Got a new job !!!!

EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I dont usually post on TE but I wanted to share that after being laid off last april I finally got a new gig. The time between jobs was stressful, right after I was laid off I moved to North Carolina (hoping to find a job) and I just recently found out my wife is pregnant (you can imagine my stress level then).

My new job is not what im used to making in NY... almost a $20,000 pay cut BUT its working for a community college and the benefits are good. I definitely plan on continuing my studies and moving up within the ranks.

Thanks for all the great and knowledgeable post as well as the word of encouragement within the forums.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations on both fronts (job & baby on way)
    It may be a pay cut but I'm sure with the difference in the cost of living you'll notice that it's not as bad as you think.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Congrats. Hope you will have some vacation time by the time the baby arrives. Bonding with your new one will be the best vacation ever.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Now we know what you were doing while you were laid off ... icon_smile.gif

Well congratulations! I think the standard of living in NC will offset the paycut ...
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone, im confident that the reduction in salary will even out living in NC. Im excited about getting back to work and the people seem to be really cool.
    One of the benefits is being able to take one class for free each semester and I believe continuing education courses are free as well.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations for both the JOB and BABY!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS on the job and the baby!! I wish you and your family well...
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm currently employed, but I'm considering taking a $10K pay cut to accept an offer from a large university here in Georgia. I have a followup interview with another company tomorrow, and I'll be making my decision after I hear from them.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    depending on what location you're moving from & to, a $10k-20k paycut might not be that bad, cuz of COL in the area you're goin to, especially if its cheaper than where you came from. like if i was to move to alabama, i'd expect to take a hit in my salary doing the same thing i'm doin now, here in ny.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    congrats man!
    CCNP :study:
  • lalooshlaloosh Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on both fronts!

I've been unemployed since January myself, so I feel (some of) your pain. On the plus side, I've gotten to spend some quality time with my 4-year-old son over the past 3 months!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations! I think the pay cut will be a wash. NC is not an expensive place to live. Also a great place to raise a family.

Which part of NC?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...