Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Now about my experience so far. I have an AS degree in Networking Services Technology from the local community college and my certifications on the left. I was told that if you have an AA or AS degree from an accredited school, then they will automatically waive all the lower level general classes (math, english, sciences, etc.) regardless if you've actually taken them or not.

wow.. nice, I really hope they do that for mine but it is an A.A.S. in "Computer and Information Science/Networking". I never knew that an A.A.S. wasn't "valued" as much as an A.S. or A.A. I am going to post the degree I have below. If you don't care, can you tell me how it compares to yours?

Walters State Community College

General Education Requirements: 16 hours

Communication
    Composition 1 ...... 3 hours
    Intro to Speech ...... 3 hours
    Humanities/Fine Arts (any approved): 3 hours

Behavioral/Social Science
    Principles of Economics 1 ...... 4 hours
    Mathematics (any approved @ college level): 3 hours

Area of Emphasis
    : 44 hours

Account 1 ...... 3 hours
    Computers 101 ...... 3 hours
    Intro to VB.NET ...... 3 hours
    VB.NET ...... 3 hours
    Essentials of InfoSec ...... 3 hours (not there when I graduated, probably replaced a networking course)
    DB Management ...... 3 hours
    Cisco Networking Fundamentals ...... 3 hours
    Cisco Routing Protocols/Concepts ...... 3 hours
    Cisco LAN Switching and Wireless ...... 3 hours
    Cisco Accessing the WAN ...... 3 hours
    Hardware Support (A+) ...... 3 hours
    MS Windows Server ...... 3 hours
    MS Windows Network Infrastructure ...... 3 hours
    MS Windows AD ...... 3 hours

Since then, I have taken American History 1 & 2, Intro to Psyc, and Theater (lame icon_rolleyes.gif), from a university.

Thoughts? :) I emailed WGU and asked them if I could send my transcripts to see what I need before enrolling, I am thinking about doing the Straighterline courses for whatever Gen Ed I need to get them done faster.
    CCNP :study:
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I am debating to continue my studies over at Devry or go to WGU. I like WGU program and I have my MCSE and many credits from three other colleges.

How far along are you with your degree? If your almost finished it really won't be worth it.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I am debating to continue my studies over at Devry or go to WGU. I like WGU program and I have my MCSE and many credits from three other colleges.

If you have about 60 credits (what an Associate's would be), you'd want to transfer ASAP as you could save the "third year" (and maybe lots of money) with WGU. Much past that, you'd be probably too far in to make the transfer worth it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    . . .
    So based on my transcript evaluation and the program guide I downloaded off their site, it seems I only have to take 10 classes (47 credits) to obtain my BS in IT. Not bad. I'm thinking I could probably finish this in a year. Maybe a year and a half at the most.

Okay, I'm officially a little envious. :D I would have to take 12-13 classes to finish the BS in IT, myself-- and that's with transferring an AS/Liberal Arts plus MCSA/CCNA.
    --Will Rogers
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    If you have about 60 credits (what an Associate's would be), you'd want to transfer ASAP as you could save the "third year" (and maybe lots of money) with WGU. Much past that, you'd be probably too far in to make the transfer worth it.

I have about 18 credits from local college here and 18 credits from University of Phoenix and about 12 from Devry right now. I have my MCSE and almost CCNA. I am about 2 semesters in with Devry.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    Thoughts? :) I emailed WGU and asked them if I could send my transcripts to see what I need before enrolling, I am thinking about doing the Straighterline courses for whatever Gen Ed I need to get them done faster.

Go ahead and go through the admissions process but do not enroll. This will give them an account to reference. That way you can send your transcript to them, and talk to an enrollment Councillor about it.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Go ahead and go through the admissions process but do not enroll. This will give them an account to reference. That way you can send your transcript to them, and talk to an enrollment Councillor about it.

I have, I am already accepted. I was just holding off enrollment to figure this stuff out :)
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Hello everyone, brand new to the forums! I have a couple of questions that I did not see in this thread. I am looking to break into the IT field, I have some schooling from 2003-2004, but I never got certified due to running out of funds and landing a job that was in a different field. Since then I have relocated, and am at a career crossroads. I am strongly considering WGU since I am eligible for student loans again (I have some previous debt, but have been working hard and finally have them paid down some and out of default).

My question is this...does WGU mandate which courses you start off with? If my previous college coursework does not transfer in, do I have to do the general ed stuff before focusing on the IT courses? My ideal situation would be to focus on the classes that would result in my entry level certs (A+, etc.), so I could then focus on getting my foot in the door somewhere, and then filling in the general ed stuff to finish off my degree. Also, I noticed some folks seem to complete a lot of credits in their first six months...what about their second and third terms? What pace would be a reasonable expectation. I work a lot, but have a lot of down time at work where I could study a lot. Thanks for the guidance and input!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE!
    They usually mix some of your earlierIT classes in with gened classes at the beginning. After that it pretty much comes down to the mentor you have. A lot of people,myself included, got the CIW foundations and the A+ their first term along with some gened classes. Since then it's been a mixture of the 2 and now I'm in the last 2 terms with just upper level IT classes to go.
    I've done between 18-21 units per semester while working and having family resonsibilities so it's not unreasonable for someone to maintain the pace. A lot of people complete more courses their first term because the majority of those are less units per class and the classes worth more units are generally more difficult.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Thanks for the reply! My main concern is getting those early certs so I can get in the door. I don't want to wind up with a degree and certs at the end with no experience, and thus be not hire-able. I am debating between WGU and Centriq here in Kansas City. Centriq is much, much more expensive, but they claim to have great job placements for those who complete their program. WGU is so much better financially, but if I can't find a job, is it worth the savings?
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Thxlbx wrote: »
    Hello everyone, brand new to the forums! I have a couple of questions that I did not see in this thread. I am looking to break into the IT field, I have some schooling from 2003-2004, but I never got certified due to running out of funds and landing a job that was in a different field. Since then I have relocated, and am at a career crossroads. I am strongly considering WGU since I am eligible for student loans again (I have some previous debt, but have been working hard and finally have them paid down some and out of default).

My question is this...does WGU mandate which courses you start off with? If my previous college coursework does not transfer in, do I have to do the general ed stuff before focusing on the IT courses? My ideal situation would be to focus on the classes that would result in my entry level certs (A+, etc.), so I could then focus on getting my foot in the door somewhere, and then filling in the general ed stuff to finish off my degree. Also, I noticed some folks seem to complete a lot of credits in their first six months...what about their second and third terms? What pace would be a reasonable expectation. I work a lot, but have a lot of down time at work where I could study a lot. Thanks for the guidance and input!

Hey;

For finding a entry level server or desktop/helpdesk position i find that pretty easy. Helpdesk/Desktop you can easily get with just the A+, but anything more is still harder.

When jobhunting try to find something t hat gives you Desktop and Server experience if possible.

I not sure what the job market is in the united states, but here in calgary, AB Canada it is pretty descent...just waiting for oil to crack $100 and the job market will go crazy here
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Hey All! Hope to be starting at WGU August 1st. Already took the Security+ and have to retake A+ and Net+ since it has been over 5 years. I also plan to knock out the Project + as well ahead of time. Anyway back to my question. I have already completed the assessment and sent in my transcripts but for the life of me I can't get ahold of my enrollment counselor to have an idea what I am getting into. I email, call and leave messages and get nothing in return. It is putting a bad taste in my month about WGU. Anyone have similar results?
    WGU grad
    Hey All! Hope to be starting at WGU August 1st. Already took the Security+ and have to retake A+ and Net+ since it has been over 5 years. I also plan to knock out the Project + as well ahead of time. Anyway back to my question. I have already completed the assessment and sent in my transcripts but for the life of me I can't get ahold of my enrollment counselor to have an idea what I am getting into. I email, call and leave messages and get nothing in return. It is putting a bad taste in my month about WGU. Anyone have similar results?

