Options

VBScript or PowerShell. Which do you use?

jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
VBScript or PowerShell?

Which do you prefer?

Which do you actually use and why?

I really like PowerShell, but still use VBScript.

I'd really love to do more with PowerShell, but I have so much VBScript that I've already wrote that when I need a new script, it's quicker for me to modify an existing VBScript than to write it in PowerShell. Additionally, my employer uses a ton of VBScript and there has been no push to start writing in PowerShell.

I guess the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here.

Again, I'm just curious what other Windows Sys Admins are using in the field.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PoSh every single day.

Edit-
    Just to add I use it with SQL Server, WSS 3.0, Excel and server management.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    These days for Windows scripting I use PowerShell, then PowerShell, after that I'll try it in PowerShell, next I'll take another swing at it in PowerShell, finally attempting it one more time in PowerShell, and if that doesn't work then KIXtart (nothing beats the simplicity of KIX for some tasks), and only if I absolutely have to VBscript.
    As I've said before, PowerShell and almost nothing else. Once you get proficient at it the power and simplicity available to you is amazing. I also have a large collection of VBScript's, KIX scripts, etc. but I still prefer to do it over - it usually takes only a few minutes longer and I can reuse it much easier in the future.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Never used VBScript, so I guess my answer is PoSh. That reminds me, I need to go write a script.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    havent hit pshell much yet... mostly vbs on windows, ksh on unix
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!