HELP!! CISSP Practice Exam

smiahsmiah Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first questions.
I have studied mainly from cissp Sybex 4th Edition and other 3rd party exam questions, heavily studied for last 4 months after work.
I've recently taken the cissp exam first time and was shocked to see that most of the questions which i've never seen before in books or in any other practice exam guides. some of the answers were not seen before!
it was feel like i've walked into wrong exam room.
I have studied so hard was not expecting to see anything like this!!
my questions is
1) Is there different type of cissp exam available? have i entered to wrong exam?
2) can anyone recommend me any good sites for cissp practise exam?
(paid or freebie)
3) please mail me the practice exam in ccure site?
All feedback is much appreciated as i'm deeply stressed with the result!!
please send feeadbacks and practise exam site to:
Best regards

Comments

• LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    I also used the Sybex as that was the only book I read, do you also have experience for the CISSP? The questions were not straight book answers but put you in situations so I would have to ask do you have the experience for those types of questions.
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The more practical InfoSec work experience you have the better you chances of passing the CISSP exam. The CISSP books by Shon Harris and the (ISC)2 are highly recommended. The free practice exam site run by cccure.org is www.freepracticetests.or. Make sure you read as many posts in the CISSP fourms at www.cccure.org that you can. Lots of great study information there. PrepLogic also has very good CISSP practice exams.
  • smiahsmiah Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been working in I.T for last 10 years as a systems /security administrator and do have experience on few of the domain domains.
    I will defo buying the shon harris 5th edition and practise the questions.
    I have searched on internet and came across this site CISSP Exam Practice Questions and CISSP Example Tests which seems quite interesting, they have 5 demo questions to try and 3 of them did came to my exam. they were almost the same as in exam format.

1) Did anyone tried this site: CISSP Exam Practice Questions and CISSP Example Tests if yes, please share your comments

2) does anyone else knows any similar sites?
    smiah wrote: »
    I have searched on internet and came across this site CISSP Exam Practice Questions and CISSP Example Tests which seems quite interesting, they have 5 demo questions to try and 3 of them did came to my exam. they were almost the same as in exam format.
    If they sell practice questions that actually appear on certification exams then they are a **** site, and use of their materials is a violation of the certification vendor's licensing agreement.

We warn against buying anything from an exam **** businesses, not only because it's unethical to ****, but also because many sell old or useless material and may rip-off their customer's credit card numbers. Stick with legitimate study materials provider, such as PrepLogic, Train Signal, Trancender, and MeasureUp.
  • dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
    I checked this site with certguard and it came up clean....I also ran the demo, and the questions were very similar to what you would get with the OIGv2.

Just putting in my 2-cents.....
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The **** sites for the CISSP are imo a crock. I assume they get old retired questions from ISC2 and resell them to CISSP candidates who do not know any better.

Besides the test pool is so large you would spend more time memorizing the test pool than just studying the material to understand it.
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Old exam questions are useful, as they give you the format of the actual questions you'll see. I used cccure.org and the Harris book as well as Transcender for practice exams.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
    Old exam questions are useful, as they give you the format of the actual questions you'll see.
    This is a reason why the (ISC)2 sells obsolete exam items as part of its studISCope materials.
  • botbillbotbill Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The more practical InfoSec work experience you have the better you chances of passing the CISSP exam. The CISSP books by Shon Harris and the (ISC)2 are highly recommended. The free practice exam site run by cccure.org is www.freepracticetests.or. Make sure you read as many posts in the CISSP fourms at www.cccure.org that you can. Lots of great study information there. PrepLogic also has very good CISSP practice exams.

I just recently passed the sec+ to set up my way to cissp. I picked up the AIO and ISC books, got preplogic and cram exam test exams. I just took some of the practice exam from AIO to see where i am at they seem OK. But I don't believe the test is going to be this easy. 6 hours test -

I agree with you from other posts as far as my studing habbits. To be honest, AIO from Shon scares the hell of out me Thick and A lot of material. ISC book seems to be OK. I am thinking about printer the pdf from AIO to read it.

With your testing experience, what is the best way to retain the information from the book?
    working on cissp, ceh and pmp
    botbill wrote: »
    With your testing experience, what is the best way to retain the information from the book?
    Well, it's really no different than how you would retain information from reading any other book containing an intimidating amount of knowledge. icon_lol.gif If you find the information interesting, entertaining, and you can relate it to your real-world experience, you will remember it. This is why the more (and varied) professional InfoSec experience you have, the more likely you are to pass the CISSP exam. You will answer many of the CISSP exam items correctly because your professional experience guides you, and not because you've memorized a lot of rote facts from a book.

I assume that you've already read my blog articles on studying for the CISSP exam?
  • smiahsmiah Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is "OIGv2" (you can tell i'm new to this)
    please send possible link if it's an site?
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    smiah wrote: »
    What is "OIGv2" (you can tell i'm new to this)
    please send possible link if it's an site?

the OIG is the ISC2 official guide :-
    Amazon.com: Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Second Edition ((ISC)2 Press) (9781439809594): Harold F. Tipton: Books
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • VoxOrionVoxOrion Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Three of us recently took ISC2 exams (one CISSP, two SSCP's) - two of us have results (pass), the other hasn't heard anything yet.

We all agreed that none of the practice exams (books, electronic) we had access to came close, but two thirds of us know we passed so it probably didn't matter.

My observations:

1. Practice exams are overly technical compared to the exam
    2. Practice exams cover more material than you'll be tested on

So what?

On 1, you're being tested on the root of the knowledge - though you may not be asked (for example) to differentiate 802.11a from b and g, you may be asked a question that requires you to understand those differences, if you get what I'm saying. You need to drill that stuff, it doesn't matter that the exam won't ask many hard-core fill in the blank tech questions.

On 2, this was very frustrating to us all, but you know what? That's life and ISC2 warns you - it's a wide deep pool of knowledge and you can't know which exam you are going to get. There were a number of areas where I spent considerable amounts of time studying material that didn't even come up on the exam - oh well. I still know it.

That leaves the old "type of question" thing that everyone gets hung up about. I say blow that concern off, learn the material, and you'll be fine.

I say use the practice exams, be able to pass them, but don't expect to see questions "like" (MS Certified professional speak for "exactly") the practice exams, or even similar.

It is easier to say all of this after you've passed the exam, I respect that. This is just "our" two cents (I know my study partners agree).
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Well, it's really no different than how you would retain information from reading any other book containing an intimidating amount of knowledge. icon_lol.gif If you find the information interesting, entertaining, and you can relate it to your real-world experience, you will remember it. This is why the more (and varied) professional InfoSec experience you have, the more likely you are to pass the CISSP exam. You will answer many of the CISSP exam items correctly because your professional experience guides you, and not because you've memorized a lot of rote facts from a book.

I assume that you've already read my blog articles on studying for the CISSP exam?

yes i have. I agree with you. i am giving myself 10 weeks to read and 2 weeks to review. I think these are my weaknesses:

SECURITY ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN
    BUSINESS CONTINUITY & DISASTER RECOVERY PLANNING
    ACCESS CONTROL
    INFORMATION SECURITY & RISK MANAGEMENT
    APPLICATION SECURITY

I will try to nail these down. If you have any suggestions, please help.
    Thanks,
    VoxOrion wrote: »
    Three of us recently took ISC2 exams (one CISSP, two SSCP's) - two of us have results (pass), the other hasn't heard anything yet.

We all agreed that none of the practice exams (books, electronic) we had access to came close, but two thirds of us know we passed so it probably didn't matter.

My observations:

1. Practice exams are overly technical compared to the exam
    2. Practice exams cover more material than you'll be tested on

So what?

On 1, you're being tested on the root of the knowledge - though you may not be asked (for example) to differentiate 802.11a from b and g, you may be asked a question that requires you to understand those differences, if you get what I'm saying. You need to drill that stuff, it doesn't matter that the exam won't ask many hard-core fill in the blank tech questions.

On 2, this was very frustrating to us all, but you know what? That's life and ISC2 warns you - it's a wide deep pool of knowledge and you can't know which exam you are going to get. There were a number of areas where I spent considerable amounts of time studying material that didn't even come up on the exam - oh well. I still know it.

That leaves the old "type of question" thing that everyone gets hung up about. I say blow that concern off, learn the material, and you'll be fine.

I say use the practice exams, be able to pass them, but don't expect to see questions "like" (MS Certified professional speak for "exactly") the practice exams, or even similar.

It is easier to say all of this after you've passed the exam, I respect that. This is just "our" two cents (I know my study partners agree).

Congrats on your pass. I hope i can post the same thing when i pass this cissp. I think i got what you meant "On 1". Some of James's posts are good too.
    I do enjoy reading AIO and OI book so will see. Some of them make sense but some i have no idea what they are talking about.
    Good Friday
    Thanks,
  • m130m130 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the good advice. I went to the boot camp but the one we had in Huntsville was really a waste of time. I mean I work in this stuff everyday. I went to the bootcamp and thought I would cram but failed the test. Ouch!

So, I vowed to never take it again. But, after thinking this is a career move for me not just some certification I started back this past August studying all the videos from Shon Harris, Got the CISSP for Dummies book (highly recommend btw) and took over 2 2" thick front and back of notes. Also had the Shon Harris MP3 on my ipod. Studied bits at a time and very strategically. The good things is I really enjoy this stuff so much I can't hardly put it down. So, I payed my own money again and took the test on Oct 24 and made a 649 and needed 700. What a heartbreaker!!! I honestly don't know anything else to do. The only thing one can do is study again, get back on the horse and take it again. I refuse to let this test beat me. The two MCSEs and MCSA along with Security+, A+, Net+, Redhat, etc. don't even come close to this test. I will tell you that self study, if you can do it right (meaning taking it slow and really understand the big picture) is better than any boot camp unless someone knows a good one. The one we went to by the way 77% failed the test. So, we had told the company but they didn't give us any money back. Now, I have to get certified to keep my job. But, as I said this is a career move you guys and if you think of it as an investment then the rewards are far greater than the money..Hope this helps instill confidence in someone and please help me by sending me any links, books, anything that I can study more to pass the 3rd. time...I AM BEGGING
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.