Boson CCENT/ICND1 Practice Exam

dairou18dairou18 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was relatively confident in everything I've been studying up until taking the Boson practice test. I've used CBT Nuggets, Todd Lammle's CCENT book, and the Cisco Press CCENT/ICND1 book. I scored 60 something % on the Boson test after I think 161 questions.

Just wondering if anyone else had taken the test and what they thought of it. I thought I was prepared to take the real thing but I don't know now. icon_cry.gif

Comments

• videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used the Boson practice exams as well and got worried when I took ICND1. I actually found the Boson to be more difficult than the actual exam, which I passed. So if you are doing well on the Boson exams you should do fine on the actual test.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The practice test is way tougher than the exam. I feel you can explain everything from the objectives then I think you're fine. Plus you used up all the practice questions so if you keep using that practice test, you'll start to memorize questions and answers.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I was getting in the high 90's on the boson practice before I took my exam but I only got 75% my first go though. The questions are still useful for a few go throughs even if you memorize some just make sure you know why they are right.

I would agree the icnd1 boson test is tougher than the real deal. Just make sure you go over the 40% you got wrong and make sure you understand the answers. Also keep doing the boson exams until you get in the 90's. Even if you memorize some of the answers that's okay. Besides some of the real test is just simple memorization anyways. The reason everyone drills it in that you must actually understand the material rather than just memorize is because Cisco asks a lot of questions that require understanding. On the other hand you are almost definitely going to get some memorization question like what is the command for such and such or what is the default port for....
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'm scheduled for the ICND1 on Friday, so I'll let you know then. Some of those questions on the Boson test really make my brain hurt, though.

Be sure you take note of what areas you are scoring low in. Go back to the books and read over those chapters/sections again. I've read the Cisco press book 2x, Todd's book 1x, watched the CBT Nuggets and I still plan to look over my weak areas in each book again before the exam.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    I don't know what to say, I was going to take the boson 1 time about 1 week before test. then keep studing and take it. Some here said boson was harder and one said easier. I think I going to be as ready as I can if I paas or not, o-well I'll give a yell or setup another test.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No doubt it's tougher than the actual exam (IMHO) ...

Keep taking it and study up on the sections you are weakest at. Then make sure you know why the answer is correct.

Taking the test helped me hone in on the concepts and better understand the material overall. The test is just one more study tool, keep using it over and over again .... not to memorize, but to learn.

Most people felt the same way and looking back, suggest the same thing. The practice test is harder, but it teaches you.

Just don't underestimate the test though and shoot for the 80's on the practice test you should be fine. icon_study.gif
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • dairou18dairou18 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam again today after a couple of days to try avoid memorizing questions. 88% this time... Most of the time I was just being stupid and not reading the question right. The only questions that really threw me were the ones that ask you to pick the most specific route based on the routing table that they show you.

What do you guys think about the "Do I Know This Already" questions in Odom's book? I thought quite a few of them were difficult because it seemed like there were several options that could be correct.

I can't stop worryingicon_cry.gif...taking ICND1 on Friday and I'm tempted to push it back.
  • rackemuprackemup Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi dairou18,

I used the Boson exams to achieve my CCNA - they are CHALLENGING to say the least. I almost drove myself crazy taking them over and over!

I felt Odom's questions sometimes PROVOKED arguments for other answers. Ultimately, I've learned - ya gotta give what Cisco thinks is the best choice. However frustrating that may be.
    From what little experience I have with Cisco exams, I've learned to just go for it. Try not to push back your exam - something I've done myself in the past. The mental stress BEFORE an exam is always much greater (at least for me). Afterwards, pass or fail - you'll be more experienced for the next round.

Best of luck to you!
    Passed it on Friday and I agree - the Boson questions were more difficult that the real deal. When I was studying using the Boson test I would try my best on every questions to understand not just why the right answer was right, but also why the other ones were wrong. That seemed to be very important on the real exam as well.
  • dairou18dairou18 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed!!!!!!!icon_cheers.gif Thank you all for all your advice and tips.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS on the pass Dairou18!!! icon_thumright.gificon_cheers.gif

Alan... those gifs that you post are awesome!!! :D
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Awesome, man - feels good, doesn't it?
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    rackemup wrote: »
    Hi dairou18,

I used the Boson exams to achieve my CCNA - they are CHALLENGING to say the least. I almost drove myself crazy taking them over and over!

I felt Odom's questions sometimes PROVOKED arguments for other answers. Ultimately, I've learned - ya gotta give what Cisco thinks is the best choice. However frustrating that may be.
    From what little experience I have with Cisco exams, I've learned to just go for it. Try not to push back your exam - something I've done myself in the past. The mental stress BEFORE an exam is always much greater (at least for me). Afterwards, pass or fail - you'll be more experienced for the next round.

Best of luck to you!

Trawling through some old Boson threads as I've just finished 3-4 months of study from Odom's ICND1 book + CBT Nuggets, notes/review etc.

Man am I with you on this one. Some of the questions make me think 'damn you Boson'!! Some are set up to catch you out!!!

I've been searching for a strategy seeing as there are a limited number of questions in the Boson exam that comes with the Odom book. I think I'm going to:

1. Take a practice test based on 60 questions
    2. Study the weak areas
    3. Take a second practice test on 60 questions
    4. Study the weak areas
    5. Go through all of the boson questions in study mode

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP