Failed the Beast today :(

thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Failed with a 646. There were 9 freaking sims all at the start of the exam that threw me off my game right away. I was only able to confidently complete 2-3 of them.

Other than that, looks like my weakest areas are DNS and IPSec. Much to my surprise the Implementing, managing, and maintaining of IP addressing was my strongest area. Go figure. There was even a question that was asking about security rights for certain groups, something that really looked like it belonged in the 290 test.

Oh well. Be warned, doing labs and exercises is not overrated. Watching CBT nuggets over and over is not enough.

Comments

• impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am sorry about that, I failed security+ and I have to re-study everything for about three more month until I was very sure that I would pass, I was a good decision because I really learned the material.

So after you pass this exam your skill will be more better, you will really know the whole material
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since I failed it by such a narrow margin I'm hoping to reschedule within a week or two and just really hammer the exercises in the MS press books. I think if I do that the sims won't throw me off as much and I'll be able to pass. Fingers crossed...
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Are you able to use your 2nd shot voucher? Good luck on the next time around. I'm prepping for it to take in May.
    How do you obtain one?
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    thatguy85 wrote: »
    How do you obtain one?

If you are asking that question you missed the oppurtunity.
    go to this link

Microsoft Second Shot Campaign Voucher Form - MCP

But you have to input the voucher number when you schedule the exam.
    Once you do that you will be allowed a free retake on the exam if you fail.

If you did not obtain and enter a voucher prior to failing the exam, then sorry Charlie, you will have to pay full price for the retake.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Bruin711Bruin711 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote: »
    If you are asking that question you missed the oppurtunity.
    go to this link

Microsoft Second Shot Campaign Voucher Form - MCP

But you have to input the voucher number when you schedule the exam.
    Once you do that you will be allowed a free retake on the exam if you fail.

If you did not obtain and enter a voucher prior to failing the exam, then sorry Charlie, you will have to pay full price for the retake.

Is there a link like this for Pearson Vue or does Pearson Vue even do Second Shot?
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Bruin711 wrote: »
    Is there a link like this for Pearson Vue or does Pearson Vue even do Second Shot?

Prometric is the testing center for MS.
    You get the voucher from MS, and then enter it on the Prometric site when you schedule the exam.

There is even a banner ad for the promotion on the Prometric website that you use to schedule your exam.

Prometric: Microsoft Testing and Microsoft Certification: MCP
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dammit!!! I swear there was no voucher form on that website last time, I recently failed too and i thought i read they would just email automatically... ugh.... fail...
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."
  • Robertb216Robertb216 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you able to use your 2nd shot voucher? Good luck on the next time around. I'm prepping for it to take in May.
    Awesome! I had no idea they brought this back! I am taking the 70-291 in a few weeks. Ouch 9 Sims?
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    thatguy85 wrote: »
    Failed with a 646. There were 9 freaking sims all at the start of the exam that threw me off my game right away. I was only able to confidently complete 2-3 of them. . . .

Oh well. Be warned, doing labs and exercises is not overrated. Watching CBT nuggets over and over is not enough.

Yup. Build VMs, break them. As you're reading, ANY time you see some command line utility, try it on a VM.

I had a similar experience to the OPs on my first try with this exam. Came back about three weeks later and passed.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Don't feel bad. I think I failed it twice and nailed it the 3rd time through. Very tough test.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
    Robertb216 wrote: »
    Awesome! I had no idea they brought this back! I am taking the 70-291 in a few weeks. Ouch 9 Sims?

Yep. I was confused at first and thought that the exam messed up and gave me 40 questions of sims, lol...
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear you failed! Practice your weaker areas and lab up as much as you can! Good luck on your retake!! icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker