Checkpoint is pretty neat; trying for CCSA and have a few Qs

Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys. I'm going crazy from the management-oriented SANS certs so I want to do some technical certs for a while. I'm very Cisco heavy so I don't think I'll get much value from the CCSP. On the other hand, I notice that more and more of my clients are relying on Checkpoint firewall deployments. My goal is to supplement my existing Cisco knowledge as well as my GCFW with a few other vendors. I think it's important to diversify my knowledge base on as many platforms as possible.

That being said, I figure the best way to learn the gear is to play with it, so I've downloaded R65 and R70 and installed them in VMWare. I set up a Windows XP host in VMWare as a management server and configured each of the firewalls to allow SmartConsole access to and from that host. I'm sifting through the online product help files (which are very helpful) and think its pretty intuitive. It looks like I should be able to set up a VPN between the two firewalls without much fuss.

I have a few questions for you guys. Obviously the R70 platform is the newer of the two so it makes sense to certify in that. How much material is out for the R70 exam?

Thanks!
CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
pbosworth@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm going crazy from the management-oriented SANS certs so I want to do some technical certs for a while. I'm very Cisco heavy so I don't think I'll get much value from the CCSP. On the other hand, I notice that more and more of my clients are relying on Checkpoint firewall deployments. My goal is to supplement my existing Cisco knowledge as well as my GCFW with a few other vendors. I think it's important to diversify my knowledge base on as many platforms as possible.

That being said, I figure the best way to learn the gear is to play with it, so I've downloaded R65 and R70 and installed them in VMWare. I set up a Windows XP host in VMWare as a management server and configured each of the firewalls to allow SmartConsole access to and from that host. I'm sifting through the online product help files (which are very helpful) and think its pretty intuitive. It looks like I should be able to set up a VPN between the two firewalls without much fuss.

I have a few questions for you guys. Obviously the R70 platform is the newer of the two so it makes sense to certify in that. How much material is out for the R70 exam?

Thanks!

Aside from the website PDFs and numerous books try and get your hands on the course book for R70, just like with Novell if you can get your hands on the coursebook you are well set with sufficient material to learn the platform and pass the tests. I have been working with Checkpoint on and off since September 2000 and it's a valuable product to know something about. Widely deployed.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Hey Paul,

Have your colleagues run into much problems with the NGX Checkpoint range via their deployments?

I inherited a NGX R65 deployment via a acquisition - 2 x Clusters in multiple sites...... It is a very stable system as long as you don't touch the underlying setup....

:p

I've got a pair in our lab as well... and I've recently been labbing up a migration of routing\interconnects and the firewalls seem to be very flaky when playing around with the VRRP config....

You say the SANS certs make you crazy..... lets hope the checkpoints don't make you twice as crazy... :p

Totally agree that its a great move career wise to expand knowledge into other vendor kit so you aren't a one vendor wonder...... When are you going to start hitting some Juniper kit??? I think I might be a convert.... ;)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The course book seems to be the best reference at the moment but it is expensive....I think like $600.

The online documentation is pretty good though...been studying checkpoint myself although the R65 at the moment.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The course book seems to be the best reference at the moment but it is expensive....I think like $600.

The online documentation is pretty good though...been studying checkpoint myself although the R65 at the moment.

Yeah the course book is $600!! which is about £400 of my money. We are about to have a cluster installed in our DC so im figuring now is a good time to push for this cert.. Lets face it, i would be silly to turn a blind eye to hands on experiance with a cert in my position.

Oh, btw, theres 25% off there exams too: http://www.checkpoint.com/services/education/leads/training/index.html
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good find on the discount!! Thanks!

I will say though that this cert doesn't seem to bad although I'm finding little things about their products that annoy me. I guess that you'll see that anywhere though. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • BobMeadBobMead Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check Point is the firewall vendor of choice for many top companies. Great skills to pick up.
    Press RETURN to get started

:roll: