Newbie Questions

jgsmith06jgsmith06 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I took a break from studying and found this site. I must say this looks like it will be an excellent resource and reading your previous comments have proved entertaining ( :P) and helpful!

My studying consists of (aka resources used) :

Cisco Products:
Cisco certification ICND 1 and 2
Cisco Simulation Software

Testout:
Testout CCNA

I have a few questions.

What other resources would you recommend?
How is grading executed on the CCNA certification exam.
What points should i focus on?
Jobs! The best places to apply for a new certification recipient.
Upon completion of CCNA what certifications would you recommend to acquire next?
Can you test out of College CCNA?

Thanks for your help in advance..
And gl to those studying congrats to those who have accomplished CCNA

Cheers,
jason

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE Forums. This is an excellent place to ask questions and get answers! Hope you stick around...
    jgsmith06 wrote: »
    What other resources would you recommend?

Lab equipment. If you have no hands on experience, I would recommend you get a lab and begin working on commands at your home after you read about them.
    What points should i focus on?

640-802 CCNA® Exam Topics (Blueprint)
    Exam Description

The 640-802 CCNA is the composite exam associated with the Cisco Certified Network Associate certification. Candidates can prepare for this exam by taking the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1) v1.0 and the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 (ICND2) v1.0 courses. This exam tests a candidate's knowledge and skills required to install, operate, and troubleshoot a small to medium size enterprise branch network. The topics include connecting to a WAN; implementing network security; network types; network media; routing and switching fundamentals; the TCP/IP and OSI models; IP addressing; WAN technologies; operating and configuring IOS devices; extending switched networks with VLANs; determining IP routes; managing IP traffic with access lists; establishing point-to-point connections; and establishing Frame Relay connections.

Exam Topics
    The following topics are general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the Cisco Certified Network Associate exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. In order to better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes, the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.

Describe how a network works
    Describe the purpose and functions of various network devices
    Select the components required to meet a network specification
    Use the OSI and TCP/IP models and their associated protocols to explain how data flows in a network
    Describe common networked applications including web applications
    Describe the purpose and basic operation of the protocols in the OSI and TCP models
    Describe the impact of applications (Voice Over IP and Video Over IP) on a network
    Interpret network diagrams
    Determine the path between two hosts across a network
    Describe the components required for network and Internet communications
    Identify and correct common network problems at layers 1, 2, 3 and 7 using a layered model approach
    Differentiate between LAN/WAN operation and features

Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications
    Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect switches to other network devices and hosts
    Explain the technology and media access control method for Ethernet networks
    Explain network segmentation and basic traffic management concepts
    Explain basic switching concepts and the operation of Cisco switches
    Perform and verify initial switch configuration tasks including remote access management
    Verify network status and switch operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute, telnet, SSH, arp, ipconfig), SHOW & DEBUG commands
    Identify, prescribe, and resolve common switched network media issues, configuration issues, auto negotiation, and switch hardware failures
    Describe enhanced switching technologies (including: VTP, RSTP, VLAN, PVSTP, 802.1q)
    Describe how VLANs create logically separate networks and the need for routing between them
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VLANs
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot trunking on Cisco switches
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot interVLAN routing
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VTP
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RSTP operation
    Interpret the output of various show and debug commands to verify the operational status of a Cisco switched network.
    Implement basic switch security (including: port security, trunk access, management vlan other than vlan1, etc.)

Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    Describe the operation and benefits of using private and public IP addressing
    Explain the operation and benefits of using DHCP and DNS
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Implement static and dynamic addressing services for hosts in a LAN environment
    Calculate and apply an addressing scheme including VLSM IP addressing design to a network
    Determine the appropriate classless addressing scheme using VLSM and summarization to satisfy addressing requirements in a LAN/WAN environment
    Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 in conjunction with IPv4 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc).
    Describe IPv6 addresses
    Identify and correct common problems associated with IP addressing and host configurations

Configure, verify, and troubleshoot basic router operation and routing on Cisco devices
    Describe basic routing concepts (including: packet forwarding, router lookup process)
    Describe the operation of Cisco routers (including: router bootup process, POST, router components)
    Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect routers to other network devices and hosts
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RIPv2
    Access and utilize the router to set basic parameters.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Connect, configure, and verify operation status of a device interface
    Verify device configuration and network connectivity using ping, traceroute, telnet, SSH or other utilities
    Perform and verify routing configuration tasks for a static or default route given specific routing requirements
    Manage IOS configuration files. (including: save, edit, upgrade, restore)
    Manage Cisco IOS
    Compare and contrast methods of routing and routing protocols
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot OSPF
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot EIGRP
    Verify network connectivity (including: using ping, traceroute, and telnet or SSH)
    Troubleshoot routing issues
    Verify router hardware and software operation using SHOW & DEBUG commands.
    Implement basic router security

Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN
    Describe standards associated with wireless media (including: IEEE WI-FI Alliance, ITU/FCC)
    Identify and describe the purpose of the components in a small wireless network. (Including: SSID, BSS, ESS)
    Identify the basic parameters to configure on a wireless network to ensure that devices connect to the correct access point
    Compare and contrast wireless security features and capabilities of WPA security (including: open, WEP, WPA-1/2)
    Identify common issues with implementing wireless networks. (Including: Interface, missconfiguration)

Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats
    Describe today's increasing network security threats and explain the need to implement a comprehensive security policy to mitigate the threats
    Explain general methods to mitigate common security threats to network devices, hosts, and applications
    Describe the functions of common security appliances and applications
    Describe security recommended practices including initial steps to secure network devices

Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    Describe the purpose and types of ACLs
    Configure and apply ACLs based on network filtering requirements.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Configure and apply an ACLs to limit telnet and SSH access to the router using (including: SDM/CLI)
    Verify and monitor ACLs in a network environment
    Troubleshoot ACL issues
    Explain the basic operation of NAT
    Configure NAT for given network requirements using (including: CLI/SDM)
    Troubleshoot NAT issues

Implement and verify WAN links
    Describe different methods for connecting to a WAN
    Configure and verify a basic WAN serial connection
    Configure and verify Frame Relay on Cisco routers
    Troubleshoot WAN implementation issues
    Describe VPN technology (including: importance, benefits, role, impact, components)
    Configure and verify a PPP connection between Cisco routers
    Upon completion of CCNA what certifications would you recommend to acquire next?

Depends on your interest. If you like networking, you can pursue the CCNP, or you can acquire the CCNA: Voice, or the CCNA: Security. Your certification path is strictly based on your interests and the particular job in which you may want to apply for.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • MeastMeast Banned Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide
    (Exam 640-802)
    by Todd Lammle

I'm reading this book presently and its awesome!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Meast wrote: »
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide
    (Exam 640-802)
    by Todd Lammle

I'm reading this book presently and its awesome!

It's a great book; I read it once, did lab work and sat the test. I've totally got subnetting sussed now too because of it.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I am just wondering, if you pass the CCNA: Voice or CCNA: Security, does it renew your CCNA?
    Also, let say you have your CCNA and CCNA: Voice or Security(either one), if you pass CCNA: Voice or Security(either one), does it renew your CCNA and CCNA: Voice or Security(either one)?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
    thehourman wrote: »
    I am just wondering, if you pass the CCNA: Voice or CCNA: Security, does it renew your CCNA?
    Also, let say you have your CCNA and CCNA: Voice or Security(either one), if you pass CCNA: Voice or Security(either one), does it renew your CCNA and CCNA: Voice or Security(either one)?

Yes, an additional pro level cert renews the previous associate level certs for an additional 3 years. So the CCNA Voice or Security would renew your CCNA for an additional 3 years. Also, the CCNA Voice would renew the CCNA Security and the CCNA for an additional 3 years and vice versa.

Keep in mind also that a Pro Level cert such as the BCMSN would renew your Associate level certs as well. I hope this helps.

-Mayor Cory Booker
    How many exam does CCNA: Voice and Security have?
    Because I am planning to take Voice after my CCNA.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    How many exam does CCNA: Voice and Security have?
    Because I am planning to take Voice after my CCNA.

The CCNA Voice and the CCNA Security are 1 exam each.

-Mayor Cory Booker
    That is nice, and it will renew the previous CCNA as well.
    I bet the exam is very hard.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I bet the exam is very hard.

Most people have stated that the CCNA Security is easier than the CCNA... I'll be sitting the CCNA Security this Thursday and can make my own determination after that!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    thebryantadvantage.com
    Would you let me know the outcome?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • MeastMeast Banned Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    It's a great book; I read it once, did lab work and sat the test. I've totally got subnetting sussed now too because of it.

I'm reading that chapter now!
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Most people have stated that the CCNA Security is easier than the CCNA... I'll be sitting the CCNA Security this Thursday and can make my own determination after that!

Good luck.

I've been studying this for awhile as well. I was planning on scheduling for this coming week but it might be safer to wait another week. I need a little more hands on with my SDM which I finally got working after battling Java and IE...ARGH!!!!
    Good luck.

I've been studying this for awhile as well. I was planning on scheduling for this coming week but it might be safer to wait another week. I need a little more hands on with my SDM which I finally got working after battling Java and IE...ARGH!!!!

Yeah... the java and IE thing is a b**** I once had java 1.4.2_19 I think and it appeared to have worked fine... But every time I attempted to save, it would tell me I lost connection. I then tried logging into SDM with just http (instead of https) and it would be hit or miss whether it would apply my commands! Very very very frustrating is that SDM!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • ely_jo0o0onely_jo0o0on Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guyz, I have ccna exam after few days.I know my question may sound silly, but Im just wondering whether we can bring pen and paper for ccna exam or not? :) I need them for subnetting!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Hi guyz, I have ccna exam after few days.I know my question may sound silly, but Im just wondering whether we can bring pen and paper for ccna exam or not? :) I need them for subnetting!

your test center will provide some form of writing surface and some form of method for marking said writing surface