grades, I have CCNA, a year experience in network support and I haven't had a single bit of interest for posts that are not graduate programs.

I do see jobs where 'degree is beneficial/required' is stated but they also want 3 years experience, CCNA, MCSA and sometimes a whole heap of other skills that would take years to acquire. I'm in a worse position than someone with no degree who's done desktop support for a year and got their CCNA, because due to me having no MS experience no one is interested in my CV. There's no entry level network engineer jobs, it's all a combination of network/systems engineer and jobs are asking for everything.

Right now is the worst time to be graduating and being a network guy. According to the job market I'm not even deemed fit for 1st line roles.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In progress, but only because of the GI Bill and because my wife works at the college and her union contract allows me to attend unlimited classes tuition free. If I didn't have both of those things in place, then my only option would be one class at a time at night while I work full time. I tried that once before, and just couldn't keep the motivation after a couple semesters.