should i still apply? process changed

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
initially job seekers were supposed to send resumes to [email]hr@...com[/email]. the job posting was all over the place from workopolis, within school career site, monster, and etc. so, i sent my resume.

after resume sent, they replied and said the applying process has changed. want everyone to apply through the corporate site. i think they want all resumes collected into one place rather than having the recruiter to open word document files here and there.

now, they make us go through a series of questions and want us to type out our answers. it may take at least 30minutes to 1 hour. that's not a problem. the problem is that the job posting requirements looks as if it has changed from 0 experience required to 2-5 years!!! but they still encourage me to apply...im afraid i dont even have relevant experience.

still risk it?

Comments

• apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    laptop wrote: »
    initially job seekers were supposed to send resumes to [email]hr@...com[/email]. the job posting was all over the place from workopolis, within school career site, monster, and etc. so, i sent my resume.

after resume sent, they replied and said the applying process has changed. want everyone to apply through the corporate site. i think they want all resumes collected into one place rather than having the recruiter to open word document files here and there.

now, they make us go through a series of questions and want us to type out our answers. it may take at least 30minutes to 1 hour. that's not a problem. the problem is that the job posting requirements looks as if it has changed from 0 experience required to 2-5 years!!! but they still encourage me to apply...im afraid i dont even have relevant experience.

still risk it?

If you are comfortable with the rest of the job requirements, then it doesn't seem like a risk to me -- go for it!
    Usus magister est optimus
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not? What have you got to lose?

Since I don't hire people, I'm not an expert. But from what I'm told, they are typically looking for someone with 60% of the qualifications. What this means, is that they are going to work their @** off to make up for their lack of experience. In economic times like this, maybe that has changed since higher qualified are willing to work for less.

Worst case is they don't hire you. Better case is that they interview you, and you can get some interview experience, and Best case is that you found yourself a new job.

Good luck

(Think how many other people might pull out now and give you an advantage.)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I will continue and reapply again and luck it out.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like another poster already said - who cares. What do you have to lose? If anything you'll get more experience with the interview process even if you don't get hired.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    it may take at least 30minutes to 1 hour. that's not a problem.
    If you don't have a problem with taking that time to fill out the application, then do it.

If the experience is now a "must have" for them, then they should be able to figure out in 10 seconds or less whether to spend any more time considering your application further.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    By doing it this way they're weeding out a lot of people who have either had someone else do their resume or used a "template" aka just copied someone else's resume and put some of their own info on it. A lot of these people are either too lazy or stupid to answer the questions on an application so those people may, hopefully, get weeded out. I don't mean to offend anyone who's had theirs done by a pro, I've had mine done by a pro before (very poorly I might add)
    Go ahead and apply for these positions again. I've been doing the same thing you're doing right now and I rarely meet 50% of the requirements ( 3 - 5 years exp for entry level, gimme a break) and I'm still trying.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I applied to a position that I did not meet the all of the requirements of. I did the phone interview and now have an in person screen in a week. Do I feel that I meet all of the requirements? Nope. A few of them would take some major research (application and web server security). But I am willing to learn. Remember you job is to convence them you are the **** and they would be foolish to look anywhere else, regardless of how you feel inside.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    still risk it?

What exactly would you be risking by applying for this job?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.