Next time you write your enrollment counselor, copy knicoll@wgu.edu. He's the enrollment department manager. It might help.
    --Will Rogers
    Quick question I wanted to verify--can you take courses in the order you like? I ask because I want to get my Security+ and renew my A+ before this year is over before the change on January 1st that forces 3-year renewal, so I need to take those courses this year.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    Quick question I wanted to verify--can you take courses in the order you like? I ask because I want to get my Security+ and renew my A+ before this year is over before the change on January 1st that forces 3-year renewal, so I need to take those courses this year.

When you talk to your Mentor you can request specific courses to be taken first. As long as they don't have prerequisite classes that you need to complete you can take any class in any order you want.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Yeah they dont mind that much. I asked to do Project+ immediately (keep in mind i transferred in my MCITP:EA) and my mentor (a new guy) was like "wow i've never had anyone want to skip so far ahead, let me check on that!" lol
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did a thread search in TE for all WGU related content, and much to my surprise I found numerous threads with WGU at least mentioned in them. For that reason I have decided to start this thread to bring them together and also provide a dedicated thread to future WGU questions, and comments.

I hope this of use to those curious about Western Governors University, and interested in sharing your experiences at the WGU.

Yes I am willing to Refer-a-Friend (used to avoid paying the application fee,) but you need to send me a Personal Message (PM) with the information required here: Refer A Friend.

I would also like to encourage present WGU students to share your WGU Messenger nickname.Hello, all TE members
    Here is my situation I go to a career, or for Profit College. I will be obtaining my AAS degree in Information Technology in December 2010 according to my college’s Education office. I have talked to officials at WGU, and they said they won’t take my credits due to the accreditation. Furthermore, I have talked to a local university in MN, and they said they would only take 16 credits. However, the transfer rep told me that the University of Minnesota will not take any credits at all. This is kind of a bummer, but I know I will get through this. I really want to get my 4 year degree, so that I can avoid the glass ceilings that exist in the IT field. This just sounds like I would have to start all over. Here is a brief overview of my credits…
    I have a composition class that I completed at a local community college, plus a networking class-these have transferred to my current college.
    Also, I’m scheduling my 702-220 A+ exam ( currently I’m studying for this cert)and I’m going to study for and pass the Network+ and Security+ exam before the end of the year.
    I have read that Comp tia and other exams can move you degree forward, is this true?
    Also, how do the classes work? Is the certification exam your final exam for each given class?
    The official at WGU said I could get my degree in 2.5 years…Is this true?
    Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance for your help
    What’s the accreditation at WGU?
    Also, currently I use testout to help me prepare for exams, is this what WGU uses?
    I don’t want to obtain a 4 year degree at my current college, because it would cost too much to go beyond a 2 year degree.

About Western Governors University:

History of Western Governors University:

Information Technology Degrees at WGU:
    Online IT Degree | Online Information Technology Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

WGU Student Hall:
    WGU Student Hall - Index

TechExams.net Threads

Questions about WGU:

Trying to decide on WGU

Western Governors University

WGU Entrance Exam

Credit Transfer

Photo of the diploma with frame

Scanned image of the diploma

Questions about WGU's M.S. Information Security and Assurance

Western Governors University - MS Information Security and Assurance

WGU's MS:ISA has been certified by the CNSS

WGU INFOSEC Bloginars

Security Certifications related to the MS in INFOSEC

Students from TechExams.net

WGU Student Roll Call

Talk about your experiences at WGU

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/52825-student-experiences-western-governors-university-wgu.html

Hello, all TE members
    Here is my situation I go to a career, or for Profit College. I will be obtaining my AAS degree in Information Technology in December 2010 according to my college’s Education office. I have talked to officials at WGU, and they said they won’t take my credits due to the accreditation. Furthermore, I have talked to a local university in MN, and they said they would only take 16 credits. However, the transfer rep told me that the University of Minnesota will not take any credits at all. This is kind of a bummer, but I know I will get through this. I really want to get my 4 year degree, so that I can avoid the glass ceilings that exist in the IT field. This just sounds like I would have to start all over. Here is a brief overview of my credits…
    I have a composition class that I completed at a local community college, plus a networking class-these have transferred to my current college.
    Also, I’m scheduling my 702-220 A+ exam ( currently I’m studying for this cert)and I’m going to study for and pass the Network+ and Security+ exam before the end of the year.
    I have read that Comp tia and other exams can move you degree forward, is this true?
    Also, how do the classes work? Is the exam your final exam for each given class?
    My questions..

Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance for your help

Also, currently I use testout( plus sybex books, exam cram, and measureup) to help me prepare for exams, is this what WGU uses?

How much is the tution?

I don’t want to obtain a 4 year degree at my current college, because it would cost too much to go beyond a 2 year degree.( my college isn’t subsidized by the state, so the students pay full price for tution)

PLease help I feel like I'm at a dead end
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Basic BS:IT vs. Network Design and Management

I am considering changing my emphasis at the end of the semester. My primary goal is to finish this degree as fast as I can with minimal personal stress icon_tongue.gif

The only difference between the two for me would be CIW Database Design and CIW Javascript vs. MCITP:EA. I am not strong programmer, and am wondering if it really would be easier for me to do the CIW certs instead of the MCITP:EA. What do you guys think?
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Yeah they dont mind that much. I asked to do Project+ immediately (keep in mind i transferred in my MCITP:EA) and my mentor (a new guy) was like "wow i've never had anyone want to skip so far ahead, let me check on that!" lol

After I completed the required EWB and IT fundamentals classes, my mentor had no problem with me rearranging the order of everything else. I don't know if they're as lenient for people new to IT, but for those of us who have been around the block a few times, they seem to let us follow our own path.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

I am considering changing my emphasis at the end of the semester. My primary goal is to finish this degree as fast as I can with minimal personal stress icon_tongue.gif

The only difference between the two for me would be CIW Database Design and CIW Javascript vs. MCITP:EA. I am not strong programmer, and am wondering if it really would be easier for me to do the CIW certs instead of the MCITP:EA. What do you guys think?

I guess it comes down to what you plan to do with the degree and knowledge from it.

I think an IT degree that points to a focus is going to look somewhat better than one thats generic. Also, the MCITP:EA is 650$ on its own, solely for exam fees. Count books, videos, lab equipment, etc you will buy otherwise and it could come close to a semester at WGU. So if you plan to do it anyway, it might not be all that much cheaper. Plus, think of all the advanced knowledge you will gain with the EA over a couple of worthless CIW certs.

You know how I feel about "getting out as fast as possible", but I think the value of the EA should also be weighed heavily here.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009

I've had many discussions with friends regarding which track to choose and in the end the choice is yours, but with that being said:

Since you have identified that your primary goal is to finish the degree as fast as you can with minimal personal stress why not switch to the BS in IT track? When I went through WGU for my undergrad degree I chose BS NTDM for my track with the understanding that the NTDM designation would only be visible on my transcript. I uploaded a picture of my framed diploma a few months back (which you had put in your Questions about WGU section of the original post).

Bottom line, if you want to finish fast... do BS in IT. You can do the MCITP:EA out of pocket and possibly cheaper than the $2935 fee per semester (assuming you finished all 5 exams in one semester).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    I think an IT degree that points to a focus is going to look somewhat better than one thats generic. Also, the MCITP:EA is 650$ on its own, solely for exam fees. Count books, videos, lab equipment, etc you will buy otherwise and it could come close to a semester at WGU. So if you plan to do it anyway, it might not be all that much cheaper. Plus, think of all the advanced knowledge you will gain with the EA over a couple of worthless CIW certs.

You know how I feel about "getting out as fast as possible", but I think the value of the EA should also be weighed heavily here.

