college degrees in the I.T. field

2»

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In progress, but I am trying to balance my certifications, experience, and degree. By the time i get my degree i should have 5 years related experience and a slew of certs. Hopefully it will work out for me.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No degree here.. just working on certs, and applying for jobs that I fit requirements for. Alot of them say degree required, but I have found, that if you can sell yourself, the degree thing is often overlooked. I know ALOT of people in the IT field without a degree, some without ANY certs, and know VERY FEW with degrees. Seems this field is not really a degree type field, although employers might make you think otherwise.
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I spent the first 10 years gaining experience and certs. Not really sure what I wanted to do in the end or where I wanted to specialize. I finished my degree a month ago. I know it has gotten me through a few HR filters and have had some interviews. Haven't found an opportunity worth making the change yet.

As far as the relevance of what field of study the degree is in. My co-worker does just fine with a criminal justice degree in an IT job. I think they are looking for somebody with a 4 year degree. Some companies, like Intel, require a 4 year degree to be considered for a position.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    comp sci. lots of good points here. i would add to others who say get it if you can. if not, its not the end of the world.

for some of the cleared work, i do see a lot of degree required, though "more" required is to already be cleared.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a BA in Economics. I don't think the field matters as much as the fact that you have a degree. I got it from a school with local prestige and finished in 4 years which seems to be a big deal to the people I've interviewed with. The degree was the reason I got my current full time job, they saw it as a sign that I could set goals and complete them on time.

It doesn't help me in the day to day happenings at work and I don't think I'll be running econometrics on any of our log data but it's nice to know the accounting department's lingo and it gives me something to chat with the VP about since he went to the same school and got the same degree.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm shocked by so many here who are discounting the importance of a degree. Sure, you don't have to have a degree to work in IT, but it is important especially if you want to move forward in your career where a degree may be required. Experience does trump all over everything else and those who were able to get the experience before the positions stressed more importance on education were lucky to get the job in the first place to build their experience.

If you ask me whether a degree or certification is more important I would say that the degree is. I'm not saying that certs are bad or not important, I just see putting the 4 years required for a bachelors and following through to achieve that degree as something more difficult.
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hex_omega wrote: »
    In progredd.

That sums up my GPA: D

icon_wink.gif
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    Got an MS in Telecommunications from SMU Thanks to AT&T/Lucent icon_study.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • TheSweetnessTheSweetness Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    In progress, but I am trying to balance my certifications, experience, and degree. By the time i get my degree i should have 5 years related experience and a slew of certs. Hopefully it will work out for me.

I strongly agree, at least for myself, that a balance between education, experience, and certifications are what I need to meet career goals.

Some of those I work with are fine with "status quo". Grabbed their AA's, or less, an MCSE, or less, and don't have the slightest desire to move into management. Seems crazy to me, but that's what they're happy with.

Currently have an MS in IS, and don't use much of the formal education as a systems administrator. At the same time, it is probably the reason I got the job (minimal previous experience).

I'm hoping as others have mentioned, that getting the EDU out of the way early will pay off in the end.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am starting my Masters next month. At this point the jobs I get called for don't care for a lot of certs since there are not a lot of security certs out there.

Right now I read some certification books because they are easy to learn from. I read them for work but don't take the test. Besides the CISA cert I might only take a Microsoft test this summer.

I think experience and certs help if your a pure technical IT worker. The business classes I took are helping me with project planning now
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I am starting my Masters next month. At this point the jobs I get called for don't care for a lot of certs since there are not a lot of security certs out there.

Right now I read some certification books because they are easy to learn from. I read them for work but don't take the test. Besides the CISA cert I might only take a Microsoft test this summer.

I think experience and certs help if your a pure technical IT worker. The business classes I took are helping me with project planning now

Why not just take the test? It's a great way to sum up your learning experience and it is self gratifying to know what you were supposed to learn. Plus its something to throw on a resume or business card so that others can know you read these books.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't take the tests because that requires even more time than just reading the book. Right now with all of my current projects and starting school back up my time to study after work is limited. And reading is a lot easie than studying which requires way more focus.

