I Know Nothing About Voice!?!?

cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
Hello everybody. I just faced a very hard situation in the office which I don't have any clue regarding it, and I really need some help. I know it sounds stupid and boring.... We have a Cisco 1760 Router, not the V version thought, and my boss wants me to implement voice!!! I'm lost and don't know what to do, I don't know anything about voice... Our requirements is something to support from 50 to 60 IP Phones and if it can't be then how many call can be supported on this router with the right modules? My questions are :

1- Will the 1760 supports Digital or Analog voice or both?
2- How many and which PVDM should be installed to accomodate those IP Phones?
3- What VIC should be installed? the 2 0r 4FOX or the FXS?
4- Will every IP Phone connects to the switch or to a seperate port on the VIC Card?
5- I believe it's not supported, but is the VWIC-1MFT-T1 supported on the 1760?
6- Can I connnect the VIC port to a PBX?
7- What's the cheapest IP Phones that re available and can do the job?

Thanks in advance guys and any help will be really too appreciated.

Comments

• joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Implementing a CIsco VOIP phone system from scratch is no easy task, particularly if you have no experiance with it. My suggestion is to be honest with your manager and tell him that you would like to get some help on this. Its okay to get/ask for help, esp on this kind of deal. Your going to need Cisco Call Manager, Unity and all this ties into AD and Exchange, plus you will have router config changes, you will need PoE switches to handle the phones and don't forget about those fax machines, they have to be tied into the phone system. You will probably want a PRI from the telco provider if you don't already have one which will tie into your router. I would recommend you hire a cisco voice consultant to help you with this.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Reference http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/41620-help-cme-v7-cisco-1760-a.html with 1760 and CME information. You may have other options, but I am still learning for my CCNA:V so I can not say that for sure yet.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like you've been thrown in the deep end...

The 1760 is a 4 slot router with a single fast Ethernet port, so depending on your requirements would determine what the maximum is we can squeeze out of it. Also remember that the 1760 wont support Unity Express if voicemail is required.

Is this a stand alone router?
    Are you connecting to the WAN? If you are, are you connecting via serial or T1?
    Are you connecting to the PSTN via FXO or T1?
    Are you connecting to a PBX via FXO/FXS or T1?
    How many analogue phones/fax's do you need to support?
    Do you need voicemail (Unity Express or external voicemail)?
    And many more questions....
    1- Will the 1760 supports Digital or Analogue voice or both?
    The 1760 will support up to 24 IP phones, so it falls short of your requirements there and could be a major sticking point. It is capable of supporting FXS (for phones/faxes), FXO (to your service provider) and T1/E1 services (to your service provider).
    2- How many and which PVDM should be installed to accommodate those IP Phones?
    This would depend on what FXS, FXO and T1/E1 services you intend to support, plus how many simultaneous telephone conferences you intend to run and if you will need to transcode any audio. A max'd out 1760 with 2 x PDVM-256K-20's would allow you (assuming no transcoding);

1 x 6 party conference
    8 x FXS/FXO ports (any combination)
    42 x T1/E1 channels (to the PSTN or a PBX)
    3- What VIC should be installed? the 2 0r 4FOX or the FXS?
    This really comes down to what services you need to provide. How many analogue phones, are you connecting to the PSTN via FXO or T1? Personally I'd go with 4 port cards (4FXS, 4FXO) as you are more bang for the available slots on the 1760.
    4- Will every IP Phone connects to the switch or to a seperate port on the VIC Card?
    IP phones will connect to the switch, analogue phones will connect to the VIC. Depending on the switch, it may not support PoE or advanced VLANs.
    5- I believe it's not supported, but is the VWIC-1MFT-T1 supported on the 1760?
    The 1760 can support multiple VWIC-1MFT-T1's.
    6- Can I connnect the VIC port to a PBX?
    Yes you can. You can connect an FXS to an FXO.
    7- What's the cheapest IP Phones that re available and can do the job?
    Forgetting the really old phones, from eBay I'd say 7912, 7940 and 7960. If new I'd say 7911, 7941 and 7961 (I think they are current).

A good starting point for learning is the CCNA-Voice Study Guide and to CBT Nuggets that complement them.

Hope this info helps.:D
  • cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    Thanks a lot guys for your replies, it was helpful and really handy... I guess I'm gonna be open with my boss, he thought it was something easy and I followed, in fact it is a very small company.Good on you azaghul, you really nailed it and clarified everything towards it, thanks for this big effort bro. I know I'm very short on voice, which is the first reason I'm going to study and prepare for it as soon as possible. Thanks for the perfect inputs guys...
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cerberos wrote: »
    Thanks a lot guys for your replies, it was helpful and really handy... I guess I'm gonna be open with my boss, he thought it was something easy and I followed, in fact it is a very small company.Good on you azaghul, you really nailed it and clarified everything towards it, thanks for this big effort bro. I know I'm very short on voice, which is the first reason I'm going to study and prepare for it as soon as possible. Thanks for the perfect inputs guys...

If you start studying for your CCNA:V you could learn that it is possible to slowly implement a VoIP infrastructure into an analogue system. So as you start to study, I'm sure you boss would be happy if you approached him with some ideas =)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    chmorin wrote: »
    If you start studying for your CCNA:V you could learn that it is possible to slowly implement a VoIP infrastructure into an analogue system. So as you start to study, I'm sure you boss would be happy if you approached him with some ideas =)

That's true bro. It's a nice path thought regarding your certs. If I were you I would hit the Sec+ as well, you would do great on the CCNA Sec side. Wish me luck on the voice side after completing my CCNA, too much delay I got since I got my CCENT due to work, lazy me!