Anyone here in the Air Force?

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was just wondering if anyone here is in the USAF and if so, what job they are doing, if they are enlisted or an officer, and if they have anything good/bad to say about it.

I'm looking into joining.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My husband is USAF and is enlisted. He has been in since 18. One of the biggest things I hear from him is " job security". Did you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer?
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    My best advice would be to go to the local Air Guard Unit, tell the recruiter what is going on and tell him you are divided between the guard and active duty. Ask for a tour of the unit, a lot of times there will be guys there working extra days "forgot what the term is" talk to the guys in the career field you are interested in, take a look at the equipment, ask them about their jobs. You will then have a more honest idea of what those jobs are and can make a more informed decision. If I had to do it all over I would do my 20 in the Air Force and not even look back.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I joined when I was 17, and discharged before I turned 18. I worked on electrical generators. Biggest thing I can tell you is don't believe much of what a recruiter tells you. They will tell you what you want to hear to get you to join. Just make sure it's something you want to do, getting in is easy - out well that's a different story.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • GamingCrazyGamingCrazy Member Posts: 113
    I joined when I was 17, and discharged before I turned 18. I worked on electrical generators. Biggest thing I can tell you is don't believe much of what a recruiter tells you. They will tell you what you want to hear to get you to join. Just make sure it's something you want to do, getting in is easy - out well that's a different story.

Dishonorable discharge?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kiki1579 wrote: »
    My husband is USAF and is enlisted. He has been in since 18. One of the biggest things I hear from him is " job security". Did you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer?

How has that been on your relationship? If you don't mind me asking. I am currently in a relationship but we are both separated anyway because of college. I am just wondering how the USAF affects relationships.
    My best advice would be to go to the local Air Guard Unit, tell the recruiter what is going on and tell him you are divided between the guard and active duty. Ask for a tour of the unit, a lot of times there will be guys there working extra days "forgot what the term is" talk to the guys in the career field you are interested in, take a look at the equipment, ask them about their jobs. You will then have a more honest idea of what those jobs are and can make a more informed decision. If I had to do it all over I would do my 20 in the Air Force and not even look back.

They would pull in someone they don't know to tour their base? You're kidding. I have two air guard bases near me, but how does the guard differ in benefits from the airforce? I guess I will contact a local recruiter about it.
    That's the story I hear from alot from people who don't enjoy the military. I was brought up in a military environment, and much of my family has been in many branches of the military. I have learned to ask recruiters questions that I care about, and research the rest (and what they told me) accordingly. Generally, what they say is not a lie. It is just a very optimistic way of looking at things. Read the contract, and you will find "Anything promised to you by the USAF that is not in this contract is in no way guaranteed to be a part of your active duty terms" or something along those lines. This is something I have been contemplating seriously since I was 15, and I have talked to many people who have been in the military - Some who liked it some who didn't. Thank you for the warning though.

I want to join for more than just a 'job'. I also want to serve my country. I understand any branch (guard or active or reserve) has a good chance of being deployed away from my home country. I may be willing to accept that chance should the right things be presented. So... I'm looking at what made it worth while for others!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    They would pull in someone they don't know to tour their base? You're kidding. I have two air guard bases near me, but how does the guard differ in benefits from the airforce? I guess I will contact a local recruiter about it.

Happened all the time when I was in the guard. The recruiter walked people around all the time, all they had to do was make sure an area was clean "ie no classified material laying around" before they brought someone in.

Have you checked out the career fields yet. The one I would be interested in if you want networking is cyber transport systems and computers is client services. Also if you want to do security there is electronic systems security assessment.

• themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I was honorable discharged due to a torn ligament in my left leg. I have nothing against the military, if it's something you want to do and enjoy the work you can't beat the benefits. The only thing that really got to me while I was in was the fact that you are on call 24/7, and everything you did - even off duty, off base, was the military's business. But each their own, just make sure it's what you want.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • madhattr23madhattr23 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I joined the USAF Reserves to help pay for college, overall it was a good experience. I was in Aerospace Maintenance, basically an aircraft mechanic. I picked the job because it was something I had never done, it had the biggest enlistment bonus and an added GI Bill kicker. Looking back probably not the best reason to pick that job, but since I joined a Reserve unit I figured I could do that job once a month and if I was deployed for a couple months, so it wasn't like I had to do it every day for 6 years.

Really, depending on the field you pick in the Air Force it's just like any other job, it will have it's ups and downs. The only catch is you can't choose to quit and find a new one, you have to stick it out until your contract is up. But, because of that it helps people grow up and discipline themselves to get the job done and not give up. The more you try to get out of work the harder it will be for you, so it is what you make it.

If you go the Guard or Reserve route research the jobs they have at those bases, how long the tech schools are and how often they deploy. With bootcamp and my tech school I was gone about 8 months, but I was fortunate that over 6 years our unit as a whole was never deployed. We had a large Squadron and people were quick to volunteer and fill up the slots for deployments.

I think the only mistake I made was not picking a job that didn't relate to my civilian career, but just the fact that I was in the military has helped me get a lot of interviews and land me jobs over other people because of that experience. My bosses know I'm here to get the job done and not come up with excuses.
  • kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    chmorin....

Honestly it depends on your job field. If you are gonna be overseas, or away from your loved ones, it's tough. But if you are in a job field where you only go to certain bases, then it's not that bad. My husband only has 1 place on his "dream sheet", so it's not like he's going anywhere anytime soon.

As far as me, well I moved an hour from where I was. My job was coming to an end, and we were getting married. Right now I'm in the process of going to school and staying busy, since my career field doesn't have much where we live. So hopefully, by the time he retires, we'll have kids, I'll be done school, and maybe move a little further north where most of the jobs are. So as you can see it's a little tougher on the spouses.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    kiki, just wanted to say that yes, it can be so hard on the families/spouses, and thank you to all the unsung heroes.....military spouses and family members. I was always single while I was in, saw my buddies go through some bad times from families having to deal with the situation. Now that I have a family, I couldn't imagine being deployed like I was. God bless ya'll!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    got out 5yrs ago.. did 8 yrs. spent it all in Japan.. woohoo! biggest mistake I ever made was getting out =(.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • NatroNatro Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    How has that been on your relationship? If you don't mind me asking. I am currently in a relationship but we are both separated anyway because of college. I am just wondering how the USAF affects relationships.

That's the story I hear from alot from people who don't enjoy the military. I was brought up in a military environment, and much of my family has been in many branches of the military. I have learned to ask recruiters questions that I care about, and research the rest (and what they told me) accordingly. Generally, what they say is not a lie. It is just a very optimistic way of looking at things. Read the contract, and you will find "Anything promised to you by the USAF that is not in this contract is in no way guaranteed to be a part of your active duty terms" or something along those lines. This is something I have been contemplating seriously since I was 15, and I have talked to many people who have been in the military - Some who liked it some who didn't. Thank you for the warning though.

I want to join for more than just a 'job'. I also want to serve my country. I understand any branch (guard or active or reserve) has a good chance of being deployed away from my home country. I may be willing to accept that chance should the right things be presented. So... I'm looking at what made it worth while for others!

Hey I'm prior Active Duty Navy. I was an Information Systems Tech. It was tough being gone all the time. Good times and bad times, but I loved every minute of it (yes, it's possible to love the bad times lol).

Did 4 years, honorable discharge now I'm in school and trying to get my certs.

Lots of people have negative things to say and sometimes the complaints are valid. However lots of people simply either can't hack it or make the situation bad for themselves and then blame it on the service.

The service will give you the chance to shine or to screw up tremendously. it all depends on how you play your cards.

Best of luck in whatever path you choose.
    The effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Chmorin, you might want to check out www.commguys.net, it is an active forum of 3 Deltas (the general field of technology in the air force, it breaks down further, I know 3DX3 is security, X2 is ops, etc.)

I am prior AF but when I was in, the field was 3C0X1... they changed it about a year ago.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm thinking of joining the USAF Reserves. I'm guessing I'll still be working a full-timer to make bills though? I just want to do this to get someone to pay for my schooling.