Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Math is just a matter of practicing and learning a few rules and how to manipulate them. I wish some of the things I'm studying now were as easy for me to understand as math.
    Getting ready for my 70-640 and group policy seems to be my main weak point right now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Math is just a matter of practicing and learning a few rules and how to manipulate them. I wish some of the things I'm studying now were as easy for me to understand as math.
    Getting ready for my 70-640 and group policy seems to be my main weak point right now.

The 'ease' of things is a matter of perceptive. I'd much rather learn more about group policy.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    Doing extra reading and stuying on it. Doing every practice exercise in the MS Press book and the Sybex book along with doing the simulations in my Labsim/testout cbt. Starting to understand better how ,and why,to manipulate it.
    The point is that learning "new" things requires study and practice. If I had experience with server 2008 before taking this course it would be easy for me.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    earweed wrote: »

Math is, logically, the easiest thing there is. Because you dont have to go into the test knowing the answers, because everything you need to get it is on the test itself.

What makes it hard for me is that I find zero interest in it whatsoever, so it makes it hard to *click* on my level of thinking.

When i install a piece of software with a GPO (or whatever) I see a result, and therefore it means something to me.

When I simply Log4^12 + Log5^16 it leaves me going "Why the hell did i do that, ill never use it"
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Math is, logically, the easiest thing there is. Because you dont have to go into the test knowing the answers, because everything you need to get it is on the test itself.

What makes it hard for me is that I find zero interest in it whatsoever, so it makes it hard to *click* on my level of thinking.

When i install a piece of software with a GPO (or whatever) I see a result, and therefore it means something to me.

When I simply Log4^12 + Log5^16 it leaves me going "Why the hell did i do that, ill never use it"

+1 I Agree totally! This is me!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm excited! Most of my paperwork is in and I have a May 1st start date. My enrollment counselor told me that the EWB class should only take a few days if you're good at computers. Just need to get financial aid squared away and them to get my transcript.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I'm excited! Most of my paperwork is in and I have a May 1st start date. My enrollment counselor told me that the EWB class should only take a few days if you're good at computers. Just need to get financial aid squared away and them to get my transcript.
    EWB took a few hours...lol...

Congrats on starting!!! From my pov, the school is awesome. I'm loving it.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I wish WGU would fix their form letters. It looks really unprofessional (almost spam-ish) to get E-mail from one person when another is listed as the sender.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • SCIONTXSCIONTX Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree. It looks quite tacky.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Just to the CIW Foundations pre assessment. smh.

53% (16/30). I split every topic down the middle. Welp, I guess I have to get to studying these encyclopedias. icon_sad.gif
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    It was my first cert as well and I had to read them all. It's a very broad subject. It's a mile wide and an inch deep, but you'll learn a few things.
    I probably spent more time studying for foundations than I did for the A+, but I already had experience working with computers.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm off to a great start. This month I was able to complete EWB, LAE1, WFV1, and LAC1. I am hoping to continue at this pace so I can finish my degree in a year and a half.
  • LisaKayKingLisaKayKing Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am Lisa King. I am currently at the end of my 2nd year with WGU. I am working on a Bachelor Degree in IT with Major in Network Design and Management. I am also a 47 year old mom, with a full time job at a security company as IT Professional and wow, so little time to study but staying on course.
  • wayers22wayers22 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am Lisa King. I am currently at the end of my 2nd year with WGU. I am working on a Bachelor Degree in IT with Major in Network Design and Management. I am also a 47 year old mom, with a full time job at a security company as IT Professional and wow, so little time to study but staying on course.

I am 27 years old and work a full time job. I have been married for just over a year now. I plan on starting within the next two months - after I finish up Security+ and Project+.

I was worried about the work load. It helps to see others with a full plate of work handle things. I dont have any kids yet, but I could only imagine how tough it would be.
    WGU's scheduling methods frustrate me to no end. That and the fact that my usual testing center (a college) shuts down for a month at a time a couple times a year.
    51 activities? Man, EWB is a bigger deal than I thought. :D
    --Will Rogers
    WGU's scheduling methods frustrate me to no end. That and the fact that my usual testing center (a college) shuts down for a month at a time a couple times a year.

Have you checked out the webassessor proctoring method? This will allow you to use a webcam and take all objective exams (minus the IT certifications) at home. If you sign up for this, you can schedule objective exams two or 3 days in advance instead of having to wait two weeks and go the prometric testing center (or college) every singe time.
    Have you checked out the webassessor proctoring method? This will allow you to use a webcam and take all objective exams (minus the IT certifications) at home. If you sign up for this, you can schedule objective exams two or 3 days in advance instead of having to wait two weeks and go the prometric testing center (or college) every singe time.

I thought this was only done in rare circumstances. (no testing centers in the area, disabled people, pregnant women, etc)

I've also heard bad things about it. Apparently if you move ever so slightly they shut the test down because they think you are cheating. They also shut the test down if there is any background noise whatsoever.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had the same issue when I first started the enrollment process in dec of 08. My counseler went on vacation for the week between xmas and new years. I planned to start on Jan 1st. After several phonecalls somebody else completed my enrollment. Frustrating yes but 14 months later my degree is done. It
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    I thought this was only done in rare circumstances. (no testing centers in the area, disabled people, pregnant women, etc)

I've also heard bad things about it. Apparently if you move ever so slightly they shut the test down because they think you are cheating. They also shut the test down if there is any background noise whatsoever.

I've only used it once and it wasn't that bad. Even if they have to stop it so they can get a better view, your still at home.....
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just passed CLC1 (Reasoning and Problem Solving). A little more difficult than I suspected it would be.

66.67% of the semester completed!
    Did it tell you what score you got on the CLC1? Much harder than the pre assessment?
    Did it tell you what score you got on the CLC1? Much harder than the pre assessment?

Not much harder, be sure to go through the basic questions and answers provided in Skill Soft.

No it doesn't give your score, though I wish it would.

On a side note, I thought about what you said about just doing the MCITP:EA, and I think your right. I'm going to just do the MCITP:EA even if it costs me an extra semester.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can get your score for CLC1 on your AAP. Click on the "Pass" link and expand "Show Coaching Report." You'll get your overall score there, and there's a link that gives you a breakdown by question type.

Personally, I thought that one was 80-90% common sense and the rest was a bit of terminology. The online modules are plenty to get you through it.

I'm off to take the MGC1 (Management) assessment tonight. I haven't studied at all, but I scored 80% on the preassessment thanks to my 10 years in corporate America.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    Y'all:

How long did it take you to get cleared for your EWB assessments? Granted, I've only been waiting a day or so now, but I'm anxious to get moving.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote: »
    Y'all:

How long did it take you to get cleared for your EWB assessments? Granted, I've only been waiting a day or so now, but I'm anxious to get moving.

Have you had your phone call with your mentor yet? Your mentor is your advocate so contact him or her.
    Have you had your phone call with your mentor yet? Your mentor is your advocate so contact him or her.

Done the initial phone call. I'll give it until Friday morning to schedule, then I'll call my mentor if I still don't see the assessments posted.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote: »
    Done the initial phone call. I'll give it until Friday morning to schedule, then I'll call my mentor if I still don't see the assessments posted.

I would do it today, no point on slowing down your progress. The EWB only takes two days at the most to complete. Then you can start working on your other classes.
    Well I passed LAE1 today and I only have ABV1 (Windows 7) to finish for this semester.
    icon_cheers.gif
    Well I passed LAE1 today and I only have ABV1 (Windows 7) to finish for this semester.
    icon_cheers.gif
    Congrats! Are you gonna add another class?