For example I was setting up a new 2008 native AD network at work and I read what I neede out of a Microsoft Press book but there is a ton of stuff in it that did not apply or needed for what I was doing
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    The description for the job I'm about to move to stated that they wanted A+, Microsoft certs, and 5+ years experience. No mention of a degree. When I was interviewing with the supervisor and architect, though, one of them looked at my resume and told the other that I had a degree in Network Support as well.

Everything else aside, I feel like my AAS helped to put me a notch above someone with the same certs and experience. I was very qualified for the job either way, but his comment made me feel like my degree counted for something at least. Of course, I'm sure that varies from one interview to the next.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    It depends on where you live and what sort of job it is. You do not need an I.T degree to do an I.T job but employers want you to have one its a way of filtering applications which sucks cause it's really about the hands on stuff.
  • whutupperwhutupper Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    no degree here, save your money - by the time you graduate its obsolete and you left with debt. I see it as a net loss personally.
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I have an AA in Business Admin and a BS in Computer Info Systems...

as for is a degree important...it depends...in some cases yes and in some no.

Example...recently there have been changes in my department...restructering...so when it came time to dole out new positions...I got singled out due to what I believe is my degree for a higher position.

Was it due to my degree...who knows...they are highering another person to complete the time and in the job description a BS in one of the requirements.

So my take is this...if all you have is a degree and experience then you may do well...but you would do better with certs.

Both being equal (Degree + experience vs Certs + experience) complete your degree...it will translate more readily to upper level management positions than I.T Related certs.

How many IT managers have degrees in English...or Humanities...lol

There is another thread on here where I vent about that as well.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lolz....this is almost like Mac vs PC type threads. And even with degrees, you got Associates vs Bachelor's type battles.
    whutupper wrote: »
    no degree here, save your money - by the time you graduate its obsolete and you left with debt. I see it as a net loss personally.

a degree will never be obsolete. The principals never change, just what you're applying it to does. and if anything will be obsolete, it would be certifications. you got MCSA/E certs that have been retired(NT, 2000), as well as other vendors.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hold 3 associate degrees (IT, Business, Language), a BA, and completed 30 hrs toward a masters. My BA helped me obtain my present position. In my case, the degrees opened more doors.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    No degree for me either, though I wish I have one. I have I.T Certifications and some experience and I still haven't found my first full time permanent job yet, but over here the Bachelor isn't that much of a deal though some entry level jobs do ask for it but not most.
  • mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't have a degree and from my experience, it hasn't been necessary. I managed to get a job with a top university (I'm not gloating here, just making a point) with only 1 year work experience and basic certs.

I think having the right attitude, experience and a decent CV will get you just as far without a degree.
    I'm not saying a degree isn't worth having but it seems the job market in the UK is very different compared to the US. When I've looked at jobs here (UK), hardly any ask for a degree.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I currently hold a bachelor of arts degree in Criminology and Criminal Justice and am seeking a second bachelors degree in Cybersecurity.

Though I have a couple years of experience in break/fix, computer sales, and tech support, I, at least at first, seemed to always have my abilities put in question just because my degree reads CCJS and not CS (even with amazing references).

The bachelors program I am getting involved in this fall only requires the credits for the major (no pre-requisites) and it seems the credits that I've transferred from this spring semester will get me a certificate in computer networking on top of the degree. In the end, this seems like a worth-while choice if you are running into the same scenario I have or if your currently bachelors is impeding your progress in anyway.

As I come along I will be attaining entry to mid level certs to further strengthen my IT based knowledge and at the time of my second graduation, I will have a skill set so fierce that it will rock the security industry as we know it icon_cheers.gif (at least on an entry level scale haha). This is my resolve.

As an aside to this speech, it seems that 75% of jobs I've seen, at least in my area, have required either an A.A.S with more than five years worth of experience or with a Bachelors three or more. Some had just a high school degree requirement but the candidate would need around 15 years of experience.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes I have a Bachelor's degree from Devry University
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    No degree. I have lost out on a job or two not having it. I'll finish it up someday.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...