Military Future Questions and Civilian Jobs(Thanks in Advance)!

13»

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    You stay at home and keep your regular job unless you deploy and if you do its in support of the war. Its not like active duty.

So did they train you for X weeks, send you back, then they call you when they need you?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    or
    How about AND -- I got the certificate for completing the 4 Cisco Network Academy courses from the Community College I did the courses at. It's probably part of (or possible) to get the certificate as part of the AAS program.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    So did they train you for X weeks, send you back, then they call you when they need you?
    You probably attend Drill 1 weekend a month and deploy for 2 weeks of unit training once a year (if they haven't changed it since I was in the Military).

If your unit gets deployed, it may be for a year -- and they could tack on some additional training time in front of the deployment to get you guy ready (and in shape).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • GamingCrazyGamingCrazy Member Posts: 113
    knwminus wrote: »

Not to be rude, but don't you already have a thread on this icon_cool.gif
    mikej412 wrote: »
    How about AND -- I got the certificate for completing the 4 Cisco Network Academy courses from the Community College I did the courses at. It's probably part of (or possible) to get the certificate as part of the AAS program.

Well I think the a.a.s prepares you for ccna but idk, considering the army will pay for both I could do both.

Basically I would have a a.a.s in computer information systems as the degree goes?

Thanks for all the help guys!
    You probably attend Drill 1 weekend a month and deploy for 2 weeks of unit training once a year (if they haven't changed it since I was in the Military).

If your unit gets deployed, it may be for a year -- and they could tack on some additional training time in front of the deployment to get you guy ready (and in shape).

Sounds interesting. I have decided to beat these lazy bones into shape (aka the bootcamp before the bootcamp). I am putting myself on a restricted diet (starting today) and I am actually about to go out running myself. I guess there is no better time to start the couch to 5k program. As for the pushups/situps I am just going to get off my ass and start exercising. I have already printed off the weight requirements as well as the fitness requirements so now the only thing left to do is to do the damn thing.

I am going to go talk to a recruiter tomorrow morning and see whats what.
    Not to be rude, but don't you already have a thread on this icon_cool.gif

Yea but yours is cooler. This might get turned into a sticky eventually.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bellhead wrote: »
    This is what is expected in boot and while you are in training. In Navy A school while you were waiting to class up "have enough people to start" you would be assigned to usually the building or grounds supervisor somewhere on the base. You would spend about 6 hours a day doing some type of manual work at about 1/2 speed, unless you went to the galley "shudder" where you would work 16 hour days until you classed up. It happened to me I spent 32 days straight getting up at 2:30 am and working until 7:15 pm. No weekends off except once. I did get one day off when my wisdom teeth were pulled.

The biggest difference between the Army and Air force is, While I was deployed with my guard unit I saw army guys being "smoked" by a NCO. Never would happen in the Air Force or Navy they would be loosing their stripes. In the Navy you couldn't be smoked outside of boot camp and only in boot camp by your company commanders, unless you really screwed up and went to mini mo "motivational training" trust me you didn't want to go there.
    Good to see things haven't changed in the Navy since I was in..lol
    Luckily I never got stuck with Galley duty. I did spend my "work week" of boot camp as one of the staff at a mini-mo facility and those were rough for the participants.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am currently trying to get in contact with my local ANG Squadron. Anyone know how they accept jobs compared to the other branches, or is it pretty much the same? I think it may be different since it is part time work (save for deployment) and you are limited to your local area.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    I am currently trying to get in contact with my local ANG Squadron. Anyone know how they accept jobs compared to the other branches, or is it pretty much the same? I think it may be different since it is part time work (save for deployment) and you are limited to your local area.

"Hey sir, you seem to have the highest scores, perfect record, list your 3 jobs you want in preference and we will give you whichever one the air force needs the most,

Thanks!"

Not worth it, unless you have three jobs of same value imo.

Yeah I here you, I'm gonna call and confirm

Question guys: If I get my associates from their is the under the CIS (Computer Infomation Systems Degree) thus, if I wanted to switch to a major university I would have to look for a bachelors program?

THANKS! I've learned so much on here recently
    This. DEAD on. And not just in basic and AIT. The inefficiency, lack of professionalism, and the constant baby sitting is why I'm counting down the days left on my 6 year initial contract.

Back on topic, only the certs pertaining to DOD 8570.1 are available for a voucher requests. Other than that, I heard you could use your Montgomery GI Bill to pay for practically any professional certification.

Quick breakdown on DOD 8570.1: CompTIA's A+ and Network+, and (ISC)2's SSCP
    are available if you're in a "Tech Level 1" related job, Security+ and I believe the CISSP are higher levels. Do a quick search on DOD 8570.1. Some parts are garbled in military-esque jargon, so some portions are unbearable to read, but it's good information for anyone entering DOD-IT.

Does Tech Level pertain to time in service or to the job? I'd be doing 25N

Thanks!
    Does Tech Level pertain to time in service or to the job? I'd be doing 25N

Thanks!

It is in relation to job responsibilities.

Look at this:

DoD Directive 8570.1 M - Department of Defense Information System Security Systems
    Question1: What is/are the best colleges in Georgia for networking/ccna classes if anyone knows,

I'm trying to find the best college and all I can find is Gwinnett Tech (20 Minutes from my House). Link: Gwinnett Technical College

Question2: How valuable is WesternGovernorsUniversity, is it comparible to a technical college as far as the route goes? Is it credible to employers?

Thanks!
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was hesitant on Western Governors. So I went on LinkedIn and did a search and found a lot of people who had degrees from there working for major corporations with senior titles. I know that is not the best measure of a school quality but I did it to determine if anybody had heard of it and would not look down on it
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Question1: What is/are the best colleges in Georgia for networking/ccna classes if anyone knows,

I'm trying to find the best college and all I can find is Gwinnett Tech (20 Minutes from my House). Link: Gwinnett Technical College

Question2: How valuable is WesternGovernorsUniversity, is it comparible to a technical college as far as the route goes? Is it credible to employers?

Thanks!

Don't know if you have seen this thread or not, but I hope it helps a little: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu.html

I did the exact same thing that Tpatt100 did before I decided.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I was hesitant on Western Governors. So I went on LinkedIn and did a search and found a lot of people who had degrees from there working for major corporations with senior titles. I know that is not the best measure of a school quality but I did it to determine if anybody had heard of it and would not look down on it
    That's good advice, I imagine most of the professionals already in the field with a guarenteed job take online classes. Then of course in contrast people that have busy lives in general were to get education from there.

It looks like it relies a lot on independant study, and I might combine that with the certificate from Gwinett Tech CCNA.