Options

Relocation question

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey,

i voiced concerns about my new position in a post previously a month back or so which concluded i would pretty much have to move jobs (again!). So now ive seen a job in the UK which im thinking about applying for a cisco gold partner but this would meaning moving once more. From the web (this is not my opinion) the town appears to be a sh*t hole :D - but like i say thats from web reviews. so would you guys up sticks to a place which was a hell hole for the sake of a possible good job? or would you hang fire until a better location appeared?

i currently live in an amazing city so the next place is gona have to be pretty good to :) - or at least i hope. The place is a small town 30 miles west from central london so are also thinking it maybe viable to live in london and then commute out to the work place.

Obviously i havent appplied yet but would like to know what you guys would do in such a situation?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Visit it. Check with the local police, they usually won't answer direct questions about the 'quality' of an area but you can ask if they would live there (if they don't already) and they are usually allowed to answer that type of personal opinion based question.
    If you have any doubts though definitely commute for a while, when you get to know your colleagues they're a lot more likely to be honest about the locale.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    nel wrote: »
    The place is a small town 30 miles west from central london so are also thinking it maybe viable to live in london and then commute out to the work place.QUOTE]

Chances are they will do most of there business in London being that close, so it wouldnt be a bad move. Care to tell me which town ? I can give you a more balanced view if needed having lived around the area for a while now.
    sounds like the M4 corridor or the silcon valley fo teh UK at least lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    nel wrote: »
    The place is a small town 30 miles west from central london so are also thinking it maybe viable to live in london and then commute out to the work place.QUOTE]

Chances are they will do most of there business in London being that close, so it wouldnt be a bad move. Care to tell me which town ? I can give you a more balanced view if needed having lived around the area for a while now.
    sounds like the M4 corridor or the silcon valley fo teh UK at least lol

Hey,

Its a place in surrey called camberley. Like i said, ive never been so cant comment first hand only what ive read from reviews on the web. The job itself is a typical noc job working shifts, which i would be willing to do to get the experiance/exposure of what i crave, i would just prefer to live in london with it being pretty close as living in london is something ive always wanted to do. Ive looked into maybe relocating to west london and travelling out but the commute looks pretty brutal aswell, no doubt it will be standard for a lot of folk down there though. what do you think?

• Options
    Hya bud, no worries Camberley isn't that bad these days, it's an ex army town so bit rough around the edges. I used to go drinking there back in the day lol
    The commute from West London would be a ball ache but doable depending on mode of transport.
    But as I've already said that's getting into the silicon valley of the uk. There are loads of resellers\businesses around that area it would be a good area to be living in icon_smile.gif And you're not far from Cisco HQ.

All in all I'd make the move if it was me icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Hi mate,

cheers, trust me mate, im used to rough around the edges from my home city :D.

yeah ive looked at the commute and it looks aweful, probably talking 2 hours minimum each way using god knows how many different modes of transport! so it doesnt look a viable option which is a shame because i really want the hussle and bussle of the city life for a few years.

i havent even applied for the role yet as it would also effect me doing my masters next year too, so theres quite a few options i have to weigh up. im just trying to think what i would do if it came to that. hmmmm :D

• Options
    no worries bud icon_smile.gif

one more piece of advice, APPLY for the role and worry about the "what if's" after you get an offer icon_smile.gif

You can always turn it down should you decide not to go down that route. If nothing else its good practice lol