Failed today.....

Well, after taking a 7-8 month break, I failed this last summer and have just now been able to try and prepare again. I will say that this test is MUCH better than last year's version. I hurt myself by NOT knowing PKI/CLUSTERING/CA's like the back of my hand. I had MANY, MANY sims, which I do like better than the long worded typical MS questions. Don't get me wrong, there were still a good amount of those!

My final score was 650, so at least I know where I need to work on, which is the security side of things:

My advice others is that you need to LAB,LAB,LAB the certificate/CA/Clustering/NLB topics. I don't want to get too much into what was covered, but the sims are much better and I like the new lay out.

Luckily I have a second shot, I didn't lab this like I should have, so it's my fault. I mainly wanted to see where I sat and since I have a SS I am sure that I will do a lot better once I eat, sleep, and breathe the above listed topics.

Good luck everyone, I'll update this when warranted........
-WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!

Comments

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    motogpman wrote: »
    . . .
    My advice others is that you need to LAB,LAB,LAB the certificate/CA/Clustering/NLB topics. I don't want to get too much into what was covered, but the sims are much better and I like the new lay out.
    . . .

Bummer to hear, but it gave you an idea of what to watch out for. Having that "free" practice exam is worth quite a bit all by itself. :)

I had a similar thing happen to me on the 291, and I would say the same. . . lab, lab, lab. :D
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sad to hear, but you didn't score that bad. Now you know your weak areas. As the above poster said..lab,lab,lab
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Thanks fellas. I have spent the last hour or so looking into Technet, which I found some pretty good virtual labs. I am going to post a new thread with the links, hopefully it will hope everyone out that still needs this test. Gotta love Technet, I tend to overlook it most of the time.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

Technet does help a lot, especially if you're using the MS Press books. I'm studying for the 70-640 and have probably spent more time with the technet articles than with the textbook (the textbook has a lot of errors) and have gotten a lot out of them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sorry to hear you did not pass, 293 is a difficult exam. I'm sure you'll nail it the next time.
    earweed wrote: »
    Technet does help a lot, especially if you're using the MS Press books. I'm studying for the 70-640 and have probably spent more time with the technet articles than with the textbook (the textbook has a lot of errors) and have gotten a lot out of them.

Heck, I used primarily TechNet and ExamForce when I did the 291.
    --Will Rogers
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that. As others have said though... next time you'll nail it.

I have Technet and access to lab equipment, and also have this booked for the end of the month so will be hammering the labs! Any links you could point us to would be much appreciated!

Good luck on the retake icon_thumright.gif
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your score was close, thank God for the "second chance" deal. Good luck!!
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry about the fail man, I know what you must be feeling right now. Im actually going back next week (if I can schedule it) to take it again because I know I can pass with the knowledge I know already. I think Ive studied as much as I can for this exam alone.

I have a question about the Second Shot though, lets say if I used the Second Shot deal on the two tries of this exam, could I go back and sign up AGAIN for the same exam for the Second Shot as long as I take the tests within the deal period?
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Sorry about the fail man, I know what you must be feeling right now. Im actually going back next week (if I can schedule it) to take it again because I know I can pass with the knowledge I know already. I think Ive studied as much as I can for this exam alone.

I have a question about the Second Shot though, lets say if I used the Second Shot deal on the two tries of this exam, could I go back and sign up AGAIN for the same exam for the Second Shot as long as I take the tests within the deal period?
    Don't be so pessimistic, you'll pass it this time.
    earweed wrote: »
    . . . As the above poster said..lab,lab,lab

MS' exams are becoming increasingly performance-based. Before long, you won't be able to pass ANY of them without at least firing up a VM.

I'm hearing some of the MCITP exams don't have many sims yet. . . just wait. . . about 2-3 years into a new set of exams, M$ usually revises them hardcore. I think any future round of MCITP revs will shock people who haven't done labs.
    --Will Rogers
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RomBUS wrote: »

Yes, I took 70-291 and failed it twice, signed up again and got the Second Shot deal. I passed it on my 3rd try so I did not use it.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Rom, yes you can. The retake is 5 times per test in one calendar year ( just verified with MS today) and the second shot is valid as many times within that rule for each test. June 30th is right around the corner BTW...... Hopefully they will extend it.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed: