Are there still only 20k CCIE's? They've been saying that for a while now.

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Who knows, it's probably around 20,000'ish.....

Based on what I've been reading and these difficult OEQ's, it seems harder to obtain the CCIE now.
    Also keep in mind, even though people are passing CCNA's practically once a week here, the CCIE isn't cakewalk.

And just do the math....if someone comes here to post they past the CCNA and that happens almost once or twice a week. Can you just imagine how many people are passing the CCNA that aren't coming here and posting it?
    There are probably so many new CCNA's a day!!!

If I had to even guess how many people are passing the CCIE per month, I'd say somewhere around 10 - 20 globally!!!?

Is that too small a figure? Anyone else care to guess?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cisco says 20881 as of 3/5/2010 and I can't imagine there's any other source for that number. Though if you look here the number is actually dwindling.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it kind of depends... I know a couple of guys that are CCIE but I don't think they've actually renewed their cert. So are they still considered a CCIE? If that's the case, I'm sure the number is probably higher than 20881. But if you take into account the amount of CCIEs that do not renew their certification, the number would be lower in my guess.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The active number is somewhere around 21000, but the numbers themselves are creeping up towards 30k, as folks let their numbers expire (you also have to remember that CCIE #'s didn't start with #1. The first number was #1024, and was assigned to the lab itself)
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    abefroman wrote: »

Well here is the officail number direct from cisco

CCIEs Worldwide - CCIE RESOURCES - Cisco Systems

Good and intresting link!

Kev
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
    Hmmm just like anything else, I would assume that if you let your CCIE expire, you're no longer considered a CCIE, at least technically....

I hope the official #'s aren't using invalid certs....
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hmmm just like anything else, I would assume that if you let your CCIE expire, you're no longer considered a CCIE, at least technically....

I would hope the same. I wouldn't consider myself a CCNA if I didn't renew it, this would be even more true for a CCIE. All they have to do is re-take the written. You are an IE working actively in the field, it shouldn't be to hard.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    I would hope the same. I wouldn't consider myself a CCNA if I didn't renew it, this would be even more true for a CCIE. All they have to do is re-take the written. You are an IE working actively in the field, it shouldn't be to hard.

Right and especially if you're using your cert to get discounts at a cisco partner, that cert would no longer work if it became invalid.

I've only met one CCIE in my life and he really knew his stuff, but he seemed more like a book worm because he was never really hands on. Or maybe he was just self righteous about the whole thing....
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

Yep, it expires. You are only required to complete the written exam every 3 years, no lab required.
    CCNP :study:
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    Yep, it expires. You are only required to complete the written exam every 3 years, no lab required.

Every 2 years.

You can let 2 years go by and Cisco will suspend your CCIE. You then have one year to re-certify.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

For the CCIE its every 2 years.

Recertification - CCIE - Cisco Systems
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are only required to complete the written exam every 3 years, no lab required.
    Every 2 years.

Recertification - CCIE - Cisco Systems

If you're out making money for your company and can't get to a Vue Test Center to take a CCIE Written exam by that 2 year deadline your CCIE gets suspended for one year (where you can still take the CCIE Written exam to re-certify your CCIE). After that, you lose the Certification and would have to re-qualify for the Lab exam and Pass again to regain active status for that track.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    ahh my mistake ;)
    CCNP :study: