Options

Dusting off the Resume

luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I had a nice post typed out, but closed the window on accident. The short version is I am interested in moving to a larger city to find career advancement. I haven't changed much with me resume in years (other than additional info). Let me know what you guys think.

resumek.jpg

Corrections to Resume
1. Time at position
a. 4 yr Company #1
b. 1 yr Company #2
c. 3 yr Company #3

2. Minor Edits
a. Fix headings
b. Organize more detailed bullets
c. Fix Education Background (no caps)
d. Remove "Selected Highlights"

Comments

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you might wanna list the time periods @ each job....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Random observations...

The centered text under "Professional Experience" draws my eye away from your accomplishments at each...I end up jumping from one company name to another insted of reading the important stuff in between.

Are the bullet points under Company #1 listed in the order you want a prospective employer to notice them? My main skillsets are virtualization, Windows server & Active Directory administration, and InfoSec/disaster recovery. Depending on the job I was applying for, I'd move the most applicable of those to the top of the bulleted list.

Why do you use all caps for "EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND" and nowhere else?

"Selected highlights" is a bit implied with a resume. Maybe replace it with something like "Duties and accomplishments" or even omit to save space?
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Random observations...

The centered text under "Professional Experience" draws my eye away from your accomplishments at each...I end up jumping from one company name to another insted of reading the important stuff in between.

I agree with all your points. The Title does draw attention away, and I have noticed it before, just never did anything about it.
    Are the bullet points under Company #1 listed in the order you want a prospective employer to notice them? My main skillsets are virtualization, Windows server & Active Directory administration, and InfoSec/disaster recovery. Depending on the job I was applying for, I'd move the most applicable of those to the top of the bulleted list.

The bullet points are in no particular order, but perhaps it is a better idea to list more detail experience and product/technology knowledge.
    Why do you use all caps for "EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND" and nowhere else?

I don't have a good reason for all caps on my Education Background. I never thought much of it till now, but that is why I am in the process of a rework.
    "Selected highlights" is a bit implied with a resume. Maybe replace it with something like "Duties and accomplishments" or even omit to save space?

This is the kind of response I like, anything to save some space. I already have to omit tons of stuff to mange 2 pages. I will take your suggestion and remove the "Selected highlights".