Audio books

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
Anyone had experience using audio books to help cram info for exams? Not playing the audio while you sleep lol but simply playing it in your office while studying or maybe even a car ride.

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes. I have the Sec+ audio from Preplogic, and on the days I drive I listen to it. Otherwise I listen to it on the Ipod before bed. I usually fall asleep listening to it.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Yes. I have the Sec+ audio from Preplogic, and on the days I drive I listen to it. Otherwise I listen to it on the Ipod before bed. I usually fall asleep listening to it.

Cool..Does it help?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had bought the Preplogic CISSP mp3 set off their site last year, the guy talked too fast. I listened to it on my commute and I guess it did help me a bit because I got to the point where I could finish his sentences.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I had bought the Preplogic CISSP mp3 set off their site last year, the guy talked too fast. I listened to it on my commute and I guess it did help me a bit because I got to the point where I could finish his sentences.

Thanks!

You live in MI huh? I live in East Lansing, that good weather is starting. I studied for CISSP but they later changed the requirements to having someone who is CISSP endorse the candidate and I didn't know anyone. How did you go about getting the endorsement?
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »

LOL I'd have to load that up in Audacity and slow him down a bit. :)
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    I have the CCNA audio from Preplogic. I think it holds a decent understanding, but not for studying. I would use it this way:

1. Study the material
    2. Practice labs
    3. Listen to audio in the car/at work the next morning for a refresher.

Trying to listen to an audio series while driving to learn the material doesn't work good IMO... Memories are stored through encoding, when your driving you have other things on your mind that don't allow for proper encoding of the information, causing encoding failures (think corrupt hard drive sectors icon_wink.gif). But if you learn the material through "over-learning" (rinse, repeat) then audio will just harden those already formed memories in your brain.
    CCNP :study:
  • gpitts85gpitts85 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What do the audio books usually run
    G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

Philippians 4:13:
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gpitts85 wrote: »
    What do the audio books usually run

It varies. AudioWhiz sells their A+ CD's for $51.95, and Todd Lammle sells his CCNA CD's for $199.95.

And I agree, listening to the audio in the car is a great review, though I don't think you can really give it the concentration required to learn new topics. I spend at least an hour a day in the car, so why not do something productive with that time?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    garv221 wrote: »
    Thanks!

You live in MI huh? I live in East Lansing, that good weather is starting. I studied for CISSP but they later changed the requirements to having someone who is CISSP endorse the candidate and I didn't know anyone. How did you go about getting the endorsement?

I was working in a Security Operations Center so a few of my coworkers already had the cert. They endorsed a few of us who took it at the same time and we did the same for a couple of others.