The next 36 hours ...

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I did it!

Purchased a voucher to book my exam that is, for 640/816. Used the link on here and finally got a discount email today too, so I only paid $84! Currently waiting on the voucher to be emailed to me, and will likely schedule the exam for noon time to 2PM on Thursday the 29th. The testing center where I go, is usually pretty easy to get an appointment at, so this gives me roughly 36 hours and enough time to start my panic attacks!

I feel like I"m ready, but don't want to fool myself... I"m scoring in the low 80's on the boson practice test, however I still suck at the sims and don't feel I am quite fast enough on the VLSM scenarios. I eventually get there with the VLSM questions, but it seems like working out one of those VLSM design questions takes forever!

I feel like I know the material, but not overly comfortable with it. Maybe it's just me, however I plan to take the exam Thursday, if not only to measure how prepared I am. So I'm off to start covering the DIKTA sections, take the boson practice test again and will probably rewatch a few CBT nugget videos from time to time tonight and tomorrow.

On Thursday I will sleep in, briefly look over my study sheets nothing major, while sitting in the parking lot of the facility about 1-2 hours ahead of the appointment.

Am I missing anything? icon_study.gif Any suggestion? icon_study.gif
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Good luck dude!!

It's always a catch 22 to question your readiness isn't it?

I can be first to tell you that I still have lots to learn, even after I get other certs I would be kidding myself if I think just having CCNA makes me know everything there is to know about CCNA.

I could have easily failed the CCNA if I had a different pool of questions....

So go for it, take the test, and just keep learning...
  • rackemuprackemup Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Heya fieldmonkey,
    while sitting in the parking lot of the facility about 1-2 hours ahead of the appointment.
    The above doesn't really work for me, I felt a walk around the block did more for clearing my mind. But if it helps you, then by all means, have at it...:)

Best advice I've ever been given was - relax...icon_cool.gif

I'm sure you'll get the "pass" we all hope for.

And just like 'notgoing2fail' says - no matter what happens, keep going!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can do it bud, the exam's are brutally honest when it comes to testing what you know. Pass or fail, you will probably leave knowing you want to brush up on things. I know I do.

Relax for the day, and give it all you got!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Good luck.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good Luck!

And sorry I deleted you on Yahoo. Apparently in Pidgin when you remove a group, it deletes all the people who were in that group rather than putting them all back into the default group as I expected. My OCD bites me again. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck man... I'm taking the CCNA Security on Thursday... so I'm feeling the "nervousness" of taking an exam!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Good Luck !!! I've had to reschedule a couple of times now....work and life have been getting in the way of study time. Just haven't been sure enough of my knowledge to sit the for exam. Hopefully you'll get in there and kick its butt..again good luck!
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks to all ... here's one I didn't know

Odoms' Book states:

With the no ip subnet-zero command configured on a router, that router rejects any ip address command that uses an address/mask combination for the zero subnet. For example , the interface subcommand ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 implies zero subnet 10.0.0.0/24, so the router would reject the command...

So does that mean the first usable ip address with that mask would be 10.0.1.1 ?

Then what about mask /16 or /8 ... if the command is configured, would the same hold true?

I always thought it just meant the subnet zero alone. icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks to all ... here's one I didn't know

Odoms' Book states:

With the no ip subnet-zero command configured on a router, that router rejects any ip address command that uses an address/mask combination for the zero subnet. For example , the interface subcommand ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 implies zero subnet 10.0.0.0/24, so the router would reject the command...

So does that mean the first usable ip address with that mask would be 10.0.1.1 ?

Then what about mask /16 or /8 ... if the command is configured, would the same hold true?

I always thought it just meant the subnet zero alone. icon_study.gif

no ip subnet-zero reverts back to the pre RFC 1878 (I believe, dont quote me on the exact number icon_mrgreen.gif) and IOS 12.0 behavior where that you can't use the first or last subnet of the range. For example, if you break 10.0.0.0/8 into /24 subnets, you can only use 10.0.1.0/24 through 10.0.254.0/24. Subnet 0 (10.0.0.0/24) and the all 1's subnet (10.255.255.0/24) won't be usable.

Here is a little more on it.
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks alan...

Does anyone know how similar some the practice modules are on CLN are to the actual exam?

I know this can be a bit hard to answer, and that some of them suck, a couple of others are actually pretty decent I think.

I was just wondering because I score fairly well on some of them and the questions are straight forward like some have said about the exam... you either know it or you don't. icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Practice run two: 78% .... errrr icon_study.gif

tick::tock:::tick::tock
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Practice run two: 78% .... errrr icon_study.gif

tick::tock:::tick::tock

DUDE!!! RELAX!!!! icon_mrgreen.gif
    DUDE!!! RELAX!!!! icon_mrgreen.gif

I am relaxed! --- lol ...

Ok ... so tell me this ...

Is there a good way to remember when you should use the frame-relay interface-dlci command versus the frame-relay map ip <remote ip> <dlci> broadcast?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    I am relaxed! --- lol ...

Ok ... so tell me this ...

Is there a good way to remember when you should use the frame-relay interface-dlci command versus the frame-relay map ip <remote ip> <dlci> broadcast?

Well let me see if I can recall this correctly it's been awhile...

You'll want to use this: frame-relay map ip <remote ip> <dlci> broadcast?

When you want to create more of a point to point connection between your routers. It's more of a manual setup...and that broadcast will allow your routing protocols to work within your FR network...
    Wow, I did frame-relay in the cloud, using packet tracer... and didn't really understand the cloud. mapping was created via the GUI for the cloud, I didn't really get how or when those commands get used.

