270 question

Rich_LRich_L Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
without breaking the NDA, those of you that have taken the 290 and 270 tests. did you think it made the 270 a bit easier after taking the 290? im in the process of studying for the 270 now that i have the 290 out of the way. im planning to knock it out before the end of the month. i took the 270 about 2 years ago and failed. that was at the beginning of my college career and i was in the process of taking a XP class. i got a 601 at the time. a few buddies of mine have been telling me that since ive passed the 290 the 270 should be easier if i take it while the 290 stuff is fresh in my mind.

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can't really speak to this, as I haven't taken the exam yet. But since nobody else is responding I will share what I have learned.

Many people believe it is easier to go backwards. The reason is, is that nearly all of the material in the 290 applies to the 270. And since there are less 290 objectives, more time can be spent on things like event viewer and group policy. Then when you come back to the 270, which tests on both of those you are already far more experienced with those.

However, some take them in sequential order. Maybe we are just OCD and feel that 1 comes before 2. Or maybe its that we feel xp is easier than server because we have had more experience with it. I'm honestly not sure why I picked to do 270 first.

Also, generally I find that 291 comes last. First is probably 50-50 between 270 or 290 but 291 pretty much always comes last unless there is a significant reason to do otherwise. And I actually can't think of a good one at the moment.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im stretching the brain cells back a bit but if I remember rightly yup there was a lot of overlap. I tended to take the MCSE exams in pairs for this reason. i.e. knocked out 290 shortly after 270, took longer on 291 but then hit 293 a few weeks later.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Im stretching the brain cells back a bit but if I remember rightly yup there was a lot of overlap. I tended to take the MCSE exams in pairs for this reason. i.e. knocked out 290 shortly after 270, took longer on 291 but then hit 293 a few weeks later.

My plan has been 270, 290, 291 all in about 6-7 weeks from the first test to the last test. Its a lot of work but so far I'm doing well and think I can do it. Good to hear that it is normal to take the 270 and 290 back to back. Just confirms my worries on the 291, I'm in a college class right now that isn't an exam prep class, but it is teaching out of the MS press book so I'm hoping that knocks it down a few knotches. Plus CBT nuggets and a couple other books.
  • jcuonzejcuonze Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so starting at 270 should make things a breeze then for 290-291 right?

Completed:
    A+, Network+, MCP
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From what I hear not really a breeze.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    jcuonze wrote: »
    so starting at 270 should make things a breeze then for 290-291 right?

Negative. 290, somewhat. Probably about 25% of it is going to be review. Except they are going to go into a little more detail. 291, not really.