You made some good points, but part of my concern is that I will be rushing to complete the MCITP:EA, and may not end up learning it as well as I want to. I plan on purchasing more books, and Trainsignal to do the MCITP:EA with anyhow, so it would end up making for some very expensive semesters anyhow.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hello, all TE members
    Here is my situation I go to a career, or for Profit College. I will be obtaining my AAS degree in Information Technology in December 2010 according to my college’s Education office. I have talked to officials at WGU, and they said they won’t take my credits due to the accreditation.

Is your school accredited by any of the Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies? What is the name of your school? If they are not Accredited are they working on becoming Accredited.
    Furthermore, I have talked to a local university in MN, and they said they would only take 16 credits. However, the transfer rep told me that the University of Minnesota will not take any credits at all. This is kind of a bummer, but I know I will get through this.

You get a diploma but when you go somewhere else you will be required to take the lower level classes again if they don't transfer. Maybe they are working on accreditation and by the time you graduate they will be. If they become accredited then your 2 year degree will transfer to other colleges.
    I really want to get my 4 year degree, so that I can avoid the glass ceilings that exist in the IT field. This just sounds like I would have to start all over.

There are quite a few people here on TE that don't have degrees and are doing well.
    Here is a brief overview of my credits…
    Also, how do the classes work? Is the exam your final exam for each given class?

Yes the A+, Net+ and Sec+ will waive class requirements and shorten the time it takes to get a 4yr degree. When you start at WGU they evaluate your previous school work and Certifications and decide on what classes you need to take based on the degree program you are going for. For some of the classes there is a Cert associated, like the Comptia ones you mentioned. Once you pass the certification exam and submit the score report to WGU they will mark the class as completed. Other classes will require you to write essays or take proctored exams created by WGU for the class.

My questions..

Depends on how quickly you learn and how many classes you have to take. I finished mine in 15 months . Some people can finish in a year. Some will take 4 years. If you are unemployed (or employed with no life) and are incredibly focused you could do it in under a year. The terms are 6 months long and you can do as many classes as you can handle in those six months.

WGU Accreditation | Accredited Online University | Western Governors University Online
    Also, currently I use testout( plus sybex books, exam cram, and measureup) to help me prepare for exams, is this what WGU uses?

Every class is different in the requirements and testing procedures. Honestly, whatever works for you keep using it. Some of the classes will not use any of those that you listed and you will be stuck buying a gen-ed book and using the WGU forums for Q&A and FAQ's.
    How much is the tution?

Affordable Accredited Online University | WGU Tuition and Fees | Western Governors University
    I don’t want to obtain a 4 year degree at my current college, because it would cost too much to go beyond a 2 year degree.( my college isn’t subsidized by the state, so the students pay full price for tution)

If your college is not accredited and not working on becoming accredited then, in my opinion, it is probably not worth spending the money to finish a degree there. But that is a completely personal decision that you will need to make based on the information you have and what you are trying to achieve.
    Good luck in whatever you decide.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□

If you're looking to finish your degree soonerthen the Generic BSIT may be a good idea for you. The CIW classes you will be taking have sufficient materials provided with them and they are not, from what I've heard, that hard. I know the javascript test is less about programming and more about the history of JavaScript and knowing about different commands and special characters.
    Mostly everyone I know of is having to purchase additional study materials for studying for the MCITP:EA. After you get your degree you may be able to get your workplace to foot some of the bill for you to get these extra certs.
    I think that if the choice you're making is due to the stress that pursuing your degree puts on your family life I would probably pursue the one I could finish sooner.
    Also prior to March 1, 2010 those CIW classes were a part of the NDM emphasis. You would finish cheaper and then could take your time with the MCITP:EA. Your statement about wanting to learn the material for the 70-64x classes made sense. I'm stretching mine out between 2 terms so as to learn as much as possible. Since none of the material WGU supplies for the MCITP track, in my opinion, are sufficient or even adequate I'm laying out cash for extra study materials.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    If you're looking to finish your degree soonerthen the Generic BSIT may be a good idea for you. The CIW classes you will be taking have sufficient materials provided with them and they are not, from what I've heard, that hard. I know the javascript test is less about programming and more about the history of JavaScript and knowing about different commands and special characters.
    Mostly everyone I know of is having to purchase additional study materials for studying for the MCITP:EA. After you get your degree you may be able to get your workplace to foot some of the bill for you to get these extra certs.
    . . .Since none of the material WGU supplies for the MCITP track, in my opinion, are sufficient or even adequate I'm laying out cash for extra study materials.

