Creator Owner group

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
I was doing a transcender last night, and I got a question wrong because apparently you cannot add the creator owner group to a share permission. I had never heard of this, and tested it on my vm and sure enough it wasn't found.

However, I just tried it on this computer (part of a domain) and I was able to. So obviously it is possible, but why is it sometimes and not others??

Thanks
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unsure why you couldnt add the Creator Owner group, it could be because when a member of the Administrators group creates the object, the Administrators group is listed as the owner.

I think the answer in Transcender could have been better put as "You can add the Creator Owner group but you shouldnt". In the Share permission, only the Everyone group should be listed with Change permissions. You should then use NTFS permissions to lock access down.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Unsure why you couldnt add the Creator Owner group, it could be because when a member of the Administrators group creates the object, the Administrators group is listed as the owner.

I think the answer in Transcender could have been better put as "You can add the Creator Owner group but you shouldnt". In the Share permission, only the Everyone group should be listed with Change permissions. You should then use NTFS permissions to lock access down.

Nope, on the first computer I tried it. On a folder I typed creator and then clicked check names and it completed it. Tried the same on the share and it found nothing.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I spoke with a teacher of mine about this, and he isn't sure off the top of his head. We tested this on his laptop and he also was unable to add this group to the share permissions. His computer was a member of a domain. He suggested that maybe my company thought their should be a group called creator / owner and created it since windows doesn't. This could be right, it could be wrong. But for the test tomorrow I am going to trust Transcender and the majority of my testing and going to assume that you can not add the creator/owner group to a share permission.