ccna jobs without experience?

isaboxisabox Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
I have searched online, but could not find good information on that.

So, I am a CCNA. Besides I have also got A+ and some linux certs. I also have a university degree. For the last couple of months I have been actively looking for an entry-level job. However, I think I am really unlucky, that I got no calls. I worked really hard, specially I did a lot of troubleshooting for the ccna exam, then got my cert. For the ccna I bought real routers and switches. I put all the burden on my credit cards. But now I feel really bad for that.

I applied for a lot of jobs(help desk, NOC)
Response:---- no calls
I also contacted some job agencies,
Response:----
From one of the agencies the guy gave me some good advice. He said that with these certs, and degrees and no experience. I would get no job. So, Its better for me to go and look for some volunteer work, some mentoring.

But how do I get these volunteer experience or mentoring. Should I send my resumes to different organizations(ISPs ......), and ask if they need some volunteers.

Or

1. Try to get some more certs(CCNP).
I do not think without experience, it will bring good fortune for me.

2. Try to look for some jobs that does not even relate(don't like these) my field.

I searched online, some volunteer IT job here in Toronto, but found nothing. So, I hope some one can give me some hints or links.

Thanks for reading my very long post.

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Forget getting any more certs, it's experience and contacts you need. Do you know anyone in the IT field who you can shadow for a few weeks? What about a friend of a friend? Ask around and see if anyone can get you some work experience in a company. And when you get there, be the sort of person that the company would want working for them, ie., shows initiative, good attitude, punctual, etc. This has led me to a job twice in my career.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First thing I like to let you know. Instead of relying on links and newpapers I suggest going to the source how many people find jobs. Network yourself out. Tell your friends, co-workers, church, friends of friends, and just anyone else you talk to that you are looking to get in the IT field. This is how you get 8 out of 10 jobs in this day of age.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Is there any teacher from school that you can contact and ask for help?? Did your University have a program for students to work at school? If so, maybe you could take a few classes and try to find something IT related at school. Its tough to get an IT job through the program that I'm talking about at my school.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Forget getting any more certs

Over all... bad advice... telling someone to stop educating themselves doesn't help them..

That said, CCNP might not be the best step if you lack experience. Given the diversity in Admin positions, it might benefit you to try to get an MCITP.

IMO keep getting certs, keep practicing on your home lab so you are "spot-on" when a good interview presents itself. Keep your head up, you'll get there. Might be something low level to start but it can happen. Keep a positive attitude during interviews, you have to make them feel that you are confident, as well as being confident and competent.
    CCNP :study:
  • isaboxisabox Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I saw on a forum, that someone suggested to send my resumes to some ISPs for volunteer position.
    Do u guys think, it would work?

If so, how should I ask for that?
    send resumes and a cover letter? or is there any other way....?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    isabox wrote: »
    I saw on a forum, that someone suggested to send my resumes to some ISPs for volunteer position.
    Did you already send them a resume and cover letter about a paid position?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Did you already send them a resume and cover letter about a paid position?

I have applied for a lot of jobs over last couple of months. Some of their were those ISPs too. But I did not get any call. That is why I feel so bad.

If it was like " I got to the interview, but was not good enough for the job. I would know, why I am not getting any job.". But I got no call.

Any suggestion?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have applied for a lot of jobs over last couple of months. Some of their were those ISPs too. But I did not get any call. That is why I feel so bad.

If it was like " I got to the interview, but was not good enough for the job. I would know, why I am not getting any job.". But I got no call.

Any suggestion?

How does your resume itself look? Have you invested much time and effort into making yours stand out amongst other equally qualified candidates?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This is why it is important to try and work through school.

Anyway, you may have to dig deep and get a part time entry level job somewhere, and another job that you can do, not exactly like, to pay the bills. Play your cards right, and that part time job could evolve into a full time one.

Though, it may be hard to accept that given that you have a degree and everything. Hopefully someone else has a better idea.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First of all the job market sucks (at least in the US) -- so there's nothing to feel bad about.

If you're not getting call, then it could be your resume. Does your University have a "resume service" (or just a resume writing seminar)? It may be worth having them look at it -- or find your own professional resume writer. Or you could "sanitize it" and post it here for comments.

Hopefully you made lots of friends at the University -- have you been keeping in contact with them? Any of them have jobs yet? Any of them have any openings where they work and would any of them be willing to work with you (and recommend you for a job)?

Have you applied at ALL the temp agencies or staffing agencies in your area? If there are multiple offices for one temp/staffing agency in areas you'd consider working -- did you call the other office branches to as ask about openings (and verify that the recruiters aren't hording job since they may be competing against each other for commissions and fighting to keep their own job).

Have you checked out the "top employers" list for your City/Township/County/Province/State/Region/Country and worked down that list (looking for local offices)? Have you check out the "best employers" lists....

Have you identified the "tech centers" in your area -- and identified the companies in those locations that either need IT Services (and have staff in house) or provide IT Services.

I think more people still work for small businesses (at least in the US) than work for the Mega Global Corporations -- so you have to hunt those small businesses down. Have you worked your way through the "yellow pages" (business phone book) yet? Have you found all the local Industrial Parks and Technology Parks and researched the companies there (and checked out their web sites and posted jobs) -- and dropped off a resume and cover letter tailored (to the best of your knowledge) to what they may be looking for in future employees?

And since this in the the CCNA Forum (and you're asking about the CCNA) -- did you check out the Cisco web site and look up the local Cisco Business Partners? You may have to do multiple searches to track down all the Business Partners with offices close to you -- and one of them may need someone to drive a delivery truck (and maybe rack 'n stack the deliveries at the customer sites).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    First of all the job market sucks (at least in the US) -- so there's nothing to feel bad about.

If you're not getting call, then it could be your resume. Does your University have a "resume service" (or just a resume writing seminar)? It may be worth having them look at it -- or find your own professional resume writer. Or you could "sanitize it" and post it here for comments.

Hopefully you made lots of friends at the University -- have you been keeping in contact with them? Any of them have jobs yet? Any of them have any openings where they work and would any of them be willing to work with you (and recommend you for a job)?

Have you applied at ALL the temp agencies or staffing agencies in your area? If there are multiple offices for one temp/staffing agency in areas you'd consider working -- did you call the other office branches to as ask about openings (and verify that the recruiters aren't hording job since they may be competing against each other for commissions and fighting to keep their own job).

Have you checked out the "top employers" list for your City/Township/County/Province/State/Region/Country and worked down that list (looking for local offices)? Have you check out the "best employers" lists....

Have you identified the "tech centers" in your area -- and identified the companies in those locations that either need IT Services (and have staff in house) or provide IT Services.

I think more people still work for small businesses (at least in the US) than work for the Mega Global Corporations -- so you have to hunt those small businesses down. Have you worked your way through the "yellow pages" (business phone book) yet? Have you found all the local Industrial Parks and Technology Parks and researched the companies there (and checked out their web sites and posted jobs) -- and dropped off a resume and cover letter tailored (to the best of your knowledge) to what they may be looking for in future employees?

And since this in the the CCNA Forum (and you're asking about the CCNA) -- did you check out the Cisco web site and look up the local Cisco Business Partners? You may have to do multiple searches to track down all the Business Partners with offices close to you -- and one of them may need someone to drive a delivery truck (and maybe rack 'n stack the deliveries at the customer sites).

Wow, That's a really good one. I have done some of them. But now I am going for the rest.

Thanks a lot for all these.
  • MeastMeast Banned Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Internship or Military would be your best option!