how do you search for jobs?

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im searching for jobs in the internet.

I search for hospitals and Universities cause they all have an IT Department. Though I hate going through Human Resource cause they dont give a damn about you.

I also use Monster.com and Dice.com but I hear companies put those open positions because they are forced too by law! They already have someone in mind for those positions.

Man I need contacts! Dont have much and the guys I emailed havent responded to me yet.

How do you guys search for jobs?
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly the best method is through networking. Me and my friends usually get our jobs through someone we know from the past or someone we just meet hanging out with groups of friends. But to contradict all of that, I did obtain the current IT position I have now through careerbuilder.com. I also did put my resume out to the other sites like monster.com and dice.com. I didn't get too many hits on my resume and hardly any responses. But for some reason after I got my A+ and Network+ and revamped my resume after numerous times of changing it I got a call. Then followed a technical interview over the phone. Then an in-person interview. Then I was hired.

It will be one year in June since I've been in this job and I still keep my resume up to date. I have also obtained my Server+, MCP in 70-210 & 70-218 since last June and put my experience down in my resume to this day. And guess what, I get calls all the time now from people wanting to hire me. So an advice for you is to never give up when it's down because one of these days you'll get a break. Always network and never burn bridges because the opportunity is there.

Another advice is even when you get your position and your making the money, keep going for your certifications because technology is constantly moving forward and the best usually keep the jobs when it comes to downsizing.

Good luck!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You can try making yourself available for temporary or contract work via sites like http://www.computerassistant.com/.
  • drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also use Monster.com and Dice.com but I hear companies put those open positions because they are forced too by law! They already have someone in mind for those positions.

Whoever told you that has bad information. My company posts openings on Monster. It costs about $2000 per job posting which is a big chunk of change for most small businesses. There's no point in throwing away that kind of money when you already know who you're going to hire.
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the link! Hope I am good enough to be accepted.

from what I hear though it is not worth spending so much time with Monster.com when it comes to searching for jobs. They dont call you back and if they do like they did to me was for something else and not your related field of work.

Heck one guy called me for doing sales.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JD, I'm just curious, have you ever got any calls from the computerassistant site? I checked it out, looks very interesting.
    I just signed up there myself. I have a friend that has worked jobs through them for a while, and he has been trying to get me to "hang out my shingle" and find some part-time work. As luck would have it, I just got a "real job," so I won't be freelancing after all. Also, there are a dozen other people advertising on there that are within five miles of me, so the competition for work is stiff. I don't know how many of them are active, though.

I was looking for the same kind of site for software programmer contractors, but haven't found a good one.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Check this out, I did a search in my area (Chicago area) for my zip code. I saw one guy that had MCT with the listing of Microsoft Certified Technician next to it and MCE calling it Microsoft Certified Expert, Since I just got my application approved for MCT which is actually Microsoft Certified Trainer, I find it laughable that people would list certifications that don't even exist. And to date there's no Microsoft Certified Expert either. Sounds like this guy is a fake. whadda you think?
    Either he's very smart--but lacks certifications--and knows he needs a marketing edge to beat his competition, or he's just being plain stupid and hoping his prospective customer are impressed by the acronyms. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    that would be my first guess that he is knowledgeable and does know his stuff and wanted an edge somehow on the competition.

People posted here before I believe that some employers dont know if Network+ exists or dont bother to check. I dont know if employers know every certification out there and know how to check for it.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Before I had alot of experience I went to local colleges & got graduate packets & went door to door droping off resumes. Now, I can network with my contacts. F%#&k the internet for a job search. 80% of all jobs out there ARE NOT listed. I want to talk to someone when dropping off a resume' some companies don't even know they have a position untill they see your resume. I hate even thinking about the market- Been there, done that-, I'm going golfing- GL! ***GONE***
  • CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    I was looking for the same kind of site for software programmer contractors, but haven't found a good one.

Check out www.rentacoder.com.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
    Cherper wrote:

98,028 coders all bidding for projects? Now there's some competition! icon_wink.gif