Subnetting...

3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
Im booked in for the Net+ exam for the 11 May using the 2003 objective, but everything else is coming into place apart from subnetting! im getting abit confused on some parts...i work best with diagram and pics explaining how its works ect, ive worked out how many host, subnets per class but some of the stuff im reading in Mike Myers Net+ book its getting me abit confused!

Is there alot of question in the Net+ about working out IP address`s?

Comments

• cybervexcybervex Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I may have had 1 question on subnetting. This was the easiest test I have taken.
    The sky is not the limit; The ground is!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You only need to know what a subnet is, and why you would use them. You can fully understand subnetting here. I had 0 questions on my exam about subnetting, I think. Either way, the exam I thought was pretty easy, and if you read the $6.95 Technotes from this site, you'll be good to go. I wouldn't expect a lot about subnetting on the exam anyway, but it's always good to be prepared.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    Would you say subnetting ir more on the CCNA side? as that is a course im toying with at the moment, its either, use A+,Net+ and got for the MCSA route or go CCNA and more networking side?
    Well, if you don't understand subnetting, you will never pass CCNA. As far which track, it depends on what is more interesting to you, as MCSA/E is more focused on Server and Domain admin, while CCNA is Networking. You may have a better chance of getting a job with MCSA, only because Cisco stuff, while not always, isn't the first job most people would have in IT.
  • netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    I had 0 questions on subnetting, just need to know what a subnet is and why it is used, leave the subnetting until you do either CCNA or 70-216, I think on the MCSE track, but it does'nt hurt if you can actualy subnet, as it looks good on a CV etc. icon_cool.gif
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    So there's no reason to know HOW to subnet? Only KNOW what a subnet is? icon_eek.gif
    A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever
    bigo1120 wrote:
    So there's no reason to know HOW to subnet? Only KNOW what a subnet is? icon_eek.gif
    For Net+, subnetting is not stressed heavily. If you were to venture into Cisco, subnetting would be a must know.
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    I was thinkin the same, i like know what its for, but im intreeged to how it works and managed the network :D
  • mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea. CCNA hits a lot on subnetting and diagrams which involve subnetting. My friend said that the Network+ has almost nothing to do with subnetting.
    Why is SuSE better than Redhat?

Its alllll in the startup scripts. All in the startup scripts. >.<

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    There were several subnetting questions on my Network+ beta exam. In fact, many of those questions involved IPv6.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    bigo1120 wrote:
    Yes, subnetting (as in calculating subnets, nr of hosts, etc) is not a topic for the Network+ exam.