a little help

aequeousaequeous Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey does anybody know why i can't get into Microsoft website?
I wanted to find out what tests were still being offered

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    no idea??

Which browser are you using? I cannot many of their pages when I use Safari (go figure ;) ).

try accessing it via google if you cannot get there from their main url.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • aequeousaequeous Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the quick reply
    i use firefox and typed the url right in and i get a list of other sites
    this didn't happen when i used the library computer...hmmm
    can u still help
    i tried to go through google as well
    same thing
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    aequeous wrote: »
    thanks for the quick reply
    i use firefox and typed the url right in and i get a list of other sites
    this didn't happen when i used the library computer...hmmm
    can u still help
    i tried to go through google as well
    same thing

Do you have a firewall that is prohibiting you from accessing certain sites?

Long shot..malware maybe?

the MS site is up and running for what I have tested.

Have you tried to ping the ms site?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

hey thanks
    i just tried it and this is what i get:
    Your search - cache:2_x9Cig0X18J:Microsoft Learning: Go Further with Microsoft Certification Microsoft Learning: Go Further with Microsoft Certification - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
    • Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    • Try different keywords.
    • Try more general keywords.
    • Try fewer keywords.

I don't know. For some reason I can't get anywhere near Microsoft. I'm using Firefox as my browser. Have anything to do with my isp?
    Did you try with IE?

Or try Opera (I hate F1r3f0x myself) but there are other browsers.

Do you have any other devices you can get online with and connect?

If you try another browser, do not 'import' settings, just set it up.

Were you able to Ping? How about Tracert? What do those bring up for you?
    Plantwiz
    _____

kind of new
    opera didn't work
    pinged myself, how do you ping ms? thanks
    maybe I'm not that new
    just pinged google. it worked
    pinged microsoft. got this: ping request could not find host microsoft.com. please check the name and try again.

I don't have any other devices to get on line with. thanks.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    not surprising you can't ping microsoft.com but you should still be able to resolve the name and at least get a request timed out. what do you get if you do a nslookup from the command prompt? just go to the command prompt and type nslookup www.m icrosoft.com

what happens if you type the ip address in the address bar of your browser? try typing 207.46.232.182 in the browser address bar or try 65.55.21.250

if you boot into safemode with networking can you then browse to the micorsoft sites?

My first guess is malware. Are your anti-virus definitions up to date? Have you run a scan lately? I would think about running CCleaner and any combination of or all of Panda Active scan, malwarebytes, Super antispyware.
    When did you first notice this, was it after you installed "security essentials"?

Have you uninstalled SE yet? If not, do so. Reboot. Then attempt to connect.

Do you have a UBCD or Linux disk/drive you can boot from to rule out hardware? As mentioned above...try Safe mode with networking...then try the linux method.

Otherwise:
    Spybot
    housecall
    Malwarebytes
    etc..
    Plantwiz
    _____

haven't tried nslookup yet
    safe mode allows me to lookup microsoft
    w/o safe mode could not even log into comono, panda, etc (incl. microsoft)
    currently scanning with Panda. found 16 infected files and 100 vulnerabilities detected
    thanks for help. i'll post an update
    scan revealed some infections so I restarted windows in safe mode and then installed security essentials since i was able to get on the web site now. however security essentials could not update. responded with 0x8007043c. regardless, was able to remove one worm. downloaded sp3. everything works with sp3. thanks.

I'm adding this later. I misread the earlier note. I installed instead of uninstalling SE. oops