Question about logmein

WilliamNormanWilliamNorman Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, This might be a stupid question but i am trying to find out how to gain access to all my computers like logmein does but without the fee. Is it possible to set up a system with servers, routers and so on that could replicate what logmein does.

Thanks
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science - University Of Houston (Downtown)

Comments

• ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    An old practice of mine, depending on how many computers and who uses them (mine was always mine to use and up to about 5 or so), but I have used Hamachi for VPN (same company that does LogMeIn) and just a vnc server/client like RealVNC or Tight VNC.

I haven't used this other than personal use, so if you plan on involving users or what not, you may want to fiddle with it first.
  • WilliamNormanWilliamNorman Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK, I will look in to that and see what i can come up with. Would this setup let me do remote desktop like logmein and if so how much of a delay would it have.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LogMeIn im guessing encapsulates all its traffic through port 80 (http). Depending if you need to do this or not (ie if you are behind a corporate firewall that won't allow traffic to port 3389 to external ip's) then I would setup port forwarding on your router to a pc of your choice and use RDP to connect to it. This is what I have done, I can't connect from my workplace due to firewalls but I can from most public internet places or friends houses etc.

I guess it depends what you want to use it for and where you want to use it.

EDIT:- maybe I have misunderstood. If this is for use in the workplace, +1 for VNC
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    if you dont want to transfer files between teh host and client system,is the free version of logmein not suitable?

If not +1 for VNC
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    You could throw up a Windows Home Server (WHS) and it gives you a connection to your primart machine and from there you can connect to all machines in your network. If you have a TechNet subscription like me you can download it. I just use RDP myself and godaddy for a FQDN myself. Costs me $9.99 for a year then I RDP to my primary machine and from there can get to any other machine on my network.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

Thanks for the replies. Logmein currently lets me connect to 5 different computers and transfer data around and remote desktop when ever i want. Not sure if the free version would let me do this. Just to let you know i have no complaints with logmein it is a wonderful program. I am using computers at my business and my house for this network. Other than to try and save money i want to set this up because i want to learn about how it would work and see if i could set it up or not. I know nothing about port forwarding or how it works. Where would a newb like me learn about this stuff and and how to set up a nice personal (secure) network.

Thanks
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    Depends on what type of router you have but here are a few links that might help you out.

Linksys port fowarding is a snap
    Port Forwarding Remote Desktop on the Linksys WRT54G

RDP port change | RDP port forwarding for Remote Desktop Connection | Ready2Beat

Port Forwarding How to

If you have Windows 7

Allow Remote Desktop connections from outside your home network

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

Thanks for the info, I do have windows 7 and i also had an account with dreamsprark with MS so i was able to download a comy ow windows server 2008. Not sure how the program works but i was hoping i could use that as the so called jub of the network. Is it possible to use it the same as WHS or does it have more or better features
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Check out teamviewer: TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet it allows for data transfer of files rdp and works over port 80 so there is no need for firewall config. I use it all the time. It is free for personal use.
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out teamviewer: TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet it allows for data transfer of files rdp and works over port 80 so there is no need for firewall config. I use it all the time. It is free for personal use.

I had it working from XP to my Ubuntu server at home for awhile but it was way too slow.