3550 layer 3 switch

416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just bought a 3550 48 port layer 3 switch. At the moment I also have two 2950 switches and I think I'll stop here for now as I am preparing for my CCNP SWITCH studies.

For the people who have a 3550 switch already, which IOS version are you running and why? Currently I have IOS version 12.2(44)SE6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) (IP SERVICES WITH WEB BASED DEV MGR c3550-ipservicesk9-tar.122-44.SE6.tar) which I got from cisco.com

I'm just wondering which IOS version has the most complete set of features needed for the CCNP SWITCH.

Comments

• DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ip service feature set, mine are various but all 12.2(4x)

but I would say newest you have got, although I can't see it making any real difference
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I've got whatever the newest advip is.
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I've got whatever the newest advip is.

3550's only have "ip base" or "ip service" feature sets.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    3550's only have "ip base" or "ip service" feature sets.

I have this:

c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin

Better?
  • warquezhowarquezho Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi 416_guy/Devil/Colby/All
    Does downloading IOS from cisco website when I have a CCO account (got it when I earn my ccna) free?

I also want to download this image for my upcomming 3550 switch
    c3550-ipservicesk9-tar.122-44.SE6.tar

Thanks!
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    warquezho wrote: »
    Does downloading IOS from cisco website when I have a CCO account (got it when I earn my ccna) free?
    I highly doubt you will be able to go and download any image you want. I can't say what they allow but I think it is determined by a service contract. Thankfully, I work @ Cisco so I get to DL whatever I need without a contract.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    CiskHo wrote: »
    I highly doubt you will be able to go and download any image you want. I can't say what they allow but I think it is determined by a service contract. Thankfully, I work @ Cisco so I get to DL whatever I need without a contract.

I'm pretty sure you're correct. Before I added a smartnet contract to my account I couldn't download anything. I don't think it checks which hardware you currently have on the contact though. I know I've downloaded some IOS for hardware we don't have here at work to use in Dynamips.
    Nuul wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you're correct. Before I added a smartnet contract to my account I couldn't download anything. I don't think it checks which hardware you currently have on the contact though. I know I've downloaded some IOS for hardware we don't have here at work to use in Dynamips.

If you have a smartnet account you can only down load what you have support contrac to download.

However it does not stop you downloading anything else, but it does say that CISCO reserves the right to charge you for it!!!!

For LAb purposes and testing a different IOS they will not normaly notice or worry, however this is unofficial, they would be in there right to ask you to come up with the money for anything you down load and are not covered by, including for use in things like Dynamips.

So be carefull, In my experince CISCO will not worry about personal use, but if you keep downloading different IOS and lots of them, don't be suprised if cisco come knocking and asking what you are up to.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I have c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEC2.bin because that's what INE lists as the IOS version for their CCIE topology
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE4.bin appears to be the latest IOS according to CFN.
    So what is the required IOS image needed for the 3550 switch for the CCIE R&S lab?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    warquezho wrote: »
    So what is the required IOS image needed for the 3550 switch for the CCIE R&S lab?
    IP Services.
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CiskHo wrote: »
    Thankfully, I work @ Cisco so I get to DL whatever I need without a contract.

And what's their policy on taking company property home for personal use? icon_cool.gif
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
    tiersten wrote: »
    IP Services.

May I now what specific IP Services? theres a lot of them, or any IP Services would do?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    3550 Switches aren't used in the Lab anymore.... and the Cisco Web Site isn't that specific any more as to the specific IOS versions.

CCIE R&S Lab Equipment and IOS Version
    Version 4.0

• 1841 series routers - IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services
    • 3825 series routers - IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services
    • Catalyst 3560 Series switches running IOS version 12.2 - Advanced IP Services
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • lekailekai Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there guys!!

Do you know if previous IOS versions are ok for the CCNP?
    the 3550 Im about to buy come with the 12.1(22) IOS. And in Cisco´s memory requirements of both 12.1(22) and 12.1(44) are 64MB/16MB while theC3550-24-SMI i am about to purchase just have 64MB/8MB :/
    Do your 3550s have 16 or 8MB?

Thanks