Options

IP ADDRESSING IPV4, IPV6 AND SUBNET MASKS

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
icon_eek.gif

Team,
Today I was reading my Exam Cram 2 book when I had a question.

In IPV4 you have IP address grouped into classes A,B,C,D,E and a Subnet mask which defines which part of the ip adress refer to the network adress and which refer to the node address. The IPV4 address is broken into 4 sets of 8 bits to eaquel somehing like this 127.0.0.1
127.0 being the network and 0.1 being the node address on a class C network.
Now my question is this....on a IPV6 network what is the subnet mask going to look like ? I have yet to encounter a IPV6 IP address.
I see what the IPV6 ip address looks like but what about the subnet mask.

Will is look similer to 255.255.255.0 ?
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    icon_eek.gif

Team,
    Today I was reading my Exam Cram 2 book when I had a question.

In IPV4 you have IP address grouped into classes A,B,C,D,E and a Subnet mask which defines which part of the ip adress refer to the network adress and which refer to the node address. The IPV4 address is broken into 4 sets of 8 bits to eaquel somehing like this 127.0.0.1
    127.0 being the network and 0.1 being the node address on a class C network.
    Now my question is this....on a IPV6 network what is the subnet mask going to look like ? I have yet to encounter a IPV6 IP address.
    I see what the IPV6 ip address looks like but what about the subnet mask.

Will is look similer to 255.255.255.0 ?

The following link should help answer your questions:

http://www.raiden.net/techhelp/intro-ipv6.htm
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Form what I am reading of the article we won't really need to know how to subnet anymore. When subnetting under IPv6, the average person will not need to be concerned with the TLA or the NLA sections of the IP address. Those are taken care of by the Internet Backbone Provider (ie MCI, Uunet, AT&T, Sprint, etc) and your ISP respectively.

This is both interesting and confuseing at the same time....thanks for the link.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino