BGP is evil..

DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
I swear to bog, if I'd had any say in the RFC that defined BGP, I would have insisted that it use TCP port 666.

So I went in to take BSCI today. It is, without a doubt, the hardest exam I've ever faced. It makes the CCNA look like a high school math test.

Really, this exam should be called Bulding Scalable Cisco Internetworks with EIGRP. Lots, and lots of EIGRP.

I'm not gonna tell you how many routersims I got, I'll just say they involved configuring a routing protocol, nat, and redistribution. Know your stuff.

My prep materials were mainly the Cisco Academy Curriculum v3, the Sybex book, Transcender, and alot of routers. These were enough to teach me the basics. I could count the number of 'easy' questions if I'd had one arm amputated and two fingers chopped off on the other hand. And I'd still have fingers left over. This exam not only tests your knowledge of the subject matter, but your analytical ability.

Oh, did I pass?

Yeah, 917. But it sure made me work for it.
= Marcus Drakonblayde
================
CCNP-O-Meter:
=[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
=CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    BGP is something else indeed, sounds like you killed it though, congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    Really, this exam should be called Bulding Scalable Cisco Internetworks with EIGRP. Lots, and lots of EIGRP.
    I didn't get much EIGRP myself, too litte imo actually, I think it has a lot to do with how you answer the initial survey.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol.. at least u passed the test congrats .. i hope to shooting that bull in the next month or so
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I'd say a good third of my questions were EIGRP, with the remaining 2/3's split pretty evenly between ospf and bgp, with a few isis and miscellanous BS like ip6 thrown in here and there.

And I'm not sure the survey actually does effect your question selection. For starters, I lied and said I didn't know anything in the hopes that maybe I would influence it ;) And from what I know of Sylvan at least, the test is downloaded either the day of or the night before, that's why you have to give them some notice if you reschedule. What I don't know is if it's downloading the entire question database (doubtful, be easier just to keep it locally), a big subset of questions which your survey could potentially influence, or just your questions, regardless of what you put on the survey. I'd think for security and integrity reasons, the last one makes the most sense... the worst your risking compromise on via dishonest people is one set of questions instead of your entire question base.

Dunno though, it'd take someone from cisco or a testing center to answer for sure.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Congrats....when I took it a few years ago...BGP was hit really hard..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    or just your questions, regardless of what you put on the survey. I'd think for security and integrity reasons, the last one makes the most sense...
    Makes sense indeed and you are probably right. But I took the beta exam about a year ago and the 'real' thing several months after and I thought I noticed how the survey influenced my question set, cause I deliberately choose different answers (uhmm... different routing protocol skills...).
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I got a little annoyed, they asked me the BGP synch rule like 3 different ways. I was like 'alright already, I know it, sheesh, move on!'

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in the initial post, the ? on the sims worked just peachy. I dunno about tab completion, because I don't use, I use the short forms of the commands, which also worked just fine.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
  • YozhYozh Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats!

That test wasnt easy, but if you take your time and prep the right way its a snap.

and yeah the tab and ? works well on the sims.
    LIfe is hard, thats all I have to say.