Options

Is there any hope for people like me?

smellyguy_philipsmellyguy_philip Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I was hoping if you guys could give me any advice to my career or whatsover. I think my situation would be worse that many people out there. It seems impossible for me to get a job at all! Here is my background, and my plans before trying enter IT.

I am 23 and I am a VISA student in Canada. I already have a degree in Computer Science and currently doing my Masters degree in Management Science, graduating in December.

My plan is to try my best to get as many certs and experience before I graduate. So far, I plan to at least get A+ and Net+ before I graduate. The big problem is I am not a Canadian citizen so basically I cannot do any work that involves some kind of salary. So basically I cannot apply for any part-time job to get experience.

I guess this leaves me with volunteering. I am tried for several months and did not have luck. I tried in many charity organizations and most of them tell me they have enough people! I recently interviewed about a Client Support position, hoping I would at least get some experience in the field. And after I did the police check, they told me the position was taken! They asked me if I would like to deliver food!

I even looked around in my schools' department, and I met a guy at RIM(research in motion). I expressed my passion in volunteering, but all of the time, I either got turned down or i got no response. At some time, people seem to prefer to employ a paid person rather than a volunteer.

I really want to stay in Canada. But the big problem is after I graduate I only have 90 days to look for a job. I would be kicked out of Canada after that! It seems to me that it is quite impossible for VISA students like me to get a job ina foreign country. I really hope to stay here. But I know many friends of mine who graduated last and still don't have any job now, and they are going to be kicked out of Canada soon!

Guys, is there anything I am doing wrong? It would be great to hear advice from anyone.

Thank you very much, sorry this post is long :)

Philip Chau

Comments

• Options
    DarklyWiseDarklyWise Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hm... that's a difficult situation you're in...

Here are a couple of things I would do:
    First - go to a Professional Resume service and spend $100 and have them make you a top-notch resume ( yes, those services are worth the money );

Secondly - I would get in touch with a Recruiting firm - give them your resume and let them do the searching for you - that's how they make their money...

I'm not sure how related CS & Mgmt Science are related - one is well.. CS and the other is for business decisions ( correct me if I'm wrong ) - you have to decide what you want to do with your Career...

Hope I was ofa little help :)
    A being Darkly Wise and Rudely Great
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply and the good advice
    I really appreaciate it :)

I mean, yeh you're right, I see many people here in the forum talking about their situation. I guess mine has to be one of the worse :) But well, life is tough right? But I enjoy the challenge, so I am always motivate. I am never depressed or anything!

Anyways, I think you are right. My plan is also to go for those recruitement agencies if I really can't get a job by job looking around my self. But I asked once, and it scared my. They do not guarrantee. And if they don't get you a job you pay $300 and if they get you a job you pay $3000. Sounds a LOT to me. I am just a student.

And regarding the management science masters degree, it is actually a pretty technical degree. It's not like it's business, as it is under the engineering faculty. It just focuses more on problem solving and case studies. Like right now, I am taking courses like database, networking and doing project on HTML, SQL, PHP, etc.

IT is definitely my passion since I was a kind, so I would aim for that for sure!

Also, are those resume writing companies really good. I have bought many books on IT resume, interview, etc and I find those really useful too.

Anyways, thanks again and I hope to hear more from you guys.
    I really appreciate it :)

Philip
  • Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyways, I think you are right. My plan is also to go for those recruitement agencies if I really can't get a job by job looking around my self. But I asked once, and it scared my. They do not guarrantee. And if they don't get you a job you pay $300 and if they get you a job you pay $3000. Sounds a LOT to me. I am just a student.

Most recruiting agencies (at least the reputable ones) don't charge you to find you a job. They get their money from the employer. I would stay away from any agency that wants money like you are talking.

Your options are pretty limited, and with the changes in the US H1-B policies that are soon to be implemented, even a job in the states won't help you get a green card here.

