Transcender Study Guides

LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone used the Transcender study guides? If they are anything like their exams, I would expect them to be pretty good.
Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
Currently Working On: Security+
2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Transcender study guides? If they are anything like their exams, I would expect them to be pretty good.

Only used the practice questions, and I think that they are awesome. (When used properly)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    humble2007 wrote: »
    (When used properly)

I like the Transcender practice exams but how would you define "used properly?"
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I think he means by properly reading materials like books, white papers etc and then labbing things so you have the hands on experience and breaking and fixing it so you really learn it. Then you use that knowledge to use Transcender and try to enhance your learning.

If you just do test simulations so you remember questions and scenarios and don;t really understand and have labbed to know why the answer has to be that way then you are doing yourself an injustice.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    I think he means by properly reading materials like books, white papers etc and then labbing things so you have the hands on experience and breaking and fixing it so you really learn it. Then you use that knowledge to use Transcender and try to enhance your learning.

If you just do test simulations so you remember questions and scenarios and don;t really understand and have labbed to know why the answer has to be that way then you are doing yourself an injustice.

Thanks for your reply.

I've used Transcenders for the last three of my exams but use have also used MS Press Training Kits, Exam Cram and Syngress books and also CBT Nuggets for the 291.

Valid point about labbing things up to get the practical experience.
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    humble2007 wrote: »
    Only used the practice questions, and I think that they are awesome. (When used properly)

Transcender practice questions are very good and challenging.icon_thumright.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I have used Transcenser practice tests since the NT 4.0 days, and they always seemed to match the exam questions real close. But I only use them for practice test, not to learn off of. For my 640 exams, I am using the Microsoft Press book, the Official Microsoft Curriculum book, Exam Cram, and CBT Nuggets. I also have a 2008 Server box that I am using to perform the labs in both of the MS books. I am considering ordering the Transcender Study Guide as well to see how well it is. Once I am ready, I will get the Transcender practice test to see where I stand.

I noticed if I want the 70-640, I can download the program and use it on my computer (like I always have). However, if I choose the 83-640, I only get the option for the 60-days online. I would rather have the program, but I don't think I can take the 70-640. Decisions decisions ;)
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    I noticed if I want the 70-640, I can download the program and use it on my computer (like I always have). However, if I choose the 83-640, I only get the option for the 60-days online. I would rather have the program, but I don't think I can take the 70-640. Decisions decisions ;)

I used Transcenders 83-640 exam. You actually get both when you buy the full product - online access to the exam and sims (good for 60 days) and the install file which is the standard multiple choice questions which doesnt give you access to the sims but is yours to keep.

I havent really used Transcenders study guides but i have used selftest study guides which seem to be a trimmed down version of Transcender's products. The guides arent bad (the 70-640 is half decent). The only real issue is that some of the W2K8 guides were written when W2k8 was in beta or RC and so it references some old information.

What i normally do is print the transcender exam to pdf or xps, breaking them down by exam topic, ignore the questions and read the explanations and make notes from those explanations under the relevant exam objective. For me it has been very effective. Then i do the transcender exam the day before my actual exam. I also print out the flashcards with the question and answer and they are also very helpful to hammer home key conectps