So I'm a bit lost if some things apply to point-to-point configs and / or differently multi-point configs? CBT suggest there is a difference but the light bulb is not going off yet... I looked in the Odom reference and still not going off. I see references to "hub and spoke" stuff and on and on, but again the light isn't going off ....

I understand what they do, however I think to better understand it I should try to configuring it again tonight without the GUI. Then maybe a few more flash cards... icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Get some rest. You will do fine.

Good luck!!
    DPG wrote: »
    Get some rest. You will do fine.

Good luck!!

I suppose you are right ... maybe a little more DIKTA before I sleep ...

Exams at 12:15 tomorrow .... just .. a ... few mmmmore icon_study.gif minutes... with .... sleeping.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Field Monkey good luck man. I really say go for a walk before the exam. Trust me you will do fine. I am getting ready to take mine in about a month. I just want to finish reading and watch Train Signal. I been practicing on my live equipment. Frame-Relay is going to get me too as well as some of the OSPF concepts but think I finally nailed that.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    Thanks again guys!

I got my coffee on! ... shower is next then off to the exam in 3 hours...

I will not get to the the site too much earlier than an hour... once I get bored with sitting in the van looking over my notes, I will take a walk as suggested and leave my notes behind or toss them in the trash!

Trying not to do anything too heavy today, as has been suggested .... At this point... I know it or I don't! icon_neutral.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Thanks again guys!

I got my coffee on! ... shower is next then off to the exam in 3 hours...

I will not get to the the site too much earlier than an hour... once I get bored with sitting in the van looking over my notes, I will take a walk as suggested and leave my notes behind or toss them in the trash!

Trying not to do anything too heavy today, as has been suggested .... At this point... I know it or I don't! icon_neutral.gif

Holy cow dude good luck! I know how you feel, it's such a crazy time experience to be in right now. In the next 3 hours you can come back to us and either be certified...or gulp.... not...but do it your own way. Everyone has their method to prepare. Some study up to the last minute and jot down notes etc etc... some don't even touch a book on the day of the test...

I recall with me, I didn't touch anything, heck I didn't even jot down any notes before the exam, I just went ahead and took it. (but if you need to write down notes like subnetting stuff please take advantage of it!!)

Again good luck!
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck... I look forward to seeing that CCNA in your sig block after you're done!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Gl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • TrainSignalEricTrainSignalEric Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Field Monkey good luck man. I really say go for a walk before the exam. Trust me you will do fine. I am getting ready to take mine in about a month. I just want to finish reading and watch Train Signal. I been practicing on my live equipment. Frame-Relay is going to get me too as well as some of the OSPF concepts but think I finally nailed that.

Good luck on the exam, let me know how it goes
    So what is the final verdict? I am waiting to get your results. Hopefully it is a pass :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    thenjduke wrote: »
    So what is the final verdict? I am waiting to get your results. Hopefully it is a pass :)

Yeah me too. I'm actually a little nervous for the guy. LOL...
    I think he has done it :)
    Well, I regret to inform you all that I failed the ICND2 exam with a 725 (needed 825)

The multiple choice questions overall didn't really give me any problems other than one or two. I actually felt it was going well, until I tanked at the end. I am sure I left 3 questions (at least) on the board, as I got bogged down on a SIM and simlet near the end. The time really flew by, and I just left that SIM after only applying one change at 10 minutes, then I got a tough simlet (which had 5 questions to answer for the given "hairy" diagram). I started just applying answers at that point, because I noticed I was running out of time, but never made it past that question.

Interpreting the SIMs and Simlets are really my biggest weakness and I think I am just too slow at it. I am sure this means I need more lab time and probably real lab over Packet Tracer. I am also pretty sure it (my tanking at the end) contributed to bringing the score much lower. It's just once the diagram(s) pop up I try to read the question and then view the diagram information, but it generally takes me upward of 6 minutes get a good grip on the scenario which includes trying to apply the given answers?
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications 60%
    • Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a medium... 55%
    • Configure and troubleshoot basic operation and routing on Cisco devices 53%
    • Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch 66%
    • Implement and verify WAN links 83%
    I do plan on retaking the test again, maybe in a month or so. I feel I can definitely past it, if I can only pick up some speed reading and working within the SIMs. It also doesn't help that I am a naturally slow reader, so the longer the question is the longer it takes me to fully digest it, especially if I need to read it twice, as I had to do on some.

It seemed to me that there were several questions that were much longer and complex than I thought they would be. Overall the test was a pretty difficult test. Tougher than I have heard on here in my opinion. If you are working with this gear in / out daily I can see it being a bit easier, but if you are not, don't take this test lightly at all.

Also I have not ruled out taking it again on 5/5 as I can get a cheap voucher~ and that is the first day I'd be eligible to retake!

Thanks for the support! icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Well, I regret to inform you all that I failed the ICND2 exam with a 725 (needed 825)

Also I have not ruled out taking it again on 5/5 as I can get a cheap voucher~ and that is the first day I'd be eligible to retake!

Thanks for the support! icon_study.gif

Sorry to hear that my friend. I really thought you had it in the bag, you've been here everyday asking all sorts of questions. I can tell you that I've never ever been a good test taker my whole life. Well, except for spelling, for some reason I have a knack for it.

But any questions that leaves room for interpretation and I'm dead in the water. The SIMS do seem to get a lot of people, but that's exactly what Cisco was getting at, I mean, who would want the certifications to be all multiple choice right?

I'll tell you one thing, I was literally stuck on one SIM for about 15 minutes no joke. I just could not figure it out based on the info they gave me. Then right before I was literally going to just click passed it, I read over the instructions again...

I realized I had a blonde moment, I hadn't scrolled all the way down and read more info!! They were indeed providing the info I was looking for! DUH!! But I was so quick get to the actual lab part I looked over it...

Anyways, just keep it at, you'll get it next time....