If you haven't see, the new regs don't allow you to get a green card unless you have a couple of years experience, and your first job out of college doesn't count any longer.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    Hi,

Wow, that's pretty bad.
    Huh.... I guess the probability that I could get a job is close to Zero icon_sad.gif

Philip
  • Options
    mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Four words :

Move to the US.
    Why is SuSE better than Redhat?

Its alllll in the startup scripts. All in the startup scripts. >.<

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.
  • Options
    Hi,
    with the changes in the US H1-B policies that are soon to be implemented, even a job in the states won't help you get a green card here.

If you haven't see, the new regs don't allow you to get a green card unless you have a couple of years experience, and your first job out of college doesn't count any longer.

I thought it's even harder, according to Cherper.

Philip
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Can you pass for Mexican? Come down to California, wrap yourself in the flag of the ACLU, and you'll live a good life as a native friend of President Bush.

(Sorry, that was very cynical of me. icon_rolleyes.gif)

The USA is severely limiting H1-B visas. There were 65,000 visas offered in 2004, and they all went in less than three days. They are supposedly increasing the number of available H1-B visas by 20K, but that is only for foreigners who already have an advanced degree from a US university. Also, the cost of the H1-B visa is being raised by $2000, supposedly to make them prohibitive for many people to obtain.

Currently, the USA has much more lax emigration policies that most other countries where hi-tech work is available (e.g. India, Germany, Australia, etc.). I say hide in the wheel well of a Winnebago, come down from the Great White North to the Land of Bush, and try your luck here. The food (delivery) is a lot better in The States too.
    icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for the advice.
    I udnerstand that the US might have more opportunities.
    But is it really a LOT better?

I know moving here and there will spend money and stuff.
    I am really afraid that moving to another place will spend a lot of money and trouble, and not giving a good result.

It also seems that the standard of living is a lot higher down in the states.

I know it is another option, but I am not totally comfortable with moving to the states.

I know some people who are international students like me who are also in the states, some in LA, some in Washington, some in Texas and they all have no luck in getting jobs. They have been looking for several months already and will have to leave the country soon!

Philip
  • Options
    They have been looking for several months already and will have to leave the country soon!
    Why leave? Many foreign people overstay their visa for years in the USA and there is no process for finding them. They only get deported if they get thrown in jail, and then only if their home country will take them back (Mexico won't). Otherwise you can have a great life in the USA as an illegal alien. And don't bother applying for citizenship. Just marry a citizen (natural or naturalized) and save yourself the time, money, and paperwork of doing it the proper way.

I am totally serious about this. The USA's emigration and naturalization policies and procedures are so lax and screwed up that you might as well cross over to here from the Mexican border and you will be instantly protected from deportation. And you don't even need to be a Mexican citizen! If anyone approaches you in the Arizona desert, just keep yelling "Bush! Amnesty! Guest Worker Program! No Social Security Number Required!" The ACLU will appear by your side and you will be saved!

Once again, I am totally serious. Check into exploiting these loopholes while they still exist. Things may get clamped down in 2008.
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    icon_lol.gif
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    wow,

jdmurray, I know you're series.
    but umm...
  • Options
    I know, I know. I shouldn't advise or advocate the breaking of any law to anyone for any reason. But I am very upset about the open borders everywhere and amnesty for everyone policies of the Bush administration.

The truth is that you are probably a nice guy and a hardworking person, and I would have no complaints working with you regardless of your county of origin. Many of the people coming over our borders are doing so for purely illegal purposes (kidnapping, drug running, money laundering, import/export customs violations, etc.) and our policies protect them just the same as they would an honest, hardworking person. The concept of "blind justice for all" is being abused for the sake of political gain between the gov'ments of the USA and Mexico (a.k.a. Bush and Fox).

Well, I've certainly turned this thread into a political rant, haven't I? icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JD I have to say buddy, I feel exactly the way you do about this, everytime I hear something about it in the news or read something about it (which is everyday since I'm so pissed about the whole situation), I get sick at the stomach.