+1 on this. I'll add some thoughts.
    The "generic" IT program is much more well-rounded than the NDM focus. I suspect that if an IT management person were to look up WGU, there would be a preference for the "generic" IT program over the NSDM unless the employee is really new to IT. That's mainly why I jumped for the standard IT program as opposed to the NSDM, although I could have really used the MCITP materials at the time I enrolled.
    --Will Rogers
    [QUOTE=petedude;405573The "generic" IT program is much more well-rounded than the NDM focus. I suspect that if an IT management person were to look up WGU, there would be a preference for the "generic" IT program over the NSDM unless the employee is really new to IT. That's mainly why I jumped for the standard IT program as opposed to the NSDM, although I could have really used the MCITP materials at the time I enrolled.[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely nothing valid about this statement.

First, define "well rounded". The only thing the generic IT degree has that the NDM doesnt is the CIW Database. An entry-level and never-on-a-job-listing cert that will just barely scratch the surface of DB administraiton. On the other hand, the NDM degree has 4 microsoft certs that, when compared to the CIW, are very rigorous and full of knowledge/skills that will directly translate into the real world.

It's likely that a hiring manager for IT isnt going to be new to IT. They might not be the most technical people, but they likely know some terminology but almost definitely will know what kind of job they are trying to fill. I can gurantee that they will value a MS cert leaps and bounds over a CIW cert.

If he needs to get done ASAP for monetary, family ,or other reaosons thats perfectly acceptable. I also think the generic BS will still be worth the time. However, the value of a focused degree + the MCITP:EA credential over just a generic BS should be readily apparent.
    If he needs to get done ASAP for monetary, family ,or other reasons thats perfectly acceptable. I also think the generic BS will still be worth the time. However, the value of a focused degree + the MCITP:EA credential over just a generic BS should be readily apparent.

These would be my only reasons. If I don't stick with my current program, I will blazing away at passing these classes as well as studying for 70-640, etc. on the side.
    There is absolutely nothing valid about this statement.

First, define "well rounded". The only thing the generic IT degree has that the NDM doesnt is the CIW Database. An entry-level and never-on-a-job-listing cert that will just barely scratch the surface of DB administraiton. On the other hand, the NDM degree has 4 microsoft certs that, when compared to the CIW, are very rigorous and full of knowledge/skills that will directly translate into the real world. . .

Fair enough. I may not have read over the whole program thoroughly enough to notice there's only one CIW test different.

I do have to add, though, that a degree made up of a large number of Microsoft certs may not look as good to some employers-- although the same could be said of the CIW certs as well.

In general terms, a focus DOES look better with an IT diploma. No doubt about that. I don't necessarily agree that it applies in the case of the NSDM or the Network Administration program, though. I think that's just my subjective opinion. I may be deriving that from a notion that networking roles represent a smaller portion of many business tasks than what the other focuses represent. Not to mention that there may be limits to career advancement on the networking side in some organizations.

(And I wish they'd take change the pluralized "Networks" to "Network" the way most IT folks are used to seeing it.)
    --Will Rogers
    If a hiring manager prefers a generic over a specific BS then I doubt they will take the time to see whats entailed in the cert.

If they do, they will see the same degree but one has a full MCITP suite involved.

If they don't, they will see one person with a BS + unlistable certs and someone with a BS + MCITP:EA.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You don't have to put all of your certifications on the resume you hand them, just show them the ones that are important to the job. If its a cisco gig, leave most of your desktop MCP's at home. If its a microsoft gig, leave your CCNA in your bag. You can bring it up if the ask.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.