CCNA Path

Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
Hi room.
I'm thinking about starting my CCNA.
I've heard that there are two different paths for CCNA????.....I don't know if this is still accurate information.

I heard that there is 1 test for the CCNA or one may chose to take 2 tests?

Whats the benifit of the paths?

Comments

• Dilbert65Dilbert65 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can the Full CCNA test or split them. I found that splitting them into two test cut down on all the information I needed to learn per test. Plus for me it helped to spend more time learning just the ICDN1 and really knowing it. Plus once I had the ICDN 1 under my belt I felt more confident going onto the ICDN2.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Super99,

Seeing that you have multiple certs, you don't appear to be a complete noob to the IT field. With that being said, I would recommend the 1 test route. The ICND1 (in my opinion) is if you're new to Cisco equipment and especially if you're new to the networking field. I went the 1 test route when I got started and that was without ever working with Cisco gear. I did however have about 7 years in IT (primarily Windows Server Administration) before I took on the CCNA. I hope this helps.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There used to be a cost savings taking the single exam over the two exam option -- and there still is, but now it's only the cost of gas for the 2nd trip to the exam center (and wear and tear on your car, the travel time, etc).

On the Plus side if you take the 2 exam option you earn the CCENT Certification for passing the ICND1 exam -- and you get twice the opportunities to Celebrate when you pass the ICND1/ICND2 exams.

The two exam options lets you break up the single CCNA exam into two smaller "study chunks" -- which can be helpful if you're a Networking noob.

The two exam option is also good for those people just starting out in the workforce and/or IT and who could use all the resume candy they can get.

CCNA - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    So the 640-802 CCNA covers both ICND1 and ICND2
    or I can take Both seperate correct?
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The two test route is cheaper if you use vouchers.

You can regularly get ICND1 and ICND2 vouchers for $90/each. The lowest I have seen the CCNA voucher is ~$240.
    Are there seperate book for the ICND path and the CCNA path?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Odom Certification Library is two volumes -- one for the ICND1 exam and one for the ICND2 exam (those Amazon links above). Together they should teach you everything you need to know for the CCNA (and enough extra to build a solid foundation for future advanced Cisco Certifications).

Todd's Sybex book (6th Edition) is GREAT for subnetting and a fun read. It's good as an intro before you get buried in Odom's books -- or as a review before the CCNA exam.

Here's the official titles if you don't want to follow the links:

Wendell Odom - Cisco Press - CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition

Todd Lammle - Sybex - CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, 6th Edition
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • binaryhatbinaryhat Member Posts: 129
    Is it possible to use Lammle's book for part 1 of the CCNA exam? And later for part 2? Or should I get Odom's two volume library. I hear that Lammle book is not as dry. BTW, my first time w/ cisco stuff but I have a general understanding of networking.
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
    Book: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
    Equipment: Packet Tracer, GNS3
    Supplement Material: Youtube, Google, Boson ExamSim-Max, CBTNuggets
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    binaryhat wrote: »
    Is it possible to use Lammle's book for part 1 of the CCNA exam? And later for part 2? Or should I get Odom's two volume library. I hear that Lammle book is not as dry. BTW, my first time w/ cisco stuff but I have a general understanding of networking.

Odom is really good, but he can put you to sleep. Even his videos could be used for sleeping instead of counting sheep.

But he knows what he's talking about and gets very detailed. I kinda thing that he unnecessarily gets too detailed but at the same time, I think he's just trying to prepare you to be the best.

I would mix it up. I didn't use Todd's book for my recent CCNA studies but I used him before.....
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Odom is really good, but he can put you to sleep. Even his videos could be used for sleeping instead of counting sheep.

But he knows what he's talking about and gets very detailed. I kinda thing that he unnecessarily gets too detailed but at the same time, I think he's just trying to prepare you to be the best.

I would mix it up. I didn't use Todd's book for my recent CCNA studies but I used him before.....

Odem and Bryant did it for me, however I am kind of wishing I had done cbt nuggets now that I am using him for CCNA Voice studies. Odem has alot of good information in his book that are great for details, as is his software. And Bryant is a good resource as well.

As you said though... don't be sleepy when reading their books or watching the videos. I find Jeremy a little more interesting to watch.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    chmorin wrote: »
    Odem and Bryant did it for me, however I am kind of wishing I had done cbt nuggets now that I am using him for CCNA Voice studies. Odem has alot of good information in his book that are great for details, as is his software. And Bryant is a good resource as well.

As you said though... don't be sleepy when reading their books or watching the videos. I find Jeremy a little more interesting to watch.

Jeremy is the best, I used him for the CCNA with a mixture of Odom for the more detailed stuff, because let's face it, I don't know if you can really use just one resource. Jeremy leaves a lot of details out, but entertaining.

I didn't use trainsignal for the CCNA but I am looking at it for the CCNA Security and Chris is really good, I'd say he's on the level of Odom with a little more entertainment. (detail wise)

The one thing about Bryant's videos and I'm nitpicking here is the way he pronounces the word "important"...

Because he seems to have a southern accent, it comes out really funny... and I'm one who likes southern accents...

Pay close attention next time when he says "important", he says it a lot actually and if you get OCD like me it starts to irk you.... LOL....
  • binaryhatbinaryhat Member Posts: 129
    If I use Lammle's CCENT Book for part 1 of the exam, what book do I use for part 2? I have Lammle's CCNA Study guide. Just trying to figure out the best study material.
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
    Book: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
    Equipment: Packet Tracer, GNS3
    Supplement Material: Youtube, Google, Boson ExamSim-Max, CBTNuggets
  • Dilbert65Dilbert65 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Chris Bryant videos. I found that he tell alot of "real world" thing that he has seen not only the cisco facts. Plus he is a CCIE which means he know what he is talking about.
    I got a copy of the book Todd's Sybex book (6th Edition). Very good book and it's not dry reading. Thanks for the recommendation MikeJ412