CISSP going to Pearson VUE???

hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
Ok, I'd like some opinions on this. What do you guys/girls think will happen to the integrity of the ISC2 exams once they start to be tested at Pearson VUE centers? People will brain **** them fast. Will they still be considered elite certs? Will companies still pay high dollar for CISSP certified people? Or will the value be degraded and left in the dust like Security+ and other lower level security certs?

Pearson VUE and (ISC)2® Sign Exclusive Contract to Deliver Computer-Based Information Security Exams Worldwide

Comments

• Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    I hate it and think it's a terrible idea. The Consortium believes they can do it and maintain their standards. I guess time will tell.

Mr. Ye
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Only the CSSLP has gone to computer based testing...

(ISC)² Security Transcends Technology

It will be sometime before the CISSP becomes a computer based test.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cbigbrick wrote: »
    It will be sometime before the CISSP becomes a computer based test.
    Looks like <3 years, and I would guess CISSP would be #1 on my list if I was them (due to the amount of effort to manually administer/grade them.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would like to see them offer computer based testing for extenuating circumstances - for example, I live in the Marshall Islands (halfway between HI and AUS) and the closest place I could test would be Hawaii... 2500 miles each way, and a $1300 roundtrip plane ticket. I wound up testing in Atlanta this past December, in conjunction with a review class, and I spent over 2K on flights alone. I realize that 99% of people don't have this problem, but they should have a process to get a waiver that is individually reviewed for exceptional circumstances, it would have helped me out, for sure.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    Ok, I'd like some opinions on this. What do you guys/girls think will happen to the integrity of the ISC2 exams once they start to be tested at Pearson VUE centers? People will brain **** them fast. Will they still be considered elite certs? Will companies still pay high dollar for CISSP certified people? Or will the value be degraded and left in the dust like Security+ and other lower level security certs?

Pearson VUE and (ISC)2® Sign Exclusive Contract to Deliver Computer-Based Information Security Exams Worldwide

How exactly would they brain **** these fast? I believe the CISSP isn't the ISC2 exam to be given online. You would more than likely have to go to a testing center which is in a controlled environment. You would probably get results back a lot quicker, if not instantly.

ISC2 has done an excellent job against brain **** thus far by retiring their questions rather quickly (from what I've been told).

I think this would end up becoming a cost saving measure for a lot of people who end up having to travel some distance to take these exams. Just my 2 cents.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    +1 the above, it would have saved me a wad of cash. Nothing wrong with letting a handful of people take it online... as long as it is the exception, the possibility of compromise would be ultra-low.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    cabrillo24 wrote: »
    How exactly would they brain **** these fast? I believe the CISSP isn't the ISC2 exam to be given online. You would more than likely have to go to a testing center which is in a controlled environment. You would probably get results back a lot quicker, if not instantly.

ISC2 has done an excellent job against brain **** thus far by retiring their questions rather quickly (from what I've been told).

I think this would end up becoming a cost saving measure for a lot of people who end up having to travel some distance to take these exams. Just my 2 cents.

I know a **** site admin and he says they get a lot of **** questions from someone that works at the vendor. It's a faster way to update them compared to other methods of capturing questions and answers. So if ISC2 doesn't keep a tight lid on their stuff, the **** will be out there. That's what I hope they avoid.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Other vendor tests get passed to **** sites by over seas test sites in places like India. I was reading how in some countries the test site would have a trainer sit next to you and point out the correct answer for some extra money.

I think the test pool for the CISSP is so large it would be nuts to try an memorize that much
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The pool of questions is definitely in the thousands. I've heard some people say it breaks 10k. You're going to have a much easier time simply learning the material than trying to memorize that much.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    dynamik wrote: »
    The pool of questions is definitely in the thousands. I've heard some people say it breaks 10k. You're going to have a much easier time simply learning the material than trying to memorize that much.

Just for the record, this thread was about the integrity of the CISSP exam, NOT me or anyone else trying to use **** to pass it. We all know **** will not work on this exam. I'll be attending a Clement boot camp in Kuwait or Dubai soon.
  • jeman022004jeman022004 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it will be good because the exams can be taken at the test taker's convenience and they won't be limited to the proctored exams scheduled in their area. I also heard that Pearson doesn't do a thorough background check on their proctors so many of them go into collusion (studying for CISSP...) with test takers to record exams and sell them to brain **** sites. If this is the case, the integrity of the exam may be affected. If each person gets 250 questions, it won't take too many attempts to get the majority of the pool.

Microsoft supposedly has some SW that attempts to detect candidates that use brain **** in exams. I took a Server 08 exam earlier this year and another person started the exam the same time I did. He was done before I finished reading the first question. I wonder if they detected him....
    "It is always better to be pissed off than pissed on..."
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If each person gets 250 questions, it won't take too many attempts to get the majority of the pool.

I would give a cert to someone who could memorize 10,000 questions... As Dynamik said, it's easier to study the material than try to **** for something like that. Besides, many certs allow you pad your resume without adding much knowledge. If you have a CISSP and get a job based on that credential then wind up stinking at your job you're going to get bounced quickly. CISSP isn't an entry level cert so a certain amount of performance is expected.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • jeman022004jeman022004 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree that it is just about impossible to memorize 10,000 questions. But it is much easier to memorize 1000 or fewer and there is a chance that a signicant amount of those will show up on an individual exam and could be enough for a passing score. I bet the failure rate will start to decrease when this goes live.

I think what helps with the CISSP is the experience requirement. It helps to ensure candidates have the experience to backup the certification.
    "It is always better to be pissed off than pissed on..."