Question on VLANS?

flipmadflipmad Member Posts: 184
If I were to perform a interface vlan shutdown would this vlan no longer work for the ports I have assigned to it??

Comments

• ZblaJhaNiZblaJhaNi Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blake15 wrote: »
    If I were to perform a interface vlan shutdown would this vlan no longer work for the ports I have assigned to it??

Hi,

In my opinion, the vlan still remains operational.
    But if you shutdown the vlan interface - which is default gateway for this VLAN, and you dont have HSRP (or any other first hop redundancy protocol configured), the communication will be possible just within that vlan.
    ...to the stars through difficulties...
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The vlan and the vlan interface are two seperate things.

and the vlan interface is just a virtual port that is in the vlan

so shutting down the vlan interface is no different to issuing a

#shut

command on a physical port on a switch that has been assigned to a vlan.

Like Zbla said, if you are using the vlan inerface to route between vlans then this routing will stop, but the VLAN its self will carry on working fine and any ports assigned to it will carry on comunicating with each other
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • flipmadflipmad Member Posts: 184
    Thanks guys. And DevilWAH congrats on your upcoming fatherhood
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blake15 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. And DevilWAH congrats on your upcoming fatherhood

Cheers :) due two weeks on monday :)

not sure how i will cope with out being able to study for a few months... LOL
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Not to mention no sleep. I've been there twice.

Congratulation!!! And get all the sleep you can in the next two weeks.sleeping.gif