Options

IOS UPGRADE for cayayst 3750G ST

han.nethan.net Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Dear Friends ,

I have 2 Layer 3 switches catalyst 3750 , have ipbase IOS on them and neede to upgrade them to the latest image .

I ve chosen IPservices mzK9 image to use , and I have few queries please :
1-Do you think that I made a good choice on IPservices type as it support more fetures ?

2-When I copy the IOS from TFTP to the switch, it stops in the midle showing Error reading from source ( TFTP server ), I belieive its because of lack of space on the Flash .Right ?

3-Current IOS is in flash , and its in a directory within the flash ( Flash:/ipsbase.......SE/ipbase......SE.bin

4-How can I delete that IOS to clear some space as I was not sure if erasing the Flash would be a good idea .

5- I heard that I need to reorgnize the Partition Table or somthing smilar , is that right , why and how .

6- Please advise on the rest of steps .

Many thanks

Hani

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    To be safe, copy your current IOS to your TFTP server. That way you have backup if the new one is faulty.

You have to first check how much flash space you have, even if you delete the current IOS, the new one might be too big anyways.

If the new one isn't big, then delete the current one and load up the new one. Before you reboot, issue the "verify" command to make sure the IOS is good to go...
  • Options
    To be safe, copy your current IOS to your TFTP server. That way you have backup if the new one is faulty.

You have to first check how much flash space you have, even if you delete the current IOS, the new one might be too big anyways.

If the new one isn't big, then delete the current one and load up the new one. Before you reboot, issue the "verify" command to make sure the IOS is good to go...

I Have done all that , but dont know what command to use exactly as cpot tftp flash did no work , please read my post in details

Thanks
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    3750's use the archive command to upgrade IOS.

archive download-sw /leave-old-sw tftp://11.11.11.11/
    c3750-i5-tar.122-20.SE.tar

If there isn't enough space on the device for 2 images, you can do /overwrite instead. If you have 2 identical 3750 switches you can stack them (you need a stack cable) and upgrade them simultaneously.

Check out this white paper:

Catalyst 3750 Software Upgrade in a Stack Configuration with Use of the Command-Line Interface - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    That was very kind , thanks , very useful , but what is bin and tar exentions?

Many thanks

Hani
  • Options
    han.net wrote: »
    That was very kind , thanks , very useful , but what is bin and tar exentions?

Many thanks

Hani

A bin is archived in the tar I believe. The archive command automatically unpacks the tar when installing the image.
  • Options
    Need help please , I did a mistake , basically flash was erased as i used the command for archives but with bin one , what can i do to solve it please .

thanks
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    basically flash was erased as i used the command for archives but with bin one , what can i do to solve it please
    If you haven't rebooted, try the archive command with the tar file.

If you rebooted and have the switch: prompt -- then you need to XMODEM the BIN file over

Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image - Cisco Systems
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks , I rebooted , I am using Vista so no hyperterminal supporting XMODEM , wher can find altenative please ?

the Bin file still there , within flash within a directory , how can delete that first ?

Regards
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have a valid IOS image in flash, try to boot it from the switch: prompt

flash_init
    load_helper

boot
    or
    boot flash:IOS_NAME_HERE.bin
    or
    boot flash:/SUBDIRECTORY_NAME/IOS_NAME_HERE.bin

If that IOS bin file is the wrong size (or empty), you can download PuTTY -- it should let you XMODEM if you have to.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    ... I am using Vista so no hyperterminal supporting XMODEM , wher can find altenative please ?

Google for software called "Putty" which is a very good terminal emulator and it's free.
    Kam.
  • Options
    ZblaJhaNiZblaJhaNi Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Stotic wrote: »
    3750's use the archive command to upgrade IOS.

archive download-sw /leave-old-sw tftp://11.11.11.11/
    c3750-i5-tar.122-20.SE.tar

If there isn't enough space on the device for 2 images, you can do /overwrite instead. If you have 2 identical 3750 switches you can stack them (you need a stack cable) and upgrade them simultaneously.

Check out this white paper:

Catalyst 3750 Software Upgrade in a Stack Configuration with Use of the Command-Line Interface - Cisco Systems

Great link, thanks ;)
    ...to the stars through difficulties...
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If that IOS bin file is the wrong size (or empty), you can download PuTTY -- it should let you XMODEM if you have to.

Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible) PuTTY does not support XMODEM transfers. If it in fact does, I would really appreciate it if someone could show me how.
  • Options
    I don't believe putty does xmodem. Get your hands on an xp box.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks , I rebooted , I am using Vista so no hyperterminal supporting XMODEM , wher can find altenative please ?

the Bin file still there , within flash within a directory , how can delete that first ?

Regards

TeraTerm

Tera Term Open Source Project
  • Options
    Hi Friends ,

Thats right , Putty does not support Xmodem at all as I had had it before I submitted my query and tried it .

I installed Hyper Terminal private Edition from :http://softwaredownloadmirror.com/freeware/hyperterminal-private-edition-5.0/100635925/

Regards