Options

Wic-2t connection problem

mathelizemathelize Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I used a smart serial cable to connect two 2600xm routers, the interfaces keep flapping. I tried different clock rates on the DCE side without any success. I tried frame relay as well, no joy. I just bought the wic-2t cards and cable on ebay. Any i deas on what i can do or the cards or the cable might be faulty?
when the interface is up i can't even ping it but i can ping another router connected via Fast Ethernet interface.
In my Lab
I have access to any cisco equipment I need

Comments

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    mathelize wrote: »
    I used a smart serial cable to connect two 2600xm routers, the interfaces keep flapping. I tried different clock rates on the DCE side without any success. I tried frame relay as well, no joy. I just bought the wic-2t cards and cable on ebay. Any i deas on what i can do or the cards or the cable might be faulty?
    when the interface is up i can't even ping it but i can ping another router connected via Fast Ethernet interface.

1, check physical layer
    2. check layer 2 your framing and so forth.
    3. Put a static router between both routers.
    4. Try new cables if you have access to any
  • Options
    mathelizemathelize Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Serial 1 of both routers are working now. Serial 0 of one or both might be faulty. Thanks
    In my Lab
    I have access to any cisco equipment I need
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Sorry to re-open a really old thread, but this is the same problem that I'm having.

I also have a smart serial cable to connect two 2600 routers, and one of the interfaces keep flapping but the other is fine. The is no config on either side except an ip address, hdlc encap and a clock rate on the DCE side.

Both interfaces on either side are exactly the same. On DCE side, S0/1 and S0/2 are the same except ip address, and on the DTE of the cable same exept ip addresses. I'm confused as to why on interface is flapping but not the other.

Is there any show command(s) that can help determine if this is a hardware fault with the wic-2t? I haven't yet ruled out the cable because I didn't have another one lying around, will do this tonight after work.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sorry if this question is a little silly, but I'm still pretty green in Ciscoland.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    LOTS of counterfeit WIC-2Ts out there. You can check some of the various error counters:
    Show interface serial x/x
    Show controller serial x/x

How about if you swap cards – Does the problem follow the card?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    pitviper wrote: »
    LOTS of counterfeit WIC-2Ts out there. You can check some of the various error counters:
    Show interface serial x/x
    Show controller serial x/x

How about if you swap cards – Does the problem follow the card?

Thanks for that. I know what I'm look for in relation to the CCNA requirements for these two commands, but not much else. Is there anything in the output that can identify a faulty card?

Yeah, it's probably is a faulty card, it was really cheap. I'll be swapping out the cable, and then the card over the weekend.

Not too far away, it's Friday afternoon here in NZ. :D
  • Options
    Got myself a new cable on Saturday and plugged it in, problem solved. Sorry for wasting your time. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice! At least it was a cheap fix :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT