Options

Vlan setup for VSwitch on VMWare

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone had any expierence setup a vlan on a vswitch on vmware. We want to configure the ports on the vswitch to a certain vlan and was wondering if this can be done like on cisco switch?
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Has anyone had any expierence setup a vlan on a vswitch on vmware. We want to configure the ports on the vswitch to a certain vlan and was wondering if this can be done like on cisco switch?

I've played with VMware a couple months ago and setup my own lab.

I don't think the vlan setup is very difficult, you just have to go to the network settings and set the NIC card to the correct VLAN and then it will tag it.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Create a new portgroup on the vSwitch and set the appropriate VLAN ID, change the network label on the vNICs of any VMs you want to move to the new portgroup.

Also you'll need to have your uplink ports - the ones going from your ESX servers pNICs to the physical switch(es) - configured as trunk ports.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks to the both of you.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.